Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:05:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What's the only number...

Started by Norton Canes, June 20, 2019, 09:56:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

...where the letters that spell it (in English) are in alphabetical order?

And more importantly, how long before you worked it out, or gave up? I saw the question and answer together yesterday so unfortunately I didn't get a chance to apply my formidable intellect, but I asked half a dozen people, and most of them spent a minute or so thinking about it before going "no idea". Do people get stuck on "there are so many numbers it'll take me ages to go through them all"?

jobotic

forty

Took me a minute. I'm the best.

Is it right?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Danger Man

Having Googled the answer I would never have worked it out because I don't know the word.

Chollis

Was going to try it but could already see jobotic's answer with my exceptional peripheral vision. Thanks for ruining the thread and my day.

Norton Canes

It is forty. You only need to go through 16 numbers to get to it, missing out the ones with duplicate elements - 14-19, 21-29, 31-39. And even if you don't start by counting up from zero, it clearly can't be anything with 'hundred', 'thousand' or 'million/billion' etc. in it.

One of the people I asked said "It's not a complicated number like three hundred and eighty one million or something is it?"

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

Here's one that should be simple to answer. Tell me how long it took you

For what classes of ODEs (Ordinary Differential Equations), describing dynamical systems, does the Lyapunov's second method formulated in the classical and canonically generalized forms define the necessary and sufficient conditions for the (asymptotical) stability of motion?

Inspector Norse

Forty

That's the number of seconds I have been thinking about it and I still can't get the answer!

No actually the answer is "forty" and it took me probably that many seconds. I just went through the numbers zero-twelve and then up all the increments of ten.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 20, 2019, 10:11:27 AM

For what classes of ODEs (Ordinary Differential Equations), describing dynamical systems, does the Lyapunov's second method formulated in the classical and canonically generalized forms define the necessary and sufficient conditions for the (asymptotical) stability of motion?

Ooh I think I know this one, is it Clark Gable?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

One of these days, I'll hit you all with "Grey Elephants from Denmark".

kittens

well, upon seeing the question i turned my screen off and tried to work it out. i came to the answer 'four' and thought 'good on me for stopping and getting to the bottom of that'. i wasn't far off. u and r are from the far end of the alphabet, where they keep all the freaky letters like x and z- i try not to go that far myself, so makes sense i wouldn't be sure of the order.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Norton Canes on June 20, 2019, 09:56:40 AM
I asked half a dozen people, and most of them spent a minute or so thinking about it before going "no idea". Do people get stuck on "there are so many numbers it'll take me ages to go through them all"?

I know the obvious answer is, I'm hanging out with (or related to) the wrong people

Norton Canes

Actually... maybe I'm hanging out with the right people

Inspector Norse

I could ask the people in my office if you like. Only thing is they're Swedish, and in Swedish it works with the numbers one and two.

Keebleman

Forty. (Took me a week.)

paruses

All the classes.

[Edit classical AND canonically generalized forms - didn't see that bit. No idea now.]

Captain Z

All the different classes.

plain...

Twed

That's not maths, it's Wikipediaing

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Chollis on June 20, 2019, 10:04:11 AM
Was going to try it but could already see jobotic's answer with my exceptional peripheral vision. Thanks for ruining the thread and my day.

forty/forty vision

fuck, that's awful. might have a nap

Norton Canes

Quote from: alan nagsworth on June 20, 2019, 03:44:48 PM
forty/forty vision

fuck, that's awful. might have a nap

twenty/twenty would have worked better

Icehaven

So which number has them in reverse alphabetical order? This shouldn't take you long.

madhair60

Quote from: icehaven on June 20, 2019, 03:56:28 PM
So which number has them in reverse alphabetical order? This shouldn't take you long.

Zyx.

paruses

Zro.

That's how I spell it. I don't want to discuss it any further.

Quote from: icehaven on June 20, 2019, 03:56:28 PM

Also e.

Nope - the answer to both questions is 0.  Spelt "O".  As in O-one eight-one-one eight-o-five-five.