Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:38:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tory MP Mark Field grabbed a woman by the neck [split topic]

Started by finnquark, June 20, 2019, 11:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

What saved Prescott is the egg thrown into his head at point blank range would have hurt (there's a reason people have moved to milkshakes) and the egg-hurler fights back when thumped.

It was still a very dumb thing for Prescott to do, but Field has none of these excuses, not even one about surprise. He'll probably just get cautioned and relegated to the back benches for a couple of months.

Blue Jam

On Twitter this has predictably turned into "None of you Lefties would care if the protester had been a man WAH WAH MISANDRY", more whataboutery and strawmanning as people try and pretend this isn't about an elected representative treating the electorate with utter contempt and violently trying to shut down a peaceful protest.

These people actively want a fascist state,don't they?

Cuntbeaks

The cunt would have sat there like a little bitch had it been a bloke protestor. Terrified that he would've got a slap in the tits.

Chollis

I wonder if people would have been so quick to cry foul if it had been a baby

Blue Jam

Haven't people rewritten history on the whole Prescott thing? I remember him being called "Two Jabs" as a reference to the whole "Two Jags" incident and how he wasn't seen as a "Lefty" and defended by the left, but as an out-of-touch fatcat and a bully.

Also how people generally applauded that member of Chumbawumba who threw a bucket of ice water over him at the Brit Awards. He was absolutely raging... Now that was funny:

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 21, 2019, 12:01:09 PM
She runs an angora rabbit farm which produces angora wool. Of course the Daily Mail have painted her as some yogurt-weaving crazy cat lady rather than a business owner.

The Mail can never resist doing a hatchet job on an uppity feeeeeemale, even when they have absolutely no dirt on her
Oh aye - it makes me remember that Simpsons' ep when Homer wanted to head the Sanitation Department and ran a smear campaign against the incumbent (voiced by Steve Martin, I think), who complained that "you told people I lured children to my gingerbread house!"

We're getting to that level.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on June 21, 2019, 12:41:05 PM
The cunt would have sat there like a little bitch had it been a bloke protestor. Terrified that he would've got a slap in the tits.

If it had been a male protester he would have "instinctively" dived under the table.

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 21, 2019, 10:55:45 AMum, I think the point about being a person is NOT acting on violent instinct like a thug. you should behave diplomatically and assume good faith in other people in potentially heated situation. but that's beyond these thoroughly fucking horrible humans

Behaving diplomatically and assuming good faith in other people is all well good until you get shot, as MPs know.

Nothing lost by assuming the worst in these situations.

Buelligan

Something is lost.  Something very important, civil society.  If we allow insane exceptions like the lunatic who killed Jo Cox to be the arbiters of normal public behaviour, we lose everything.

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on June 21, 2019, 12:41:05 PM

I don't understand the what if it was a man hysteria.  It is an offence to lay hands on another person without their permission, whether your victim is a man or woman is not specified because it's irrelevant. 

Having said that, it's completely evident that, statistically, women are far less of a threat, when worrying about he likelihood of being physically or sexually assaulted, so any defence of what if battery acid, gun, giant unlubed dildo is even more of a stretch in Mark Field's case. 

DrGreggles

Quote from: Baron von Klaus on June 21, 2019, 12:49:58 PM

Remember that if you ever get assaulted for walking near someone.

EDIT: Shouldn't have brought this into it.

New folder

I'm actually disturbed by the amount of gammons defending him on twitter - and in a lot of cases even cheering him on. What the fuck is the matter with these people?

I'm amazed that tory MPs are backing him though. I would've thought that they would lose a lot of political capital over this. Is it really worth it to let one psychopath keep his job?

Buelligan

Quote from: Baron von Klaus on June 21, 2019, 12:54:20 PM
In fact, my uncle was murdered for just that. Wrong place, wrong time, so yes I do live with that.

Well then you need to think long and hard about why his assailant and people of that sort should be the ones dictating how we live.

sponk

Behaving diplomatically and assuming good faith in other people is all well good until you get shot, as MPs know.

Well an MP was stabbed, almost to death, by a woman a few years ago. I still think he was way too rough, but if you think climate change is such a vital issue that you're willing to trespass for a protest you should be prepared for some pretty unpleasant consequences.

Blue Jam

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on June 21, 2019, 12:45:29 PM
Oh aye - it makes me remember that Simpsons' ep when Homer wanted to head the Sanitation Department and ran a smear campaign against the incumbent (voiced by Steve Martin, I think), who complained that "you told people I lured children to my gingerbread house!"

We're getting to that level.

Didn't they once do a hatchet job on a female teacher by digging up some photos of her in some "inappropriate" sexy outfits, arguing that she wasn't fit to teach children... even though the photos were from a Halloween party she went to when she was at uni or something?

