Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:36:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Annoying / Slightly shit songs you're fond of

Started by Small Man Big Horse, June 26, 2019, 03:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

I've no idea why I like this, it's short but still annoying, and yet I can't get it out of my head - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wKoVAQkGLc (It's Bye Bye Birdie from the musical of the same name for those who can't be arsed to click the link) - The way she says "Ta ta" especially is amuses, but yeah, it's not a great song and yet I like it. It's odd.

Icehaven

I remember that song from when it was in Mad Men.
Anyway I like loads of annoying or slightly shit songs, far too many to list so I'll just pick a few of the most annoying and/or slightly shit;

Black and Gold by Sam Sparrow (who I thought was Sam Smith when he started getting famous, even though they're nothing alike apart from both being gay men called Sam.)

An Occasional Man by Judi Holliday/Jeri Southern/loads of similar singers.

Sheiss Drauf by Jeans Team

Gorillaz

ajsmith2

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 26, 2019, 03:26:14 PM
I've no idea why I like this, it's short but still annoying, and yet I can't get it out of my head - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wKoVAQkGLc (It's Bye Bye Birdie from the musical of the same name for those who can't be arsed to click the link) - The way she says "Ta ta" especially is amuses, but yeah, it's not a great song and yet I like it. It's odd.

I dunno if I would put that song and video into the thread title category you've given it. Absolutely GREAT moves and va va voom by Ann Margret, fantastic off the cuff joyful theatrics and phrasing, fantastic faces, fantastic body. Ok her voice is indeed intentionally dorky (but also conveys boundless infectious enthusiasm)  and yeah the song taken on it's own wouldn't have made the cut on Pet Sounds or OK Computer but it's absolutely fit for purpose for this performance.

I dunno, I have a high tolerance for what many would term camp or corn or cheese. It's all about context. surely? With show tunes and similar, it's all about a kind of campy heightened  reality that obeys it's own laws of musical physics. I think this is a primo top notch musical moment for what it is: they even single it out and study it as an iconic early pop video moment in that Mad Men show.

Small Man Big Horse

Ah, I didn't know the song was so well known (I only made it through the first season of Mad Men and then struggled with it's slow pace). I guess I just consider it a bit of a gimmicky song but still love it for some reason.

From the same movie I'd say this is definitely a bit annoying, yet I love it too - https://youtu.be/7sPU3ymk2ms?t=50 (The Telephone Hour)

bgmnts

Macarena
Gay Bar
Money (Flying Lizard's cover)

wosl

Jane Birkin - There's A Small Hotel. The chanteuse equivalent of a contestant from The Generation Game murdering a ball of clay on a potter's wheel, and yet I don't seem to be able to turn it off whenever it comes on.  I suppose it's the arrangement.  I do draw the line at her version of Where Or When, though.

DrGreggles

Phil_A

Despite the album it came from being one of my most regretful purchases of all time(in fact I think it may have been the very first CD i ever bought, think on that) I still have some lingering affection for flop third Babylon Zoo single, The Boy With The X-Ray Eyes and actually found myself really wanting to listen to it the other day. Can't help myself, I just think it's a bit of a banger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3Zc2yn9LLk

But only the original version, not the bafflingly shit re-recording they put out as a single. No wonder no-one bought it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1GasGuF3J8

studpuppet

Escape (The Pina Colada Song). I mean how many men could get away with looking for no-strings, outdoor sex outside their marriage and finding what they're looking for on their doorstep?

BeardFaceMan

a duncandisorderly

Clownbaby

kalowski

SteveDave

"Smooth" by Santana feat. Rob Thomas of Matchbox 20.

pigamus

Scammin

Absorb the anus burn

Paper Lace: Billy Don't Be A Hero.

Van McCoy: The Hustle.

The Settlers: The Lightning Tree.

10CC: Life Is A Minestrone.

+++

Quote from: Natnar on June 27, 2019, 11:23:03 AM
Any of the Stars On 45 singles.

