Author Topic: Monty Python at 50 - Official Press Release  (Read 7760 times)

Re: Monty Python at 50 - Official Press Release
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2019, 09:13:20 PM »
If it doesn't even refer to film, then it isn't restriced to on-location shooting either; it could then also mean that one or more studio tapes exist.

It doesn't make it anymore likely or course. At best, if we for some reason have to take the lavatory wall seriously, then I suggest that it refers to the S1E2 outtakes that some miscreant posted on youtube at some point.

I'm more interested to see the full memorial service or the Steve Martin sketch.

Ambient Sheep

• I give up.
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2019, 09:37:16 PM »
It doesn't make it anymore likely or course. At best, if we for some reason have to take the lavatory wall seriously...

Two different lavatory walls, thankyouverymuch... ;-)

« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2019, 10:43:15 PM »
The rushes are your unedited raw footage. I've definitely heard the word used to refer to recordings of videotaped shoots, even if that wasn't the original meaning.

The DVDs of Fist of Fun, for example, include "studio rushes" of some of the episodes.

Tony Tony Tony

• Nobody expects... you know the rest
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2019, 11:03:38 PM »

« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2019, 06:53:01 PM »
     https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/entertainment-arts-48769997   

And so it begins... Python rarities on the radio
Although I really do want this to be good, it could just be a case of scraping the barrel.

Tony Tony Tony

« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2019, 03:44:51 PM »
By way of an update the first episode (of three 15 minute jobs) is on this coming Wednesday and the BBC blurb does actually look promising.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00081v8 

'On the 50th anniversary of Python, Michael Palin hunts down lost sketches. This programme contains material never heard before, including the infamous Fat Ignorant Bastards sketch.'

Gurke and Hare

• Fold water. Roll into small cubes.
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2019, 05:57:50 PM »
I got an email today letting me know that the box set release has been pushed back to November 4th. Boo. Ah, but not boo, because the delay is a result of "during the course of the restoration, just as we thought we’d seen everything, yet more cans of film material emerged from other quarters that could, frankly, have been anything. We’re still painstakingly going through every frame of the archive but have discovered a wealth of Python nuggets, a lot of it unseen."

Well, okay, I'll let them off then I guess. There's also a new bit of animation clean-up comparison footage although I don't know how many feet of film it covers.

« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2019, 07:25:34 PM »
By way of an update the first episode (of three 15 minute jobs) is on this coming Wednesday and the BBC blurb does actually look promising.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00081v8 

'On the 50th anniversary of Python, Michael Palin hunts down lost sketches. This programme contains material never heard before, including the infamous Fat Ignorant Bastards sketch.'

So this seems to be 5 episodes, not 3. I started listening on BBC Sounds and it started auto-playing onto episode 2, so perhaps it's all up there already?

« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2019, 10:56:27 PM »
So this seems to be 5 episodes, not 3. I started listening on BBC Sounds and it started auto-playing onto episode 2, so perhaps it's all up there already?

Yes, they all appeared at once the other day.

« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2019, 01:56:21 AM »
Yes, they all appeared at once the other day.
Any good?

Tony Tony Tony

« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2019, 05:32:10 AM »
Any good?

One hour fifteen of rediscovered Python material has got to be worth a listen in anyone’s book. I did think the material was spread a bit thin though. Most lost then rediscovered material (like say old Bowie, Beatles or Bolan songs) does tend to be stuff that was cast aside for various reasons. Having listened to nearly all five of the shows they do seem to have the tinge of stuff that was at worst cut by the Pythons themselves for being substandard or at best chucked for reasons of time.

Mind you the Fat Ignorant Bastards sketch may have fallen foul of the censor fifty or so years ago?

« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2019, 11:52:04 AM »
Some of it just sounded like clips from the soundtrack albums to me - seems to be pushing it a bit to call that lost material. Unless they were alternate takes?

« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2019, 12:18:48 PM »
I heard all five episodes and the only truly entirely new material to my ears was the Fat Ignorant Bastards sketch. There were a couple of adverts I hadn’t heard before, an extension to the Brave Sir Robin song that was new to me and I hadn’t heard the 2014 rehearsal audio, but the lion’s share was stuff that’s been previously available as extras on album re-releases, DVD and Blu-Ray special features.

« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2019, 12:36:01 PM »
Ah. I suppose it’s unreasonable to expect much more than that.
I was half expecting a bunch of gear from the unreleased Hastily Cobbled Together album.
https://youtu.be/qH5dsItjL84

« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2019, 04:50:31 PM »
I was half expecting a bunch of gear from the unreleased Hastily Cobbled Together album.
https://youtu.be/qH5dsItjL84

They had the C&W version of I'm So Worried, didn't they? I assume it was the version from that album (I've not listened to it yet).

« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2019, 05:16:55 PM »
They had the C&W version of I'm So Worried, didn't they? I assume it was the version from that album (I've not listened to it yet).

Yeah, the bonus tracks that came with the 2006 album reissues were largely curated from the unreleased ‘Hastily Cobbled...’ collection.

« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2019, 06:30:02 PM »
Email today from Network inviting me to join a Guinness World Record attempt for the Largest Gathering of People Dressed as Gumbys.

Tickets cost £40.

Pass.

« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2019, 11:55:50 PM »
Email today from Network inviting me to join a Guinness World Record attempt for the Largest Gathering of People Dressed as Gumbys.

Tickets cost £40.

Pass.
Passing obviously proves that you don't have what it takes to be a Gumby.
("My wallet hurts!")