Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:09:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Every HBO Show, Ranked

Started by Pearly-Dewdrops Drops, June 21, 2019, 12:30:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colacentral

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on June 21, 2019, 01:58:15 AM
That's all fair, and obviously they are both great shows with a legitimate claim to the top spot.

Personally, I think what you've described had already been done before (for example, Goodfellas), whereas the The Wire was a milestone because it was a fairly realistic look at urban crime in which all of the characters were morally ambiguous and equally complex, from drug hitmen to crooked cops.

As much as The Sopranos occasionally hinted at Tony's inner conflicts or the role of his upbringing, he is ultimately more or less a sociopathic character. Nothing in The Sopranos ever reached the heights of pathos of the Avon/Stringer story arc, for example, and Avon's realization that he is part of a system much larger than himself and that he lack the personal capacity to ever go straight. Great stuff.

Tony to Junior: "Can't you repeat something good? Don't you love me?"

Dozens of moments like that.

I also wouldn't say that Goodfellas did the same thing. I personally think it attempts to have its cake and eat it too: whatever Scorsese tries to say, he undoubtedly romanticises the mafia and gets excitement from both the glamorous side and the violence.

colacentral

Quote from: the science eel on June 21, 2019, 10:49:55 AM
No, not at all.

It was a genuine question although I suppose it might have come across as a bit snarky.

We tend to justify things with language after our visceral first reaction, right? I enjoy The Sopranos because the stories are really interesting and I like the acting and I like seeing people get beaten up and then the torment that follows. I'm not sure whether I go through any kind of soul-searching once the episode's finished.

The answer is yes, I think about what the show is "about" while I'm watching it, which is essentially what you're asking. Sometimes that doesn't become clear until after an episode ends and I've had time to digest it; sometimes it happens during a particular scene; sometimes only on a rewatch. It's part of the enjoyment of watching films and TV and why the best ones stick with you, surely. I'm sure we all respond to stories because they tell us something about ourselves, and the best ones, like The Sopranos and The Wire, are particularly good at it.

willy crossit

Quote from: non capisco on June 21, 2019, 01:36:25 AM
"You're flexin'! You're flexiiiiiiiin'!"

IT'S THE JACKEEEEEETTT

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on June 21, 2019, 10:09:28 AM
Enlightened and High Maintenance are amazing. Watch them if you haven't already.

I adore Enlightened but didn't get on with High Maintenance, despite being a smoker when I watched it. I only caught the first two episodes though, does it improve as it goes along?

I'd put Larry Sanders at no.1, The Soprano's at no.2 and Enlightened at no. 3 personally, but I've only seen the first seven episodes of The Wire and really need to go back to it at some point. I'd also put Carnivale much higher up, and move Sex and the City down to about no.50 (and I think the first season has some merit, but it got really bad by season 3).

Shit Good Nose

The Wire definitely number 1.  Still the best TV drama show made by anyone ever.  I tried with The Sopranos, really I did, but it just didn't click with me at all.  Sorry.  And Game of Thrones can fuck right off, quite frankly.

They don't like Dream On, though, do they!!  I used to love that when it was on channel 4.  But then I've not seen it since then, so maybe they're right.

Also, it says "EVERY HBO show", but where's all the el cheapo melodramatic soft focus Hallmark type stuff they were churning out in the 80s and early-mid 90s?

Sebastian Cobb

Not enough love for Six Feet Under and Carnivale.

chveik

John from Cincinnati n°1 obviously

Enrico Palazzo

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 21, 2019, 01:56:06 PM
I adore Enlightened but didn't get on with High Maintenance, despite being a smoker when I watched it. I only caught the first two episodes though, does it improve as it goes along?

I would absolutely stick with it. I liked it from the off but it definitely becomes more involving, and he's a charmer. It's a very optimistic show - a rare thing.

lebowskibukowski

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 21, 2019, 02:04:55 PM
The Wire definitely number 1.  Still the best TV show made by anyone ever.  I tried with The Sopranos, really I did, but it just didn't click with me at all.  Sorry.  And Game of Thrones can fuck right off, quite frankly.

In full agreement. I finally got around to start watching The Sopranos a couple of months ago and have watched about five episodes with indifference. It seems OK, but it just isn't grabbing me at all.

the science eel

Quote from: lebowskibukowski on June 21, 2019, 02:24:08 PM
In full agreement. I finally got around to start watching The Sopranos a couple of months ago and have watched about five episodes with indifference. It seems OK, but it just isn't grabbing me at all.

I felt the same. It only becomes "The Sopranos - greatest TV show ever" in the second season.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: the science eel on June 21, 2019, 02:38:00 PM
I felt the same. It only becomes "The Sopranos - greatest TV show ever" in the second season.

Not for me it didn't...

Sin Agog

I still think most Dennis Potter stuff is dimensions better than any HBO offerings (with the exception of Larry Sanders).

imitationleather

HBO looks at series 12 of Doctor Who feels massively inadequate.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on June 21, 2019, 02:23:42 PM
I would absolutely stick with it. I liked it from the off but it definitely becomes more involving, and he's a charmer. It's a very optimistic show - a rare thing.

