Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:31:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I'd guess this was phishing?

Started by Unnecessary Biscuits, June 23, 2019, 09:52:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Is this a familiar thing? Is this phishing? I had two emails come through in the last week from someone using the name Lisa (not that, but I'm protecting myself), using two different Yahoo addresses. The first said 'how're you?', the second, 'are you ok?' The email addresses look either written by someone who doesn't know how English names work or they are somehow randomly generated.

There are no links in the email, so it's not any online dating/ sex thing. I am old enough and otherwise tech-savvy enough to recognise and ignore 99.9% of online scammery

Due to alcohol-related mishaps I have either lost or had stolen a laptop and two tablets. (I don't like the thought that I may have been mugged by a migrant, but that might explain the email addresses' strangeness.) I took sensible steps after this, some possibly over-cautious and inconvenient, like shutting a bank account and an eBay account. I wondered if the person emailing might have been a recipient of one of these items, though the losses go back up to two years. Apparently an attempt to access my other bank account was made two months or so ago, making me wonder if my bag of items may even have been found in a hedge where I crapulently may have thrown it all that time ago.

I opened a fresh email account with no identifying content, false name etc and actually replied just out of curiosity, and asked them who they were and if they knew of the missing items. I've had no reply so I'm guessing this was just some kind of phishing thing, but wondered how it would work and if this is something done now? A kind of ambiguous start that some might fall for and reply to from the same email account?

I'm very aware that my response and my account of it make me sound like a pathologically solitary person clutching at straws, which is over three-fifths true.

BlodwynPig

PM me your bank details and I'll look into it for you

a duncandisorderly

I think this is one of those cases where someone with [edit] twenty three posts to their name is now (ahem) fishing for stories about stolen online identity, over which to spaff.

the sad thing is that etcetera