Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:01:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Boys (Amazon Prime, starts 26 July)

Started by mothman, June 20, 2019, 01:23:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

Full trailer: https://youtu.be/06rueu_fh30

Really liked the comic. Karl Urban sounds like the perfect casting (though he really looks even more like Butcher without the beard). Obvious change is, Hughie isn't Scottish nor played by Simon Pegg (who he was drawn to resemble) - but Pegg is apparently playing his dad. Meta. Or something.

BeardFaceMan

It's about time someone gave superheroes a proper fucking kicking, I just hope its as disrespectful as the comic.

phantom_power

Judging from that trailer it is pretty true to the comics but I am not sure I can handle Urban's cockney accent

Moribunderast

For a second I thought this was a series-long adaptation of the (exceedingly good yet exceedingly grim) Australian film of the same name and I got simultaneously excited and terrified.

Puce Moment

Quote from: Moribunderast on June 20, 2019, 08:15:27 AMFor a second I thought this was a series-long adaptation of the (exceedingly good yet exceedingly grim) Australian film of the same name and I got simultaneously excited and terrified.

Me as well. They did it with Animal Kingdom so it isn't a massive stretch.

This shit, on the other hand, is fucking hilarious. A whole series of that accent? Hehe.

kalowski

I remember reading this and thinking it was shit. This trailer suggests I was right.

Replies From View

Oh I was hoping this would be about Laurel and Hardy.

BeardFaceMan

Other than the ropey cockney accent, that trailer does make it look like the'vye done a good job with this. Hopefully they learned their lesson with Preacher and don't stray too far from the source material.

phantom_power

I think The Boys is more about the set up and set pieces rather than the actual plot. I think it may not suffer too much if they stray a bit from the source material. That said, I haven't read the comic in years and can't really remember the plot

Jake Thingray

Quote from: Replies From View on June 20, 2019, 07:49:19 PM
Oh I was hoping this would be about Laurel and Hardy.

I was hoping for Tony Garnett and Jess Conrad, and wondering who'd replace Dudley Sutton and Ronald Lacey.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: phantom_power on June 21, 2019, 02:29:39 PM
I think The Boys is more about the set up and set pieces rather than the actual plot. I think it may not suffer too much if they stray a bit from the source material. That said, I haven't read the comic in years and can't really remember the plot

"Supes are all cunts and theres some people that go round giving them a kicking to keep them in order" pretty much sums it up, they seem to have kept the core of that from the trailer, I'm more optimistic for this than I was for Preacher anyway. There was a big over reaching plot with Butcher and Homelander and lots of other small stories and sub-plots but the focus was definitely more on "lets make superheroes look as ridiculous and cunty as possible".

PlanktonSideburns

Small Man Big Horse

The first season of this is now out (with a second already commissioned), I've got a whole bunch of feelings about it, many of them mixed. My biggest problem is how all over the place Karl Urban is as Butcher, his accent is appalling and I don't like the changes they've made to his character either, the fact that he's an independent contractor and not employed by the CIA (one and a half episodes in, at least) makes him seem a lot weaker, and yet more of a cunt if anything. The guy playing Hughie's a bit weak too, oddly unsympathetic despite everything that's happened to him, and I'm not fond of Simon Pegg as his shitty Dad too. On the plus side the superhero side of things works for me, I'm liking Erin Moriarty as Starlight a lot, the other supes are suitably cuntish, and Frenchie and the girl seem cool, though they've not been in it a lot so far. I just wish they'd got the characterisation of Butcher and Hughie down better, but I guess there's time for that to be worked on.

Mister Six

I'll sit down to watch this tonight but based on the pilot I am worried that they've jettisoned all the stuff that made the comic good (the criticism of corporate America, Ennis' trademark humanity, the surprisingly well-defined and in the end almost tragic Homelander) and leaned in hard on all the stuff I found tiresome (the OTT violence, the wacky irreverence and so on).

Homelander openly killing people, the supes apparently not having the V connection and whatever the fuck is going on with that dolphin (an escapee from The Filth? Grant Morrison will be pissed off) all caused me concern.

