Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:57:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Three thoughts about Pulp Fiction

Started by kalowski, June 21, 2019, 11:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

1. Quentin Tarrantino is a dreadful actor.
2. But in the same scene, Travolta and Keitel are excellent.
3. There is no film more overrated.

Funcrusher

kalowski

Quote from: Funcrusher on June 21, 2019, 11:28:55 PM
The only thought needed really.
I know. I just switched on at the Winston Wolf scene.
It makes me chuckle with all the funny "Dead n**ger storage" stuff. So irreverent!

neveragain

If it wasn't for Point 1 that section might be funnier.

bgmnts

I do wonder why Tarantino puts himself in his films with quite meaty monologues as well. Comes across a bit amateur, like its a vanity project. Either he actually rates his acting chops or he get aroused from saying the n word on screen as many times as he can.

He's fun in that one scene in Desperado where he's telling the piss joke, though.

"He's pissing everywhere EXCEPT the fucking glass!"

Head Gardener

special edition of it coming to cinemas soon (just before his new one)

famethrowa

Watched it recently, and I remember back when I first saw it in the theatre I had a real tension about Bruce Willis the boxer, and whether he would get away with it or not. This time, however, I didn't care about him, he's just as much scum as the crims he's ripping off.

Epic Bisto

Quote from: bgmnts on June 21, 2019, 11:48:23 PM
I do wonder why Tarantino puts himself in his films with quite meaty monologues as well. Comes across a bit amateur, like its a vanity project. Either he actually rates his acting chops or he get aroused from saying the n word on screen as many times as he can.

The scene he's in just stops the film dead, especially after the few promising and fast-paced scenes leading up to it. I loved Pulp Fiction when I first saw it, but I grew to really dislike it the next time I felt like watching it.  The whole film just stumbles over itself time and time again - just when it starts gearing up it goes limp with tons of poorly written monologues and n-bombs going off everywhere.  I think it took a viewing of Jackie Brown to finally break the spell that Tarantino had over me: tons of great actors absolutely wasted on a tossed-off Jack Hill homage.

Considering how many films Miramax interfered with during post-production, the fact that Dave Lee Weinstein left the two directors who have major problems with editing (Banana Chin and Denim Jorts) alone is a mystery.  The nicest thing you can say about them is that they have consistently failed to understand the concept of building momentum. 

a duncandisorderly

the best comment on tarantino-as-actor is in 'dusk til dawn' when clooney just thumps him without even looking, "shut the fuck up, fuck's sake" blam. & he's not actually anywhere near as hammy in that flick as he is in 'reservoir dogs' or 'pulp fiction'.

Sin Agog

Quote from: kalowski on June 21, 2019, 11:26:53 PM

You should have started with point 2, then gone into point 1 and 3, before revisiting and expanding upon point 2.

Shit Good Nose

As one of QT's biggest critics, I still think it's his best film, and a genuinely good film in its own right.

I also think The Bonnie Situation is the best sequence.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: kalowski on June 21, 2019, 11:26:53 PM

upon reflection, that scene is the one people go to when they're trying to explain what 'scenery-chewing' is. it completely fucks the pace of the flick, & also- how much fucking longer is keitel going to keep wringing out this guy-linered fixer role, & does quentin get paid for it?

Dr Rock

The Shawshank Redemption is a much more overrated film.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on June 22, 2019, 09:41:20 AM
& also- how much fucking longer is keitel going to keep wringing out this guy-linered fixer role, & does quentin get paid for it?
Having had access to a telly for the past few weeks and seeing those adverts over and over, I've been wondering this myself. It's not just an oblique reference, the character is specifically referred to as Winson Wolf. Presumably, someone connected with the film must have signed off on the whole idea. It doesn't seem like something Tarantino would be too pleased about.

It's still not as embarrassing as Robert DeNiro advertising bread.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on June 22, 2019, 10:17:26 AM
Having had access to a telly for the past few weeks and seeing those adverts over and over, I've been wondering this myself. It's not just an oblique reference, the character is specifically referred to as Winson Wolf. Presumably, someone connected with the film must have signed off on the whole idea. It doesn't seem like something Tarantino would be too pleased about.

It's still not as embarrassing as Robert DeNiro advertising bread.

ftfy.

Absorb the anus burn

Hated it at the time.

Saw it again twenty years later and felt the same.... Smug, derivative, poorly paced, sadistic.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 22, 2019, 10:04:20 AM

It's a good film but considering that it often reaches the number one spot in 'the greatest films of all time' polls, I'd have to agree that it's overrated.

Oh, and Pulp Fiction is ace.

Blumf

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on June 22, 2019, 10:17:26 AM
Having had access to a telly for the past few weeks and seeing those adverts over and over, I've been wondering this myself. It's not just an oblique reference, the character is specifically referred to as Winson Wolf.

It is the same character, and QT approved it.

It's from Saatchi & Saatchi by the way, seeing as Tory cunts who grab women by the neck is back in fashion this week.

Shit Good Nose

a duncandisorderly

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Blumf on June 22, 2019, 11:26:23 AM
It is the same character, and QT approved it.
Yeesh. He may well be a bit of a tosspot, but I would have assumed Tarantino had a bit more integrity than that. At the very least, I'd have expected that he'd insist on making the adverts himself, using vintage film cameras in an homage/ripoff of an ad that Charles Bronson would have done.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on June 22, 2019, 12:12:51 PM
'alien 4' is better tho'.

I've no idea what this Alien 4 you keep going on about is.  I reckon you dreamt it.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on June 22, 2019, 12:15:30 PM
Tarantino......integrity

B'boom.

beanheadmcginty

The thing that annoys me most about the Keitel advert is that they haven't stumped up for the proper music.

kalowski

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 22, 2019, 10:04:20 AM
This could well be true. It's definitely one of the two.

Blumf

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on June 22, 2019, 12:30:32 PM
The thing that annoys me most about the Keitel advert is that they haven't stumped up for the proper music.

Speaking of the music, Dick Dale passed away recently. Touring to the end...

https://dangerousminds.net/comments/u.s._healthcare_is_a_crime
Quote"I can't stop touring because I will die." It's the sort of thing you hear often from an active man disregarding his suggested retirement age, but Dale followed it up with, "Physically and literally, I will die": the 78-year-old is literally playing shows to stay alive.

Yay, private health care systems!!

St_Eddie

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on June 22, 2019, 12:15:30 PM
Yeesh. He may well be a bit of a tosspot, but I would have assumed Tarantino had a bit more integrity than that. At the very least, I'd have expected that he'd insist on making the adverts himself, using vintage film cameras in an homage/ripoff of an ad that Charles Bronson would have done.

I can imagine Tarantino enjoying the thought of having created a cinematic character that's popular enough to feature in adverts, as a part of the zeitgeist and popular culture.  I reckon that Tarantino likely signed off on it simply because it makes him more iconic, by mere association.  So basically, Tarantino's ego is probably the reason why that advert exists.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Blumf on June 22, 2019, 01:01:07 PM
"I can't stop touring because I will die." It's the sort of thing you hear often from an active man disregarding his suggested retirement age, but Dale followed it up with, "Physically and literally, I will die": the 78-year-old is literally playing shows to stay alive.

I was quite upset to hear of his plight & deterioration. he was a gent & a real showman, & one of the few good things to stick around after we'd all stopped laughing & become embarrassed by QT's work.

Sin Agog

Considering it was Keitel who kick-started his career by signing onto Reservoir Dogs to act and produce on day dot, I imagine Quentin figured it'd be churlish to deny a brother a pay-check.

Bruce Willis was good as Bruce Willis.