Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:38:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Yates

Started by holyzombiejesus, June 19, 2019, 08:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

He's so good. Such horribly sad books containing fucked-up and cruel people. Revolutionary Road is probably his most famous book but I think others (Easter Parade and Cold Spring Harbor) are better. I like this quote from the Goodreads review of CSH: "But if there is no better chronicler than Yates of the quiet tragedy of thwarted suburban lives, Cold Spring Harbor is a testament to the absolute necessity of dreaming; for Yates's protagonists, hope may be all there is. "

nw83

Boringly, I do think Revolutionary Road is his masterpiece, as good as The Easter Parade is. My favourite Yates could possibly be Eleven Kinds of Loneliness though, as I can't think of a better short story collection off the top of my head.

c

Quote from: nw83 on October 09, 2019, 02:47:00 PM
Boringly, I do think Revolutionary Road is his masterpiece, as good as The Easter Parade is. My favourite Yates could possibly be Eleven Kinds of Loneliness though, as I can't think of a better short story collection off the top of my head.

I boringly agree. I tried Cold Spring Harbor on this recommendation and I couldn't get on with it. It just seemed to slip and slide about the place, and lacked the propulsive direction of RR. I'm not saying it was a BAD OR WRONG book of course but it was less for me than it was for the op