Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:50:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The PS4 has been a disappointment

Started by The Boston Crab, June 20, 2019, 08:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I have barely turned on my PS4 more than five times in the past six months to a year. The number of times I've turned it on and played something in that time, I couldn't answer.

I have about two hundred games in my Library, I only ever bought digital, and I don't want to play any of it ever again. It's become a console to sell tellies and indulge director wank. God of War. Spider Man. Horizon. Dave Cage. Kojima. All that shit. Only Bloodborne, MGSV and Dark Souls 2 SOTFS have been worth my time on that machine but I've wasted a lot of time and money on desperately average crap. It's a total white elephant.

PSVR is something I bought twice, got all the major games for it and some extra shit and it's fucking crap apart from Tetris Effect. Astro Bot is OK in the same way that maybe Diddy Kong Racing is OK. Total waste of money and I'm going to flog the whole lot. Guess how much I'll get from CeX or whatever? Probably thirty quid.

Xbox One X isn't something I play very much but at least the multiplat stuff runs better on there. This gen has been a total stinker besides the Switch but even that is only good because of the likes of Rolling Gunner out today on the EU eShop.

If you'll play any old thing to pass the time reading or listening to some awful story, fine. PS4 is fine. That's not what gaming is about for me though.

Ketsui
Street Fighter 3
OutRun 2

This is the stuff dreams are made of.

biggytitbo

Urinal Cake

Puce Moment

Watching some guy walk along slowly while the next bit of graphics loads. Jesus christ. Spending eight days fiddling with the HDR settings and then just thinking it all looks the same anyway. You was robbed. The PS4 sounds like a Dyson Airblade. The stupid controller. The touch pad. The stupid light. Can't even go all in on the graphics it's so crap. Scrolling left and right for hours looking for any game that isn't the same as every other game on it. Bioshock. Bioshock 2. Bioshock 3. Bioshock 4. Bioshock 5. Bioshock 6. I'm just gonna throw it in a skip.

VelourSpirit

Look at all these, within the space of a few months! I'd take the bottom row alone over the entirety of this console generation really. I liked Wolfenstein and loved Yakuza 0. Still got Persona 5 on my shelf to get into. I really really wish I could get into Souls-like games - if I could I'd be absolutely loving the PS4.

biggytitbo

I'm more than happy with mine. I can play Uncharted, Spiderman, Bloodborne, Until Dawn, Horizon Zero Dawn etc, along with Prey, Dishonored, Hitman, Resident Evil, GTA, Wolfenstein etc, on one machine that's nicer to use than a pc. With all of the  much smaller number of good Xbox games coming to the pc anyway, and having no interest in Nintendo, Sony is the way to go for the kind of games I like.

The Culture Bunker

In terms of yer big franchise titles, I think the PS4 has often come up short: Fallout 4 and Mass Effect: Andromeda were both absolute dud; Red Dead Redemption 2 bored me to the point I can barely by arsed by the halfway point, same with Final Fantasy XV.

Funnily enough, the games that I've perhaps enjoyed the most could just as well have been on PS2, stuff like Bomber Crew and My Time At Portia.

However, XCOM2 was the absolute best gaming experience I've had in years, so there's always that in the PS4's favour.

madhair60

madhair60

Do you want me to actually list stuff I've enjoyed playing on the thing? Cos I will!

biggytitbo

Depends what kind of games you like doesn't it? They have their big exclusives, which are generally the kind of single player narrative games I like, and most of the 3rd party stuff I like is also better on PS4 than Xbox.

If that isn't the case for you then get yourself an Amstrad or something.

Kelvin

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 21, 2019, 05:52:22 PM
Depends what kind of games you like doesn't it? They have their big exclusives, which are generally the kind of single player narrative games I like, and most of the 3rd party stuff I like is also better on PS4 than Xbox.

Have all these years on the site as a character called Biggy just been a ploy to sell one more Amstrad, Alan?

peanutbutter

Quote from: TwinPeaks on June 21, 2019, 05:20:59 AMliked Wolfenstein and loved Yakuza 0. Still got Persona 5 on my shelf to get into. I really really wish I could get into Souls-like games - if I could I'd be absolutely loving the PS4.
Both PS3 games, no?

St_Eddie

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 21, 2019, 05:52:22 PM

As I say, TV flogging peasant fodder. Distraction abstraction. Foil Panini stickers, polished turds. Superhero movie tier bullshit. Mad Max was a mowie, now is a game. Nerd soma. Pedestrianisation of art. Digestible AIDS. Auto-immune parallax scrolling. Digital detritus. Ebola 2.0.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Whereas "shmups" are apparently high art.

Corect.

Fighting games.
Shmups.
Platformer.
Puzzle game.

