Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:12:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Only Fools and Horses superfan spends £3,000 getting cast tattooed on his back

Started by Phil_A, June 25, 2019, 01:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purlieu

Jake Thingray

Quote from: purlieu on June 26, 2019, 02:53:18 PM
It is The Most Loved British Comedy Programme. It's your civic duty as a Britisher to enjoy it and show everyone that you are enjoying it.

And to prove such dedication by saying, "The writers are so witty."

idunnosomename

I think there's a sort of Legend Gary fandom around OFaH because it condones criminality. and being a legend. wahey!

non capisco

At its best it's also an exceptionally funny sitcom. I think that's probably why people like it so much rather than WERRR THEY ARE CRIMINALS. I can't speak as to why someone would be motivated into getting an accurate representation of Nicholas Lyndhurst's boat race painstakingly etched onto the entirety of their back. I don't understand the will to do anything that extreme, whether it's a picture of Del Boy or a picture of Nathan For You or whatever other sophisticated cosmopolitan comedies that you lot like.

Ferris

Nathan For You is one of the funniest and most worthwhile things ever committed to tape.

To bring it up in this thread is sacrilege. For shame.

non capisco

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 26, 2019, 11:28:33 PM
Nathan For You is one of the funniest and most worthwhile things ever committed to tape.

I know, dude, but so is Only Fools And Horses.

Ferris

Quote from: non capisco on June 26, 2019, 11:32:45 PM
I know, dude, but so is Only Fools And Horses.

In fairness, I haven't watched it in 15 years. It must be alright, people are mad for it!

non capisco

There was some latent Jeremy Kyle-ism creeping into this thread with the 'legend Gary' shit, I felt. OFAH is boss.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: icehaven on June 26, 2019, 11:30:30 AM
What is it with demonstrative OFAH fandom? A while ago I was on a bus and someone was watching it on their phone with the volume on full, and shrieking with laughter every ten seconds so the whole bus knew how much they loved the antics of Del and Rodney and the gang. Is it some Legend-Gary-by-association thing?

I think this is more a lack of self-awareness on their part than any sort of smug/moronic broadcasting, which you appear to have projected on this person with your own disdain of the show. I see people doing this on the bus all the time and it's certainly not restricted to Only Fools and Horses.

Icehaven

Quote from: alan nagsworth on June 27, 2019, 09:33:40 AM
I think this is more a lack of self-awareness on their part than any sort of smug/moronic broadcasting, which you appear to have projected on this person with your own disdain of the show. I see people doing this on the bus all the time and it's certainly not restricted to Only Fools and Horses.

Errr, my what?! At what point have I said I don't like it? Of course I like it, everyone fucking likes it, I just don't get this need some people have to out-like everyone else about it. I have an OFAH calendar on my studio wall ffs, but I wouldn't hoist a flag with Del Boy's gurning mug on it outside then stand under it going "LOVELY JUBBLY!!!". It is possible to criticise the absurd lengths some people take to prove their enthusiasm for something (which is what prompted this whole thread) without that being a criticism of the thing itself.

St_Eddie

Quote from: icehaven on June 27, 2019, 11:32:58 AM
Errr, my what?! At what point have I said I don't like it? Of course I like it, everyone fucking likes it, I just don't get this need some people have to out-like everyone else about it. I have an OFAH calendar on my studio wall ffs, but I wouldn't hoist a flag with Del Boy's gurning mug on it outside then stand under it going "LOVELY JUBBLY!!!".

I'm with you on this one, icehaven.  There are loads of people who insist on being seen as the BIGGEST FAN EVER of something.  Try watching a classic comedy at the cinema sometime, or rather don't because you'll be horribly distracted by at least one twat in the audience attempting to prove that they're the biggest fan of the film EVER, by laughing as hard and as loud as they can at every single joke.  There's a very strong possibility that the person on that bus was one of said twats.

I know that some people lack self-awareness but come on!  Law of averages and that.  I severely fucking doubt that person would be shrieking with delight if they were watching the show by themselves at home.  That laughter was almost certainly for the "benefit" of their fellow bus travelers.

St_Eddie

I'm getting a 'Mark, my old flatmate' vibe from it but none of you know who that is, so me saying this means absolutely nothing to you.

gilbertharding

I'm getting Vince I can't remember his surname vibe. He worked in the transport office of a pre-cast concrete factory in St Neots in the late 80s, and he had tattoos depicting of all the members of U2 (Bono, the Edge, Larry Mullins and The Drummer) on his limbs.

I wish I knew his surname, because I'd LOVE to see those tattoos now. I bet they're properly shit.

If anyone knows Vince from St Neots, who has probably got loads more tattoos now, get in touch.

Mr Farenheit

Quote from: gilbertharding on June 27, 2019, 12:53:11 PM
I'm getting Vince I can't remember his surname vibe. He worked in the transport office of a pre-cast concrete factory in St Neots in the late 80s, and he had tattoos depicting of all the members of U2 (Bono, the Edge, Larry Mullins and The Drummer) on his limbs.

I wish I knew his surname, because I'd LOVE to see those tattoos now. I bet they're properly shit.

Do you mean a different limb for each member of U2?
That would be a good mnenomic for remembering the names of everyone in U2. Left leg: The Edge, Right arm: Bono etc
Could also work for remembering the names of different limbs, maybe he's a surgeon now.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Mr Farenheit on June 28, 2019, 03:10:11 AM
Do you mean a different limb for each member of U2?

I can't be sure, it's 30 years ago - but I'm going for 'yes'.

samadriel

I'd be mightily pissed off if I paid 3000 quid and Grandad looked like that.  This reminds me of the woman with the full back Twilight tattoo, although apart from that awful Grandad I'll concede this is a bit better.

Jockice

Quote from: gilbertharding on June 27, 2019, 12:53:11 PM

If anyone knows Vince from St Neots, who has probably got loads more tattoos now, get in touch.

I know Laura from St Neots. Could always ask her.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: icehaven on June 27, 2019, 11:32:58 AM
Errr, my what?! At what point have I said I don't like it? Of course I like it, everyone fucking likes it, I just don't get this need some people have to out-like everyone else about it. I have an OFAH calendar on my studio wall ffs, but I wouldn't hoist a flag with Del Boy's gurning mug on it outside then stand under it going "LOVELY JUBBLY!!!". It is possible to criticise the absurd lengths some people take to prove their enthusiasm for something (which is what prompted this whole thread) without that being a criticism of the thing itself.

Belated apology for this. I was in a shite mood yesterday morning, reading it back it's a fairly shitty comment.

Tony Tony Tony

Drove through St Neots on the way to the coast today..... Didn't see vince

Tony Tony Tony

And drove through again on the way back today.

Still no sign up of Vince.... fucker.