Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:59:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Toothache

Started by The Boston Crab, June 24, 2019, 02:13:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poo

This is why I campaign for beaks

Blue Jam

I need a scale and polish. I normally get one every three months because my teeth seem annoyingly prone to tartar buildup, plus I live in Scotland where the NHS allows this. On top of this the fancy new electric toothbrush I bought a few months back died and I have gone back to using a manual one. I am absolutely bricking it for when I am actually allowed back for my next scale and polish.

The Cloud of Unknowing

A couple of molar extractions in the last 3 years for me, both after the same pattern - a few weeks of increasing aching, exacerbated whenever I ate and drank, with occasional pain-free days in between. Left it far too long out of fear and denial. The second one actually led to my jaw swelling, as seen in The Beano. That had to come out. (The first one was possibly salvageable with root canal, but the dentist said it would be a 90-minute operation and might not work, so I thought, fuck it, take it out). The actual extractions were surprisingly painless and obviously a relief, if that helps.

Emma Raducanu

I haven't been to the dentist for a long time. I'm not even registered with one. I got put on the waiting list of the only NHS dentist in town in August 2019 and they've told me I'll be waiting until 2021. How does everyone just HAVE a dentist? Do I need to go private and remortgage my house when they tell me my gums have receded beyond hope?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Mortimer on November 01, 2020, 09:32:05 PM
How about a separate "what's the most pain you've had" thread. Maybe with a poll. I could set one up but I don't post much and can't be arsed. And probably no one will respond.

Can empathise with the toothache stuff and I've broken bones before but for pain both were trumped by my herniated lumbar disk initially, then subsequent (separate but related) facet joint syndrome. Proper "scream every time you move". The neighbours must have thought I was being murdered.

We've had that thread before. Let me have my moment of oneupmanship and you can continue with whinging about ickle teeth pangs :))))) OWWWWWWWWWWWWW....you won't believe it, I just felt a sharp jab of pain in my
Spoiler alert
funny bone
[close]

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Danger Man on November 01, 2020, 08:24:00 PM
If you'd bothered to watch Marathon Man you'd know that clove oil stops all dental pain.

One of my housemates gave me some of that on Saturday night, but it did absolutely fuck all, so yes, I will be suing the producers of that film.

Quote from: The Cloud of Unknowing on November 02, 2020, 02:01:37 AM
The actual extractions were surprisingly painless and obviously a relief, if that helps.

That is good to hear as I wasn't looking forward to it, I've had my wisdom teeth out but they knocked me out completely for that, so I was a bit worried that it might hurt and am relieved it won't. And I can't wait to have it out too, the pain's nowhere near as bad as it was on Saturday but it's still lurking and having the odd flare up despite all of the antibiotics and pain killers I've taken.

Bently Sheds

I had a temporary filling on a molar five or six years ago and it was holding up ok. About a year or so ago I was watching telly & was resting my head on my hand. Idly rubbing my cheek, I noticed a weird feeling area on the bottom part of my cheekbone near my temp filling, so I kept rubbing it with my finger. By bedtime I had developed a thin bright line of screaming, white hot, debilitating pain traveling from that area on my cheek, through my eye socket and up through the top of my head. It was the worst pain I have ever felt in my life. I felt sick and faint.

I struggled to sleep & took a sick day off work. At dinnertime that day I sat at the table unable to eat and wept in front of my kids, the pain was that bad. It was even worse than the time I thwacked my fresh vasectomy stitches with the waistband of the hospital jockstrap mere hours after the snip - at least that was a temporary pain. This was full on permanent hellpain. No painkillers could touch it.

The dentist checked me out the next day. It turned out the temporary filling had worked slightly loose a while previous and the molar had cracked open and an infection had just started to set in. The weird-feeling area on my cheek was a result of the inflamed nerve which I had aggravated by rubbing the area near it. It took him three goes to wrench the separate bits of tooth out, at one point levering it back & forth to get it out as it squeaked stubbornly in its socket. I had to go back a few times as shards of tooth or bone kept poking out of my inflamed gum & I couldn't get them out. Eventually he got fed up with me coming back for free visits and told me to pull them out myself.

It's alright now, I just have a huge gap between my back teeth I could - and have done - lodge a whole Polo mint in.