Also I love Karl Urban, but he seems miscast and poorly written - an openly aggressive, shouty bastard, where Billy in the comics was mostly unnervingly quiet and calm until, terrifyingly, he wasn't.

bgmnts

Karl Urban is a new addition to my actors pantheon, up there with Bill Paxton, Sam Rockwell and Sean Bean, but I dont have any inkling to see this.

Mister Six

Spoke a bit too soon, it seems - that first episode was really, really good (Urban's dodgy accent aside). They look to have kept most of the stuff that I was worried they'd ditched, and some of the changes - such as Butcher initially wanting to use Hughie just for his access to The Seven rather than recruiting him straight off the bat - work well. Annoys me that Homelander was able to straight up murder a bank robber in front of everyone without anyone caring though.

I like Hughie more than I'd expected; the actor is really, really good. And Urban is winning me over, the charismatic bastard, but I'd still prefer a more comics-accurate cold, calculating Butcher played by someone like Ray Stevenson.

Also surprised by how relatively subdued it is, given the zaniness in the trailers. Interested to see how much that sticks.

bgmnts

Halfway through episode 1 and trying to figure out how it is different from the Watchman but I like the idea of superhero collateral damage and its effect on normal people and applying the helicopter parenting trope to superheroism is a funny idea. Plus Simon Pegg turned up which made me happy.

Actually this is brilliant, superheroes are everywhere, part of every day life and have been turned into a bland corporate machine, all about branding and marketing and profit. Not exactly subtle but very apt.

Edit - oh and Karl Urban's accent is abysmal and I don't understand it. He's not even trying and its breaking every few words. Maybe thats part of the character I do not know.

Small Man Big Horse

It is slowly growing on me, I just wish I didn't dislike the way they're portraying Hughie.

Mister Six

Seen the second episode now and am really impressed. I like that they're fleshing out Frenchie and will presumably do the same for The Female; they were fine as wacky OTT characters in the comic, but it's not enough to sustain 10-hour-long seasons.

I'm also fine with new Hughie. He's got a bit more weight to him, which fits with the show as a whole. I just hope they're able to make his relationship with Butcher the same as in the comic. The comic's epic climax - with Vought-American's schemes, Homelander's own designs and Butcher's angle - made The Boys one of my favourite Ennis works, and I'll be gutted if they can't (or don't) recreate that on the show.

Only qualm I have is the transformation of James Stillwell from terrifyingly cold-blooded company man to the rather more human Madelyn Stillwell. The dynamic between James and Homelander was really original and compelling, and I don't find the weird mother-son thing with Madelyn quite as interesting (although probably works better for a serialised TV show - we'll see).

Also fuck me, I just realised Homelander is Lucas Hood (or "Lucas Hood") from Banshee! Christ, he scrubs up well.

bgmnts

Finished it this morning. I assume there is a second season in production.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: bgmnts on July 27, 2019, 04:00:26 PM
Finished it this morning. I assume there is a second season in production.

If you trust SMBH:

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 26, 2019, 10:40:39 PM
The first season of this is now out (with a second already commissioned)

Small Man Big Horse

Puce Moment

Going to go in on this tonight. I will remain open-minded and hope the accent doesn't distract.

I mean, I love the basic concept. It's great.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Is this the thing featured in the new Slipknot video? Ultra-violent things?

Mister Six

Having done a quick Google, yes - in the Solway Firth music video. Not wholly representative of the show, though, which has a solid plot and characterisation too. And jokes!

Lord Mandrake

Karl Urbans accent isn't that bad, a bit wobbly but no Cheadle also the character is an ex-pat. It's his scourge accent from Ragnarok.

Cuellar

Couldn't they have at least cut any instances of the words 'twat' or 'wanker' from the script?

It's like hearing an English person say 'panties' - euuurghhh

Watched the first ep of this and really enjoyed it too. It kept far closer to the comics than I thought it would.

Only thing that niggled was Pegg's American accent. It's probably an alright effort, but just seems so strange coming out of his face. Same as with Martin Freeman when he pops up in the Marvelverse.

jobotic

It was good but I found the comics quite depressing, although excellent. Only watched the first episode so looking forward to finding out what happens as I've forgotten most of it.

I'm just going to have to accept that Butcher is Australian to get past the accent.