Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:45:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

808 State are back

Started by Danger Man, June 23, 2019, 09:49:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danger Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgu2gw__8cE

New track. EP and LP on the way.

The new song is a grower (ie a bit shit at first but great if you play it 5 times)

Twed

I like it. Nice serious acid. I like 808 State. Ninety is one of my favourite albums.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The Acid All For One

*shrug*

My favourite album of their is Don Solaris which should indicate what my preferred end of 808 State is - and this doesn't have the raw angularity, immediacy or power of their early work either, so another 4 listens are necessary.

Twed

To be (un)fair, it could be any good track if you'd just tuned into a minimal stream. It doesn't scream specialness. I like the industrial static noises.

Danger Man

Utd. State 90 is the only 808 State LP anyone needs, though they are always worth a listen.

Johnny Yesno

I was wondering why Graham Massey wasn't on Paddy Steer's latest album. Probably too busy with 808 State. Shame because Steer's latest is a bit meh as a result.

DrGreggles

I haven't listened to 808 State since I stopped taking drugs.
What if I don't actually like them?! It would ruin so many memories of my late teens.

imitationleather

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 24, 2019, 01:04:06 AM
I haven't listened to 808 State since I stopped taking drugs.
What if I don't actually like them?! It would ruin so many memories of my late teens.

Take some drugs then, fucking hell. I'm getting sick of having to babysit you lot through life.

The new tune is alright. Always nice to hear someone pushing out the acid. I'm sure it'll grow on me. If it doesn't I'll lie and say it has.

Norton Canes

It's... OK. Obviously more redolent of their Newbuild era stuff. Sort of get the impression it's a track that sees them flexing their muscles rather than properly, er, pumping. It reminds me of the stuff from the album Orbital put out last year, in that they clearly know what their doing, they know their way around putting a decent dance track together, but the result is a bit autopilot.

I do love them and hope the new album is up to scratch.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 23, 2019, 10:21:30 PM
My favourite album of their is Don Solaris

Don Solaris is one of the great underappreciated albums of... well ever, basically. 

DrGreggles

Quote from: imitationleather on June 24, 2019, 10:16:34 AM
Take some drugs then, fucking hell.

Not allowed. They make me naughty.

Norton Canes

buzby

Hmm, I wonder if those bassy blares are samples of the tuba from The Conversation from the CE3K soundtrack?
(I like it, btw)

popcorn

I feel like sampling Japanese mass transit announcements is a cliche but I can't think what else I've heard it in.

Speaking a bit pretentiously and personally for a moment, having lived in Tokyo for several years now, I sort of roll my eyes a bit when bits of Japanese turns up in western stuff now, like it's all mysterious and cool. I'm loath to condemn it as problematic or anything, and really I think it's just a sort of perception - I hear this sort of announcement dozens of times a day so to hear it in a piece of western music like it's novel or fun is a bit grating. I also imagine 808 State don't understand what it's saying (boring shit about transfer here for another line and don't forget your belongings etc) which must make it seem like more of a neutral sound.

purlieu

Hard not to think that there's so much more interesting acid stuff out there in the underground than this. If we're talking original generation artists, the new Humanoid material is a lot more exciting than this.

Twed

Quote from: purlieu on June 24, 2019, 04:47:00 PM
Hard not to think that there's so much more interesting acid stuff out there in the underground than this.
I think this is as good as most really good acid that is less immediate, though. There's something to be said for good tracks that don't demand your full attention. If I was listening to di.fm and this came on I'd definitely be checking to see who the artist is.

Also, good on them for being able to do this at the ripe old age of 94.

Danger Man

New EP is out in a few days.

You can listen to bits of it here

https://www.beatport.com/release/initial-granada-report/2638333

Sounds good to me!

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: purlieu on June 24, 2019, 04:47:00 PM
Hard not to think that there's so much more interesting acid stuff out there in the underground than this. If we're talking original generation artists, the new Humanoid material is a lot more exciting than this.

That's pretty challrnging stuff. Can imagine it searing a few faces off at 5am somewhere.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Bataglia sounding alright, glimpses of quality.