The rest are just to have a career and sell telly. No inherent value or relation to the medium. Board games tier. Card games. Walking around lookin at graphics tier. Shit story's. 'actin'.

biggytitbo

I dunno what you keep going on about flogging TVs for. How do other games consoles work, via shadow puppetry?

Damn, seems I have touch a nerve! Maybe check your telly is in warranty before you use your Epipen

I reckon Crabby here doesn't actually play any games at all. Like most of his other threads, it's probably all just a pack of made up nonsense.

That's closer to reality than you're joke might even think. I bought a lot of games but I don't play them because theyre shit. Just havin a look. God of War. RDR2. Horizon. Shadow of Colossus. Astroy Boy. Resident Evil Vii. Sea of Thieves. Tomb raider. Godo of War. Residnet evil 2. Spiderman. Absolutely no reason to exist except sell games to people and sell another telly.

It's a theory, anyway. You could also say that different people like different games.

biggytitbo

Quote from: The Boston Crab on June 21, 2019, 07:58:44 PM
Damn, seems I have touch a nerve! Maybe check your telly is in warranty before you use your Epipen

I think I had a TV before i bought a game console, I'm not 100% sure though, it could be that I bought the console first and tried to plug it into the microwave, I can't honestly remember.

St_Eddie

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 21, 2019, 08:47:47 PM

I think I had a TV before i bought a game console, I'm not 100% sure though, it could be that I bought the console first and tried to plug it into the microwave, I can't honestly remember.

I've never owned a TV but I do own several consoles.  I purchase a game, put the disc in the system and use the power of my imagination to play it.  I've yet to be disappointed by a game.  I'll never understand the hatred directed towards the likes of Bomberman Act Zero and Bubsy 3D.  Both are masterpieces.

bgmnts

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 21, 2019, 08:47:47 PM

Completed Metro 2033 on Ranger Hardcore that way.

madhair60

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 21, 2019, 09:01:30 PM
I've never owned a TV but I do own several consoles.  I purchase a game, put the disc in the system and use the power of my imagination to play it.  I've yet to be disappointed by a game.  I'll never understand the hatred directed towards the likes of Bomberman Act Zero and Bubsy 3D.  Both are masterpieces.

Bubsy 3D is a visual feast, and I mean that. It's like playing the Money For Nothing video.

It's getting flogged at CeX, all of it. PSVR and everything.

PS3 was the machine to get me back into non-Nintendo gaming and it was great, such an eye opener. The plebs and scumbags actually had some stuff worth playing and it was a life changer. I can't say for the better but things changed. I never ever thought I'd ever cancel PS+, so great was the service back then.

Today is the day I opt out of the Sony PlayStation family until day one for PS5. I fired up God of War for another go to see if it was any better but it's an awful awful game. There's hardly any game to it at all. Just walk and talk through the same old caves with try hard HDR while the fans go absolutely mental. I played for one half an hour more and it's only gotten worse with time. Spiderman. Two minutes. Off. Horizon. Two minutes. Off. Let's go through all the games I have installed on it.

DariusBurst Chronicle Saviours is great but is it as good as the rare Darius Cozmic Collection which I imported from Japan for the Switch? Nowhere near.

Gran Turismo Sport is great but I don't have PS+ any more so it's pointless. SFV is the worst SF game ever made. Shadow of Colossus is a total snoozer. Some Berserk musou game. Pile of crap. The Bioshock Collection. Rubbish now. Journey is an all-timer but I been there done that twenty times. Ghost Blade HD is worthless now I have a Jap 360 and proper Cave games. Resident Evil 7 is awful. Persona 5 is not my thing. Yakuza is one joke stretched over a hundred hours of bad gameplay. I get it but I don't want to play it.

No Man's Sky is great but I'll never go back to it after fifty hours.

Bloodborne is an all-timer but I played it for five hundred hours or something. I killed it and never want to play it again.

MGSV is an all-timer but I'm never going back. Two hundred hours or something. Finished everything.

Until Dawn is fine but not my thing. Uncharted is fine, one and done.

Tetris Effect is fantastic but I've played enough Tetris in my life now. Astro Bot is about a tenth as good as the hype, nowhere near Nintendo quality on any level. Rez Area X is good the first time, like everything in PSVR. Great for five minutes the first time.

Goodbye, PS4. Goodbye, PSVR. Goodbye, PlayStation Move Controllers. Goodbye, PlayStation Camera. Thirty quid from CeX for the lot but feels great to just get them out of my house. You had your time, you had the power, I played Bloodborne, five hundred hour. Playdio, no one still love you.

castro diaz

You were great for the first five minutes.

Before you consider selling the best thing that never happened to you it might interest you to know that No Man's Sky is getting a free VR patch this summer.  Also I will take it off your hands for more than £30.  It means you don't have to go to a CeX and you can start to repair about of the reputational damage you've accrued these last few years.