Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:20:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Harry Potter Wizards Unite - Niantic’s Third Game

Started by Barry Admin, June 20, 2019, 08:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Following on from the ground-breaking Ingress and Pokémon Go, this launches tomorrow, although everyone on Android is playing it already.

Anyone here going to try it out? Anyone playing it already? I'll definitely be trying it tomorrow, and am quite intrigued, even though I have no interest in Harry Potter and know next to nothing about the franchise.

Sound like a mix of Ingress - with glyph hacking being used to cast spells - and presumably a lot of PoGoo stuff too, where you catch monsters, or whatever. Are there gyms?

Again, absolutely adore me some augmented reality, and this is meant to work fine on old phones too, so I'll be getting stuck in and seeing what it's all about.

Barry Admin

Meh, don't like it. Reserved my username ages ago but couldn't use it, bad start. The gameplay seems like a PoGo reskin, with a shit version of Ingress glyphing. The encounters are boring, and worst of all, it seems there's no gym game, just these fortresses where you stand and do uninspiring PVE battles.

Think I'll stick to Ingress and PoGo. I sadly don't think we'll ever again see an AR game that's as amazing as Ingress, in terms of intelligent, challenging gameplay and a steep difficulty curve.

Dex Sawash

Saw a banner ad for this and wondered if it would put you off both the other games by association.

Barry Admin

Hehehe nah, I don't care. Would take a lot for me to stop thinking Ingress is one of the greatest games of all time.

Was in town yesterday for the Ingress bonus AP and saw a few people playing Wizards, but no huge rush like there was with PoGo, and which I sadly missed.

Did meet a guy I know, him and his kid were raving about WU and took me through some stuff. But more to it than I thought, seems... ok. I'll try it out a bit more and see what I make of it. The rustic style they're using for the map looks wicked.

Oh and Niantic fixed my username! Noticed when I was in a fortress with these guys. I'd been told I was shit outta luck and they couldn't fix it, which again just put me off the whole thing, but I'll crack on now and see what it's like.

Friend code is 4359 9001 7788

No one else trying it then, or just not admitting it? :-)

Cloud

Worth it for Arthur Weasley doing a duck impression. 

I don't love it but I quite like it.. it seems to me this one is more about the various 'collections' and game mechanics, the RPG style skill tree system etc, and the wandering about is more just so you can get to inns to get more spell energy.  By level 10 I'm starting to get a little bored of the encounters but to be fair that goes for PoGo too, it's just that Go introduced the game changing raids.

It's a good start and I'm enjoying the break from PoGo for a bit, but will need something more to it to appeal to me in the long term I think - I'm not really one for sitting around sorting through collections and stirring potions, which may just mean that this particular game isn't quite for me.  While the excitement of PoGo is taking down a legendary that is right in front of you, I think this game looks more likely to rely on you knowing that you're missing Mr Soandso's Widget from your Wizards and Widgets III collection and the only way to get it is teaming up for the extra-tough werewolves and death eaters in a level 10 pagoda challenge.

I don't think anything really beats Ingress for the purposeful walking from A to B to capture and link portals or do missions, or PoGo for the joyful simplicity of its collection system (Pokedex) and shiny hunting, but it has plenty of promise as yet another take on AR gaming.