Thanks for that, will obtain it soon.

Morrison Lard

Most of that list is utter guff.
Barry & Veep?!?
Do me a fuckin favour, sunshine..

Quote from: the science eel on June 21, 2019, 01:45:37 AM
Did you see the get-together they did earlier this year, Sopranos fans? It's great. Tony Sirico isn't in great shape tho'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSUFaSVPCRQ
Thanks for that, just watching it now.

Quote from: non capisco on June 21, 2019, 01:36:25 AM
I loved The Wire for the exact reasons hummingofevil eloquently pinpoints but I doubt I'll ever watch it again, whereas I've watched The Sopranos from start to finish in its entirety three times now.
I've done The Sopranos three times too, might go back for another viewing soon. Superb series.

peanutbutter

The list starts to fall off a fair bit once you get past Enlightened, fewer great shows than I thought (although I think I could apply this to TV as a whole). I guess excluding miniseries is a bit unfair as far as representing HBOs overall output goes.

Oddly low placements for Insecure, Girls and Looking. Looking looks like it's in the blob at the end that got zero votes, actually.
Barry's position presumably means the votes were done directly after that one amazing episode in season 2.

Anyways the official order is obviously:
1. Sopranos
2. the Wire
3. Larry Sanders
4. Enlightened
5. The Leftovers
6. Curb
7. Deadwood
8 to n-1. Everything that isn't the Newsroom
n. the Newsroom

Sin Agog

Just noticed that Robert Altman's Tanner on Tanner isn't on there. Not even in the early part of the list.  I honestly don't think there would have been a West Wing without that program (it even featured one of its principal cast members).  Was an early highlight when HBO was still seen as a platform for stand-up specials.  It also nailed the TV mockumentary format long before everyone started doing it.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Sin Agog on June 21, 2019, 06:25:56 PM
Just noticed that Robert Altman's Tanner on Tanner isn't on there. Not even in the early part of the list.  I honestly don't think there would have been a West Wing without that program (it even featured one of its principal cast members).  Was an early highlight when HBO still seen as a platform for stand-up specials.
No miniseries.

Sin Agog

Quote from: peanutbutter on June 21, 2019, 06:27:36 PM
No miniseries.

Hmm.  They included Carnivale, and I'd say the fact that that one starred Michael J. Anderson also qualifies it as a miniseries.

chveik

Quote from: Puce Moment on June 21, 2019, 11:16:35 AM
However, Flight of the Conchords at 25?

Yeah that one stuck out to me as well. I presume they are heavily weighing influence or "importance" in their rankings. Surely people in this thread are too, I can't conceive of a world where Larry Sanders is considered funnier than Flight of the Conchords or Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Early Curb is the best comedy HBO has produced (even if you bring in Mr. Show), but I hate the last season so much I am bumping it in favor of Flight of the Conchords as best HBO comedy.

NoSleep

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on June 22, 2019, 04:49:18 AM
Early Curb is the best comedy HBO has produced (even if you bring in Mr. Show), but I hate the last season so much I am bumping it in favor of Flight of the Conchords as best HBO comedy.

Flight of the Conchords 2nd season was a huge drop in quality, though.

phes

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 21, 2019, 04:23:13 PM
Thanks for that, will obtain it soon.

Another High Maintenance upvote here. It remains a little inconsistent but the overall trend for me is an increase in quality. It's a show I'd rank higher in a shows you love chart than a best shows chart. As mentioned upthread, it's quite an optimistic show and it's infectious - each episode drop last season was the TV highlight of my week, despite knowing some wouldn't make the grade. It's just a pleasure spending a half hour with The Guy each week - he straddles a sociable/lone wolf territory that feels very familiar and comforting

Dex Sawash

The Corner* isn't even on the list?

* insert Jody Corner joke

Ant Farm Keyboard

They didn't consider miniseries, though they did consider miniseries that ultimately got a sequel, such as Big Little Lies. Shows canceled after one season are on the list.

Harpo Speaks

Quote59. Lucky Louie (2006)
Before Louis C.K. and Pamela Adlon created Louie and Better Things for FX, they attempted this high-concept oddity that deliberately contrasted the staginess of The Honeymooners and Norman Lear sitcoms with extremely adult language and situations. Filmed in front of a live studio audience, Lucky Louie underscored its raw jokes about marital discord, questionable parenting, and sexual peccadilloes with gales of canned laughter, making the punchlines all the more uncomfortable.

Hmm.

The Wire would be number one for me. Just a masterful series. There's some even some very good stuff in the sub-par fifth season in my opinion.

jobotic

Is Generation kill on there or too short? I'd like to watch that again.

chveik

Quote from: jobotic on June 22, 2019, 03:44:29 PM
Is Generation kill on there or too short? I'd like to watch that again.

it's a miniseries too

oy vey

Larry Sanders should be higher. Every other comedy on the list owes a debt to it.

chveik

here's all you need to know

Top Tier HBO: The Sopranos, The Wire, Six Feet Under, The Leftovers
Second Tier HBO: John From Cincinnati, Carnivale, Rome, Oz, Curb Your Enthusiasm
Chernobyl Tier HBO: Girls

alright cheers