Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:56:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chromebook

Started by kalowski, June 21, 2019, 08:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

What do you think? I've been toying with getting one, for a bit of browsing and other simple stuff. The Acer Chromebook 14 is around £200. They're all supposed to be incredibly fast but I guess they have their limitations.

Should I get a Chromebook?

gmoney

My old housemate bought one and it was the bane of his life for about 6 months until he got something else. Not a strong recommend.

kalowski

Quote from: gmoney on June 21, 2019, 10:04:58 PM
My old housemate bought one and it was the bane of his life for about 6 months until he got something else. Not a strong recommend.
This is useful to know.

QDRPHNC

I have 2. Well,.I have my old one to my boy. The new one I bought is the Asus flip.that doubles as a chunky tablet. I love it, use it for everything that's not heavy design or editing work. I also like the fact that they're relatively cheap and everything is on the cloud, so if I break it or lose it or it gets stolen, it's not the end of the world.

pigamus

Do you need iTunes or Skype? Or anything else you can't do in the browser?

Then don't get one.

Otherwise they're great.

kalowski

Quote from: QDRPHNC on June 21, 2019, 10:35:33 PM
I have 2. Well,.I have my old one to my boy. The new one I bought is the Asus flip.that doubles as a chunky tablet. I love it, use it for everything that's not heavy design or editing work. I also like the fact that they're relatively cheap and everything is on the cloud, so if I break it or lose it or it gets stolen, it's not the end of the world.
This is also useful to know.

kalowski

Quote from: pigamus on June 21, 2019, 10:40:29 PM
Do you need iTunes or Skype? Or anything else you can't do in the browser?

Then don't get one.

Otherwise they're great.
Not really. And I can use Office 365 for work.

I tried running Chromium OS from a memory stick, on an eBay Thinkpad, and it felt like a limited novelty that would pass. If I had idle money I would probably get one, and a 5G phone, and a lapdance or three, so I'm glad I don't.

pigamus

The other thing is, you'll often come across software and applications you'd quite like to have, and with Mac or PC you could have them, but with a Chromebook you can't. Not the end of the world, but it can get on your tits after a while. It did when I had mine.

Dex Sawash

ChromeOS is great if you load it on a shitty old windows netbook that wont stop trying to update windows but doesnt have room for the update and you cant make it stop trying

Zetetic

pigamus

Oh, and Google Docs. It's bloody slow, isn't it? And if you've got a big document, God 'elp ya.