Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:21:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Monty Python at 50 - Official Press Release

Started by Bad Ambassador, June 26, 2019, 12:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiny Norman

If it doesn't even refer to film, then it isn't restriced to on-location shooting either; it could then also mean that one or more studio tapes exist.

It doesn't make it anymore likely or course. At best, if we for some reason have to take the lavatory wall seriously, then I suggest that it refers to the S1E2 outtakes that some miscreant posted on youtube at some point.

I'm more interested to see the full memorial service or the Steve Martin sketch.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Spiny Norman on August 31, 2019, 09:13:20 PMIt doesn't make it anymore likely or course. At best, if we for some reason have to take the lavatory wall seriously...

Two different lavatory walls, thankyouverymuch... ;-)

olliebean

Quote from: Spudgun on August 31, 2019, 01:25:59 AM
The rushes are your unedited raw footage. I've definitely heard the word used to refer to recordings of videotaped shoots, even if that wasn't the original meaning.

The DVDs of Fist of Fun, for example, include "studio rushes" of some of the episodes.

Tony Tony Tony

Tony Tony Tony

By way of an update the first episode (of three 15 minute jobs) is on this coming Wednesday and the BBC blurb does actually look promising.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00081v8 

'On the 50th anniversary of Python, Michael Palin hunts down lost sketches. This programme contains material never heard before, including the infamous Fat Ignorant Bastards sketch.'

Gurke and Hare

I got an email today letting me know that the box set release has been pushed back to November 4th. Boo. Ah, but not boo, because the delay is a result of "during the course of the restoration, just as we thought we'd seen everything, yet more cans of film material emerged from other quarters that could, frankly, have been anything. We're still painstakingly going through every frame of the archive but have discovered a wealth of Python nuggets, a lot of it unseen."

Well, okay, I'll let them off then I guess. There's also a new bit of animation clean-up comparison footage although I don't know how many feet of film it covers.

mjwilson

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on September 02, 2019, 03:44:51 PM
By way of an update the first episode (of three 15 minute jobs) is on this coming Wednesday and the BBC blurb does actually look promising.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00081v8 

'On the 50th anniversary of Python, Michael Palin hunts down lost sketches. This programme contains material never heard before, including the infamous Fat Ignorant Bastards sketch.'

So this seems to be 5 episodes, not 3. I started listening on BBC Sounds and it started auto-playing onto episode 2, so perhaps it's all up there already?

olliebean

Quote from: mjwilson on September 06, 2019, 07:25:34 PM
So this seems to be 5 episodes, not 3. I started listening on BBC Sounds and it started auto-playing onto episode 2, so perhaps it's all up there already?

Yes, they all appeared at once the other day.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: TheMonk on September 07, 2019, 01:56:21 AM
Any good?

One hour fifteen of rediscovered Python material has got to be worth a listen in anyone's book. I did think the material was spread a bit thin though. Most lost then rediscovered material (like say old Bowie, Beatles or Bolan songs) does tend to be stuff that was cast aside for various reasons. Having listened to nearly all five of the shows they do seem to have the tinge of stuff that was at worst cut by the Pythons themselves for being substandard or at best chucked for reasons of time.

Mind you the Fat Ignorant Bastards sketch may have fallen foul of the censor fifty or so years ago?

mjwilson

Some of it just sounded like clips from the soundtrack albums to me - seems to be pushing it a bit to call that lost material. Unless they were alternate takes?

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

I heard all five episodes and the only truly entirely new material to my ears was the Fat Ignorant Bastards sketch. There were a couple of adverts I hadn't heard before, an extension to the Brave Sir Robin song that was new to me and I hadn't heard the 2014 rehearsal audio, but the lion's share was stuff that's been previously available as extras on album re-releases, DVD and Blu-Ray special features.

TheMonk

Ah. I suppose it's unreasonable to expect much more than that.
I was half expecting a bunch of gear from the unreleased Hastily Cobbled Together album.
https://youtu.be/qH5dsItjL84

olliebean

Quote from: TheMonk on September 07, 2019, 12:36:01 PM
I was half expecting a bunch of gear from the unreleased Hastily Cobbled Together album.
https://youtu.be/qH5dsItjL84

They had the C&W version of I'm So Worried, didn't they? I assume it was the version from that album (I've not listened to it yet).

