Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:43:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Diego Maradona (2019)

Started by dr beat, June 24, 2019, 11:10:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr beat

Saw this last night and thoroughly enjoyed.  A good idea just to focus on his time at Napoli rather than try and cram his whole life and career into a film which would have been an impossible task. Did a good job of focusing on the North-south divide in Italy, particularly the abuse meted out by Northern football fans to Napolitans.

If I have a criticism I think it could have lost 15 mins of the football coverage (which is pretty much season by season across Maradonas Napoli career) to make it a pacier film, but even as a football fan who grew up during that era I still learnt a lot. Maradona came across as an eloquent as well as charismatic character.

Enrico Palazzo

Quote from: dr beat on June 24, 2019, 11:10:19 AM

If I have a criticism I think it could have lost 15 mins of the football coverage

Funnily enough, that was my only gripe even though I absolutely love watching clips of Maradona playing.

joaquin closet

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on June 24, 2019, 11:33:23 AM
Funnily enough, that was my only gripe even though I absolutely love watching clips of Maradona playing.

In exactly the same boat as you two.

I couldn't help but laugh at just how brutal the abuse directed at the Neapolitans by the other fans was. Nuts.

non capisco

I thought it was excellent. The footage of him arriving back at Buenos Aires after the 1986 World Cup, hemmed in with people trying to claw at him from all angles and looking like a rabbit in the headlights, really captured how fucking insane it must have felt to be Diego Maradona in the mid 80s.

joaquin closet

Yeah imagine being in Naples for 7 years surrounded by that non-stop AND being a cokehead. I got stressed out just watching it for a couple hours.

bgmnts

Quote from: joaquin closet on June 24, 2019, 11:36:38 PM
Yeah imagine being in Naples for 7 years surrounded by that non-stop AND being a cokehead. I got stressed out just watching it for a couple hours.

Every day would be like day in Goodfellas when Henry gets arrested for dealing. How would you not get an aneurysm?

Dyl Spinks

Just saw this at the cinema and funnily enough, in complete contradiction to a couple of posts above, I felt it didn't have enough of the on-field action. To miss out his ignominious exit with red card from the '82 World Cup and his tremendous run and pass to Caniggia that put out Brazil in 1990 felt criminal. A few golden moments via montage from the Boca comeback would've helped even out the last few minutes, too. There were also some weird angles (trackside) on familiar incendiary goals that diluted their impact.

It was great, but I think I prefer Kusturica's doc from a few years ago. Some great stuff in this new one for the Maradona aficionados, though.

Sometimes you're just better typing in "Maradona passing skills" on YouTube and watching random snatches of obscure games to get a true picture of the sheer otherworldliness of the way in which he interpreted the game. I used to collect all that stuff on VHS then DVD, but YouTube does the trick now.

Small Man Big Horse

I've not seen it yet but it seems to be one of the most vandalised posters I've ever seen on the tube.