Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:08:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I'm a CUTSCENE skipper, loud and proud.

Started by Bazooka, June 23, 2019, 11:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazooka

For many a years now, I've been actively skipping cut scenes I.e the story. I've just finished Shadow of The Tomb Raider (its not as bad as people say, and have played every game since the 1996 start, shoot me) yet fuck me was I hammering the skip cutscene button. One thing those kind developers did was allow me to skip none core(inside joke) story FMV's, side quests etc, yet I tricked the algorithms at points and even skipped those.

I read so many reviews of games, especially the AAA titles where 80% of the review will be about the story. Sorry my friend I have been playing games for decades, you can shove the story up your glands, you think the story is treading any new ground like Emmerdale at this point?

As a heavy JRPG user, I have seen it all, I've spent the best part of my live reading text/listening to voices(in games), and there have been wonderful moments ( Grandia 2 & Silent Hill 2) but I'm owed my dues now, I just want to skip your cutscene my love.

bgmnts

I would LOVE some more games where the narrative device is the gameplay, like The Stanley Parable and Half-Life. Very few of these about.

Mobius

Same.

It's called a videoGAME not a videoMOVIE

Worst ones are cutscenes with Quick Time Events. Can't even go for a shit in case the game suddenly decides to throw back to you.

madhair60

Sensible behaviour given that 99% of them are pablum of the lowest order.

St_Eddie

Considering that 80% of the games that I play are point & click adventures, it wouldn't be prudent for me to be skipping cutscenes.

Bazooka

Imagine if Super Mario Brothers had a story( I know it does) and 4 hours of cutscenes? Nobody would have probably completed it as a kid, yet alone as an adult with responsibilities, and that's with level warp skips.

Also a game like Super Mario Sunshine, hey Mr Johnny Nintendo, I've bought the game, what if I never even open it? You still got my hard earned coppers. But imagine I do open it, and want to play it from scratch 1004 times, you want to ruin my relationship and career by making me watch that FMV 1004 times? Shame on you, shame on you.

Thursday

It's rare for me, but I'll do it from time to time. But I tend not to be playing games that would make me want to skip their cut-scenes, generally if they can't tell a decent enough story then the gameplay likely isn't anything to write home about either.

Replies From View

Quote from: Mobius on June 23, 2019, 11:05:59 PM
Same.

It's called a videoGAME not a videoMOVIE

Computer game.

VIDEOS are things like Mrs Doubtfire and Fantasia, which are a kind of movie as well.  VIDEOgame is therefore MOVIEgame, a bit like how videoMOVIE is MOVIEMOVIE.

Stick to computer game and you will be a happier person.

Kryton

I really don't mind the odd very short cutscene in the dark souls kinda sense... The reveal of a boss, some lurking menace emerging from the darkness with a big fuck off roar, or some huge wolf defending its master's grave. It all adds to the lore and atmosphere.

But fucking bullshit pointless story like Metal Gear solid with 2hours of wanky fiction can get to fuck.

But as long as it's skip-able after the first reveal, I don't mind..

St_Eddie

Quote from: Replies From View on June 24, 2019, 06:10:35 PM
Computer game.

VIDEOS are things like Mrs Doubtfire and Fantasia, which are a kind of movie as well.  VIDEOgame is therefore MOVIEgame, a bit like how videoMOVIE is MOVIEMOVIE.

Stick to computer game and you will be a happier person.

Videogames are what you play on consoles.  Computer games are what you play on computers.

Replies From View

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 24, 2019, 06:57:06 PM
Videogames are what you play on consoles.  Computer games are what you play on computers.

Consoles are a type of computer though.  They just have the keyboard and mouse put in a bin and Windows 3.0 uninstalled.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Replies From View on June 24, 2019, 07:03:08 PM
Consoles are a type of computer though.  They just have the keyboard and mouse put in a bin and Windows 3.0 uninstalled.

Mate.  You're a type of computer.

Zetetic

What they really need is competent pause and playback-speed controls.

Replies From View

Quote from: Zetetic on June 24, 2019, 07:47:01 PM
What they really need is competent pause and playback-speed controls.

Before long you'll be wanting a whole keyboard and mouse put back on, along with the fully functioning Windows 3.0.  It's a slippery slope.

The Lion King

Skipper as in Captain as in you are the Captain of cut scenes as in you love them? Wow!