Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:13:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Monty Python at 50 - Official Press Release

Started by Bad Ambassador, June 26, 2019, 12:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neveragain

It wasn't written by them so I'm not too bothered. Would be nice if it cropped up somewhere I suppose.

Moriarty01

Anyone else heard the rumour that the boxset release is due to be delayed AGAIN ?

Spiny Norman

Quote from: neveragain on October 25, 2019, 01:39:20 AM
It wasn't written by them so I'm not too bothered. Would be nice if it cropped up somewhere I suppose.
But everything else I've already seen; it will just be a quality upgrade on the industrial films.

Revelator

Network has just notified me that my set has shipped. It's going to be a fun winter.

neveragain

I haven't had a shipping notification, though I have had a general message saying it will be "in (my) hands by the release date". So, those who have ordered, speak up if they arrive today!

Gradual Decline

No shipping email for me as yet.

Which is fine as I do need a new Blu-ray player.

dr_christian_troy

Mr_Simnock

I havn't had owt either. COME THE FUCK ON  NETWORKONAIR, I WANT ME BLU RAY NOOOOOOOOOOOW

neveragain

I've just got a shipping confirmation message but bizarrely it contains with the words "excluding pre-orders"... What's a bugger to do?

You can check your order's status in the Order History section of your Network account. That should tell you what's been shipped and what's not.

Still awaiting an email here too. Network really don't seem to prepare well for handling big releases.

Gurke and Hare

I got the (except pre-orders) email too. Reading the email, it looks like the regular dispatch email, and that bit's a reference to any pre-orders you may have mixed into an order of otherwise in stock stuff. Looks like it's on lads.

Mr_Simnock

Mine has arrived today at home so can't wait to finish work and get back to unopen it all.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on November 05, 2019, 12:05:28 PM
Mine has arrived today at home so can't wait to finish work and get back to unopen it all.
Are you sending it back?

Mr_Simnock

Gradual Decline

Mine too has arrived this morning.

Just received the 'Your order has been shipped' email.

Helpful, I suppose. Cheers anyway, Network.

Mr_Simnock

I've had time to watch a couple episodes and a few of the bonus material bits and first impressions are that the team who created this box set have done an absolutely fantastic job. The Pythons will never look as good as they do in these new blu ray releases, what they have created with the source material available is just amazing. The extended Ron Obvious sketch film segment is a case in point, as this was converted from film it looks like it was filmed yesterday now viewed on a 55" TV upscaled to HD. Colours of this segment are more vibrant (and stable), dirt and other artifacts removed and with an amazing amount of detail to be seen it's almost surreal seeing it like this in it's condition. This box set is a top job and worth every penny.
P.S. sound is also much more clear now too.

neveragain

Quite agree! On the top of the obvious improvement in sound and picture quality, the extras (which I've been watching today) are startlingly comprehensive. It's wonderful to see the series treated with such care and respect, and to know that finally there is a complete Flying Circus set available. There's very little you could possibly say is missing, and certainly nothing of the original series' content.
Oh, the books look fantastic too.

Edit: To babble on a bit the only things I could think of to add would be the German episodes, Montreux Special, Python Night (as I listed above) but you don't really need any of them. And you could have some more contemporaneous TV relating to the Pythons (for example, the Undertaker sketch was discussed on one chat show, the presenter of which was actually in the choreographed audience, though I think only the audio of that remains)... but then when do you stop?
You can't have everything (most of this stuff's on Youtube anyway) and you certainly can't have Steve Martin.

dr_christian_troy

neveragain

FredNurke

Presumably most if not all of the omissions have been left out (at least in part) because of rights issues - although that makes me wonder who has the rights to outtakes and that sort of thing.

Revelator

My copy arrived today. Since I live in San Francisco I was worried overseas shipping would take a while. My package was sent via "UPS Saver" from "Technicolor Video Services" in Rugby. The label has a tracking number, which Network never informed of. But no matter, the set looks massive and magnificent.

Revelator

Nice interview with Idle and Cleese in The Daily Beast:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/monty-pythons-john-cleese-and-eric-idle-on-50-years-of-flying-circus-and-the-trump-and-brexit-shitshow

Idle on the Blu-Ray set:
"I was absolutely very, very impressed. I think it's been a good and valuable thing to do. It cost us a lot of money, but I think it was a very good thing to do because it looks amazing. That's what you can do with digital. Even the filmed segments, because we had a pretty bad cameraman. A lovely man, Jimmy Balfour, but everything he shot was pretty substantially dark! So it's a fantastic thing."

Cleese says he's adapting Life of Brian for the theater—"but not a musical" and working on the second book of his memoirs: "It will cover Python and Fawlty Towers and probably A Fish Called Wanda. I'll be going into the sketches in much greater detail and doing analyses. Last time people said there wasn't enough Monty Python—because there was hardly any—and probably this time people will say there's too much about it. But that won't matter, because they can skim. I'm explaining why I thought this sketch was superior to that sketch, and the fans will love it."

Revelator

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: Revelator on November 15, 2019, 06:02:42 PM
The Digital Bits has posted its review of the entire set. "Overall Grade: A"

https://thedigitalbits.com/item/monty-python-norwegian-bd-box

Chapter 1 starting with the VT is a nice touch, didn't realise that!

I'm loving the set. There is so much I do not remember ever seeing and it's an absolute joy.

Replies From View

Does anybody apart from me think that the dirty, scratchy nature of the film stock is part of the fabric of Flying Circus?  I can see the value of this restoration, definitely, but I think it'll always feel slightly "off" to me.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

That's a good point. For me it's the animated stuff I feel a bit strange about. I'll definitely enjoy seeing the whole lot all restored and I'm glad it's been done (and properly over years not just rushed out for a quick buck) but something about the gilliam bits definitely looks "too good" in the clips I've seen of it.

Along with all the old photos and strange drawn characters, the murky look of the animated segments was partly why it used to really freak me out. Hardly a bad thing that it looks as great as it does at all but I think I'll miss that.

Either way look forward to checking this out at some stage. Half of the show I've never seen before so a whole run through will be very nice indeed.

Also back to my earlier question now that people have their boxes, how does the tape stuff look?

magval

Has Network announced their intention to release the 4 series individually? Just bought the first in Sainzbos but can't see a release date for series 2 online.