Thomas

I've got a wisdom tooth coming through. It's painless, but for some light gum tenderness, and there seems to be space for it. Apparently they can still impact without pain, though, and I worry that - at its last push - it might suddenly crumple the facade of my teeth like a test crash bonnet.

Small Man Big Horse

My housemate Peter claimed yesterday that a cure for toothache is "Laying your mouth on a woman's breast", I am deeply sceptical but he swears it's true so will nip out in a bit and try and find out.

Hat FM

do some of you really book dentist appointments every six months even if you dont have pain? i think i book a check up every three years or so unless i can feel a cavity.

olliebean

Quote from: Hat FM on November 03, 2020, 02:59:27 PM
do some of you really book dentist appointments every six months even if you dont have pain? i think i book a check up every three years or so unless i can feel a cavity.

I probably would've done this year if it hadn't been for CoViD, as I had a wisdom tooth out last November and not sure it's healed properly - not giving me enough trouble to make an appointment specially, but I wouldn't have minded having it looked at during a check-up.

Prior to last October, though, it'd been about 30 years.

Small Man Big Horse

No, I've always avoided my dentist unless the pain's so bad that I need their help. I plan to change that now and go at least once a year though as I don't want a repeat of this misery.

I'm just back from having one tooth taken out, there's a small chance I might need to have a second removed but they want to try and save that tooth as it's needed for chewing food apparently. Anyhow, it was completely painless having the tooth out, which is the main thing, though they wouldn't let me keep it for some mysterious reason. And looked at me weirdly when I asked which surprised, I'd have thought people ask that all the time.

Bently Sheds

My dentist does six monthly checkups. If you miss two appointments you're booted off his NHS list and it's a minimum 3 year wait to get back on. So I go every six months regardless.

tookish

I've been fortunate enough to have only two bouts of severe toothache, despite having absolutely fucked molars from years of bulimia, self-neglect, and a couple of unfortunate face-smashing-in incidents. Nevertheless, they were so bad I was literally on my knees begging for the sweet release of death.

Hat FM

Quote from: Bently Sheds on November 05, 2020, 08:25:35 AM
My dentist does six monthly checkups. If you miss two appointments you're booted off his NHS list and it's a minimum 3 year wait to get back on. So I go every six months regardless.

oh really? does that mean they are free check ups? costs me about £30 for him to look at my teeth for a minute and say its all good. £75 for a white filling i think.

Replies From View

Quote from: poo on November 01, 2020, 11:17:05 PM
This is why I campaign for beaks

A beak is just a hollowed-out, bisected tooth.

Bently Sheds

Quote from: Hat FM on November 05, 2020, 02:38:25 PM
oh really? does that mean they are free check ups? costs me about £30 for him to look at my teeth for a minute and say its all good. £75 for a white filling i think.
Ha. No. Each checkup is £20 a pop, but come with a cleaning session.

olliebean

Quote from: Bently Sheds on November 06, 2020, 08:33:14 AM
Ha. No. Each checkup is £20 a pop, but come with a cleaning session.

AIUI, the cleaning isn't automatically covered by the NHS, and it seems to be down to individual dentists whether to include it in the check-up fee or charge separately for it.

Jerzy Bondov

I was eating a Lindor yesterday and I broke a tooth. What the fuck. It must have already had a crack in it because it just snapped. The edge is rough as fuck and I can't leave it alone, so my tongue is now sore as well. My dentist is doing phone appointments before she'll deign to call you in, fuck knows how that's going to go. I was eating a Rolo this morning and another small bit of tooth came off. This sounds like I'm a fat chocolate scoffing cunt with rotting teeth and... well... I'm not fat anyway.

Small Man Big Horse

Started having toothache again two weeks ago but it was only when I ate and painkillers sorted it out so I ignored it for a while, but it wasn't going away so I tried to get a dentist appointment, only to be told that they were variously booked up until late July / early August, and the only advice given was that I call 111. So I did that this afternoon, claimed it was more painful than it was (as I didn't want a repeat of November's madness) and managed to see someone today, I was convinced that due to it not hurting too much I'd just be given a filling but after an x-ray the dentist said it'd either be a complicated root canal situation or she could take it, so I went for the latter. Luckily it was a tooth on the far right (that racist bastard) so when I open my mouth you can't see it's missing, but I'm a bit concerned that that's now two teeth I've had taken out in the last year, I brush like a bastard twice a day but may up it to three times now.