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: olliebean on September 07, 2019, 04:50:31 PM
They had the C&W version of I'm So Worried, didn't they? I assume it was the version from that album (I've not listened to it yet).

Yeah, the bonus tracks that came with the 2006 album reissues were largely curated from the unreleased 'Hastily Cobbled...' collection.

Email today from Network inviting me to join a Guinness World Record attempt for the Largest Gathering of People Dressed as Gumbys.

Tickets cost £40.

Pass.

Spiny Norman

Quote from: Registering to lurk on September 09, 2019, 06:30:02 PM
Email today from Network inviting me to join a Guinness World Record attempt for the Largest Gathering of People Dressed as Gumbys.

Tickets cost £40.

Pass.
Passing obviously proves that you don't have what it takes to be a Gumby.
("My wallet hurts!")

Revelator

Network has a released a full list of extras for the MPFC box set--scroll down to the end of this page:
https://networkonair.com/all-products/3077-monty-python-s-flying-circus-norwegian-blu-ray-edition

A surprising amount of outtakes and extended sketches, plus the Bird's Eye Peas, Harmony Hairspray and Close-Up Toothpaste films! Very good news.

Gurke and Hare

Ooh, some lovely sounding stuff there. Extended Mrs Premise and Mrs Conclusion stuff is a good one.

Spiny Norman

Quote from: Revelator on October 21, 2019, 07:07:55 PM
Network has a released a full list of extras for the MPFC box set--scroll down to the end of this page:
https://networkonair.com/all-products/3077-monty-python-s-flying-circus-norwegian-blu-ray-edition

A surprising amount of outtakes and extended sketches, plus the Bird's Eye Peas, Harmony Hairspray and Close-Up Toothpaste films! Very good news.
I can now close my youtube channel...

Still holding out for the Steve Martin sketch, it's the only thing no-one has ever seen. If indeed it even still exists.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

So with the restored tape stuff anyone know if it will be as it was broadcast , sharp etc and just restored or will they add that annoying smooth not quite filmy look to it all? Incidentally what do you call it? Bugs the hell out of me for some reason.

Spudgun

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on October 22, 2019, 03:58:22 PM
. . . that annoying smooth not quite filmy look to it all? Incidentally what do you call it? Bugs the hell out of me for some reason.

It doesn't really have a name as such, but I think you're describing the removal of every other video field. It essentially drops the perceived number of pictures per second from 50 down to 25. I detest it when something that wasn't originally broadcast like that is "improved" in this fashion, too.

Quote from: Spudgun on October 22, 2019, 06:29:13 PM
It doesn't really have a name as such, but I think you're describing the removal of every other video field.
Isn't it called (as you nearly have it there) "Field-Removed Video"?

Spudgun

Quote from: sick as a pike on October 22, 2019, 06:42:49 PM
Isn't it called (as you nearly have it there) "Field-Removed Video"?

If you like. Some people call it "Filmizing", or the less accurate "Deinterlaced Video", or the brandname-based "Magic Bullet" technique. The more important part is that it halves the perceived frame rate.

Ah yes, FRV is a less universal term than I realised. I think it's because a group of posters on here a few years ago fervently took up "FRV" as a stick to beat TV comedy of the time, and I assumed it was the 'proper' terminology.

Glebe

mrfridge

That box set looks wonderful! Having not owned any of the previous Flying Circus tv releases, is there anything on any of those that is missing here? I'm a bit of a completist so I'd be slightly miffed if I bought this and was missing some decent older content.

neveragain

The only TV Python content missing, it would appear, are the two German episodes and the Montreux special. Oh, and the 30 minutes worth of new sketches on BBC's Python Night.

Spiny Norman

Quote from: neveragain on October 24, 2019, 04:34:22 PM
The only TV Python content missing, it would appear, are the two German episodes and the Montreux special. Oh, and the 30 minutes worth of new sketches on BBC's Python Night.
Steve Martin sketch.