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 26, 2019, 07:05:30 PM
'Love Missile F1-11' · Sigue Sigue Sputnik
https://youtu.be/l0HdYFSS1Rw

Both excellent choices.

Absorb the anus burn

What a great thread.

It reminds me of how much I love the Stars On 45 long player b-side with the Dutch disco clones joined by Long Tall Ernie and The Shakers (?) for the 50s pastiche b-side.

I knew it was shit for cunts even in 1980, yet I was fascinated by it...

+++++

Bye Bye Birdie (btw) has one of my favourite musical theatre sequences (which I luckily got to direct for a showcase years ago) featuring the geeky Telephone Hour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sPU3ymk2ms

I had my young athletic cast hanging off scaffolding rigs, upside down throwing mobile phones to each other... I bet you did, you dirty old bollocks etc.

Glebe

KC and the Sunshine Band - Give It Up.

I enjoy singing and playing it on guitar, doing the little funky bits and that.

Wheatus - Teenage Dirtbag.

Found this inordinately annoying when it came out, but it's undeniably listenable.

And then there's the bizarrely-compelling Official Worst Song of All Time:

Vanilla - No Way No Way.

Twed

Atlantic Star - Always

It's simply that I imprinted on this song when I was three/four. It heavily features cheesy FM synth piano, drum machine and sounds a bit like a rainbow. Those ingredients are very much a part of me, even if the end product is objectively interminable.

When I forget what my brain was like when I was three I will hate this song, but I will only have to suffer that for as long as it takes me to source a bullet to put through my head.

hummingofevil

Quote from: icehaven on June 26, 2019, 03:39:40 PM
I remember that song from when it was in Mad Men.
Anyway I like loads of annoying or slightly shit songs, far too many to list so I'll just pick a few of the most annoying and/or slightly shit;

Black and Gold by Sam Sparrow (who I thought was Sam Smith when he started getting famous, even though they're nothing alike apart from both being gay men called Sam.)

An Occasional Man by Judi Holliday/Jeri Southern/loads of similar singers.

Sheiss Drauf by Jeans Team

Gorillaz

I was very briefly a friend of Sam Sparrow. We had a mutual mate in London. I can remember being given a mini-disc of his demos and told to like them but was more into glitch and shit at the time. Literally spent one afternoon alone together smoking spliffs in back garden in Plaistow. Was a really nice fella. Never saw him again.

hummingofevil

Whilst I hate both the concept of a "guilty pleasure" and the idea of pricks telling me the reason I don't like awful shit like Queen is because I " think I am too cool" I have so admit that the one record that simultaneously straddles both of those concept and would be considered objectively shite by definition (that if you asked 1000 people if it was shite then 999 of them would agree answer yes) but the Steps Pistols bootlegs. Added fun that the copy I have is a double-one-sided 7".

I can't find a link* but think Criminal Ep / Richard X / mash up bootlegs but with Boyzone and Cher and with added Amen Breakcore that is totally out of sync with the source material. Its glorious.

---

Also, my favourite song ever by a distance is Superstar by Carpenters but if any of you lot suggest that is anything near slightly shit I will slice you. Peace and love x

*found one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgH9zMXo0x4

I have always been amused by memories of hearing White Horse by Laid Back in 1988, although I don't like it as such.

I remember an old acquaintance of mine full of acid asking a Greek guy in Santorini in pigeon English if he liked the wide wide horse while it was playing.

So it has maintained its fondness despite it's annoying/slight shitness.

In fact, exactly what was asked for.

Twed

I also love all of the Manic Street Preachers songs that people turn their noses up at. I don't get why Kevin Carter isn't universally considered a stone cold classic. They are one of the few bands that can write a "rock" song that doesn't age badly.

brb buying a denim jacket and writing something on it with Tipp-Ex

Twed

KEVIN CARTER KAFFIR LOVER FOREVER
CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK
CLICK YOURSELF UNDER

MiddleRabbit

Peter, Paul & Mary - I Dig Rock 'n' Roll Music.

I love everything about this, especially, well, everything.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iqY35SYsyfQ

QDRPHNC