The dentist said it was the oddest shaped tooth she'd ever seen too, and this time she let me take it home with me, so I thought I'd share a pic - though it's a bit bloody and not particularly the sexiest picture so I'll put it behind a link - https://imgur.com/IKLqLLm - she also said as I had a gold filling it might be worth trying to sell, but I think she was joking, though if so she has a very dry delivery.

Jerzy Bondov

Lovely image, thank you for sharing. Better out than in I suppose.

Is a root canal really unpleasant? My dentist gave my crumbly tooth the old drill 'n' fill but she said if it was still sensitive afterwards I'd probably have to go back for a root canal. Well folks, it is sensitive. Presumably if I ignore it, the problem will simply go away. I don't think I want a root canal; it just sounds bad. I'm so good about brushing and flossing and that, I really don't deserve to have such fucking horrible teeth.

The Bumlord

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on June 02, 2021, 07:56:09 PM
Presumably if I ignore it, the problem will simply go away.

I got away with that for ten whole years.

Last year I had five teeth removed. Oops.

Alberon

Got a root canal on Monday. I've had one before when I got a crown for another tooth. It isn't painful, but it is boring and I hate the fact the dentist is working right in your face.

It'd be so much easier if my mouth was in my stomach, like the Gronk.

shiftwork2

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on June 02, 2021, 07:56:09 PM
Is a root canal really unpleasant? My dentist gave my crumbly tooth the old drill 'n' fill but she said if it was still sensitive afterwards I'd probably have to go back for a root canal. Well folks, it is sensitive. Presumably if I ignore it, the problem will simply go away.

Possibly.  Deep fillings can inflame the pulp (vibration, heat of the drill) especially if the procedure is a bit rushed.  Pulpitis will either calm down (reversible) or go feral to the point it dies off (irreversible), if it's the latter then you'll need a pulpectomy and the canals filled to keep the tooth.  My teeth are an utter joke and will go irreversible pulpitis if I were to tap one gently with a matchstick so I've had a ton of root canals.  They go on for longer than a filling and they're weird rather than painful or especially unpleasant.

buttgammon

Root canals sound awful. About two years ago, I had to have a filling replaced and the dentist said it had leaked enough that it was 50-50 whether or not I would need a root canal. Fortunately, it doesn't seem to have got any worse since then, but that particular corner of my mouth is threatening to become a problem area. The next molar along has a massive filling, and there's a partially-erupted wisdom tooth there that suddenly had a growth spurt a few weeks ago. I was in pain for a few days but it seems to have calmed down, thankfully.

jobotic

I found it pretty unpleasant, and the worst thing was that it didn't even stop the pain. Had to have the tooth out months later and even then it hurt for a while!

But what I found hardest was having my mouth wide open for ages - pain in my jaw muscles was agony. Much worse than the dental bit.

Dex Sawash

What's it like to get a tooth pulled? May opt for that instead of a root canal next time if CaB doesn't make me all freaked out about it.

While we're here, what are wisdom teeth for?

The Bumlord

Quote from: jobotic on June 02, 2021, 11:52:26 PM

But what I found hardest was having my mouth wide open for ages

That's not what I've heard lol

paruses

Quote from: Dex Sawash on June 03, 2021, 01:05:20 AM
What's it like to get a tooth pulled? May opt for that instead of a root canal next time if CaB doesn't make me all freaked out about it.

While we're here, what are wisdom teeth for?

Had a wisdom tooth and molar out last week. Both done at the same time within an hour including the anaesthetic and the surgeon doing his notes.

He described it as "complicated" but think that just meant more difficult than it should have been. There were some unpleasant sounds but it was painless. Slightly weird sensation of someone sewing in my mouth though.

Has been sore since the following day and couldn't move my jaw much but that's suddenly eased off the last couple of days. Just been bathing back the ibuprofen and codeine now and then to take the edge off. Don't think I will need any more.

I think wisdom teeth are from eating raw food days when we needed the crushing power. Not sure why they insist on coming through at stupid angles.

3 stars. Would recommend .

jobotic

Yeah it's weird and horrible hearing the crunching, but your anaesthetised so it doesn't hurt. Didn't even bleed that much.

Can't get used to the massive gap though. No one can see (molar) it it just feels weird, and the adjacent teeth now feel massive.