A friend of mine- a researcher who works on issues of sex and reproductive health- had a hatchet job run on about 15 years ago where she was painted as some hatchet-faced man-hater and as a result she got a load of abuse from proto-MRAs. She actually does a lot of research on men's health issues but the Mail didn't let that fact get in the way of a chance to stir up some outrage.

A few years ago I myself got an email from the press office, which had been circulated round our entire department, warning us that the Mail On Sunday were sniffing round for a story and if any of us were contacted we were not to speak to them. Apparently one of their journalists had been inspired to do a hatchet job on  a colleague... after seeing his obituary, and before his family had even had a chance to bury him. I really wanted to go to another media outlet and expose them for the maggots they are over that, but I couldn't because that would only have upset his grieving relatives.

...so yes, I do feel quite strongly about these hatchet jobs.

alan nagsworth

Thank god it was a woman and not a naked young boy smeared in goose fat. It wouldn't have been the neck he went for, I can tell you that!!

Funcrusher

Quote from: Buelligan on June 21, 2019, 12:50:31 PM

I don't understand the what if it was a man hysteria.  It is an offence to lay hands on another person without their permission, whether your victim is a man or woman is not specified because it's irrelevant. 

It is specified in the thread title here and in much of the internet discussion though.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Buelligan on June 21, 2019, 12:50:31 PM

It's just whataboutery, allowing people to deflect the attention away from an actual person who was the victim of an actual assault and onto a hypothetical male person. A way of shutting down the debate, in other words.

Fabian Thomsett

Cerys

'I mean, come on - why would she be wearing red if she wasn't expecting to get blood on her clothes?  Blood doesn't show on red, and as a woman that would have been foremost in her mind!
She was obviously prepared for violence!'

Blue Jam

Quote from: Fabian Thomsett on June 21, 2019, 01:07:01 PM
Thirty one rabbits? Asking for it IMO.

What a shame Glinner is too busy with his TERFy stuff to make a Bishop Brennan joke.

idunnosomename

im just more concerned how an elected representive of the people can behave that fucking horribly to people. theres no patience at all. and the idea that ooooh what if she was actually a BOMB and he was just being a brave boy removing her before she explodes oh fuck off. he's just had fucking enough with them

Fabian Thomsett

Thirty rabbits is misfortune; thirty one is carelessness.

BlodwynPig

Myself and Pancreas ate luncheon at his private members club where we saw one woman (it seems a very exclusive club and I'm even afraid to mention the members we saw there or the 'scandalous' stories I heard for fear of recriminations). Anyway, if our meal had been interrupted by the average Joe/Joana on the street, I would have thought nothing of resorting to physical abuse to protect my veal escalopes and white asparagus...

Blue Jam

I don't get all these people pointing out that the protesters were trespassing- yes, they were, protesters often risk arrest when protesting, that's their choice and often they're willing to face the consequences. That still doesn't make it alright to assault someone. One crime does not cancel out another.

idunnosomename

Man who pelts Prescott with rotten egg recluse who lives in the countryside with 108 sheep

BlodwynPig

Pie and pint?

Gerald Fjord

Quote from: sponk on June 21, 2019, 12:56:45 PM
Well an MP was stabbed, almost to death, by a woman a few years ago. I still think he was way too rough, but if you think climate change is such a vital issue that you're willing to trespass for a protest you should be prepared for some pretty unpleasant consequences.

Who says she wasn't prepared? Does that make it okay does it? By all accounts the woman had been in the room protesting for a time before this cunt struck out and assaulted her, there was absolutely zero indication she was any danger to anybody and if you watch the video he quite clearly (to me at least) goes for her in anger, not fear. An MP assaulted a member of the public for engaging in peaceful protest near him. Go on, tell me she was trespassing. Tell me the trespassing bitch had it coming. Tell me she could have been a man drinking the blood from a child's neck, dynamite tied round her waist screaming "allahu akbar, tiocfaidh ár lá". Tell me whatever dumb fucking contorted version of reality you have to present with a smirk to show the hypocrisy of thinking this is a Bad Thing, you absolute plum.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 21, 2019, 01:09:42 PM
I don't get all these people pointing out that the protesters were trespassing- yes, they were, protesters often risk arrest when protesting, that's their choice and often they're willing to face the consequences. That still doesn't make it alright to assault someone. One crime does not cancel out another.

Trespassing on Mother Earth? impossible. Its time to fuck off this notion of property.

idunnosomename

lol a tory here saying "where was he supposed to hold her???? Her waist??? not his fault she wasnt wearing a collar!!"