Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:50:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Annoying / Slightly shit songs you're fond of

Started by Small Man Big Horse, June 26, 2019, 03:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Twed on June 28, 2019, 02:37:56 AM
I also love all of the Manic Street Preachers songs that people turn their noses up at. I don't get why Kevin Carter isn't universally considered a stone cold classic.

I've had the chorus of this stuck in my head all week except replacing the name with "CATHY CARTER-SMITH!" One of many altered song lyrics my brain invents to send me mental at work.

Mr Banlon

Jockice

Quote from: alan nagsworth on June 28, 2019, 05:06:52 PM
I've had the chorus of this stuck in my head all week except replacing the name with "CATHY CARTER-SMITH!" One of many altered song lyrics my brain invents to send me mental at work.

I do that with songs all the time. If you tolerate this Eleanor Kirkham will be next. (She's an ex of mine. Extremely ex).

Natnar

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on June 27, 2019, 07:07:42 PM
What a great thread.

It reminds me of how much I love the Stars On 45 long player b-side with the Dutch disco clones joined by Long Tall Ernie and The Shakers (?) for the 50s pastiche b-side.

I knew it was shit for cunts even in 1980, yet I was fascinated by it...

I had the 2nd Stars On 45 album as a kid. I think it was something about the cartoony album and single covers plus the fact that there were loads of songs on each album/single.

Twed

Quote from: alan nagsworth on June 28, 2019, 05:06:52 PM

I had a friend with the surname Carter and he got to gleefully substitute his family's names in when singing this. Daniel Carrrrter, Terry Carrrterrr.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Jockice on June 28, 2019, 05:29:46 PM
I do that with songs all the time. If you tolerate this Eleanor Kirkham will be next. (She's an ex of mine. Extremely ex).

I'm very sorry for your loss. https://www.yorktonthisweek.com/obituaries/kirkham-eleanor-may-1.1817142

Quote from: Phil_A on June 26, 2019, 08:25:25 PM
Despite the album it came from being one of my most regretful purchases of all time(in fact I think it may have been the very first CD i ever bought, think on that) I still have some lingering affection for flop third Babylon Zoo single, The Boy With The X-Ray Eyes and actually found myself really wanting to listen to it the other day. Can't help myself, I just think it's a bit of a banger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3Zc2yn9LLk

But only the original version, not the bafflingly shit re-recording they put out as a single. No wonder no-one bought it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1GasGuF3J8

Oh, I did like this one way back when. The album track is rather nice - I mean, its trying to be Bowie. Trying maybe too hard, but I appreciate the effort.

But, thanks to you, I've just heard the single version for what might be the first time. Yes, clearly, what that song needed was a BANGING beat behind it. Christ.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Jockice on June 29, 2019, 10:15:12 AM
Oh no, that's ruined my day. She was a looker though. You have to admit that.

I presumed you knew when you described her as "Extremely ex". But now I feel even worse, and am sorry for breaking the news in such a callous way.

Jockice

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 29, 2019, 12:53:52 PM
I presumed you knew when you described her as "Extremely ex". But now I feel even worse, and am sorry for breaking the news in such a callous way.

It couldn't have happened to a nicer person.

Phil_A

Quote from: A Hat Like That on June 29, 2019, 10:43:26 AM
Oh, I did like this one way back when. The album track is rather nice - I mean, its trying to be Bowie. Trying maybe too hard, but I appreciate the effort.

But, thanks to you, I've just heard the single version for what might be the first time. Yes, clearly, what that song needed was a BANGING beat behind it. Christ.

I think it was aiming for Suede, the opening is very reminiscent of "Stay Together" now I think of it.

I suspect the thinking behind that single version was that because everyone preferred the dance remix of Spaceman, the only way he was going to another hit was to make it as club-friendly as possible. That's the only explanation I can think of.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Twed on June 28, 2019, 08:35:53 PM
I had a friend with the surname Carter and he got to gleefully substitute his family's names in when singing this. Daniel Carrrrter, Terry Carrrterrr.

I was at a family wedding in Ireland a few years ago and Sex On Fire by Kings of Leon came on while we were on the dancefloor. Suddenly across the room there was a bit of a commotion, a big group of mates frantically looking around for someone or something. I was a bit baffled by this, until suddenly out of nowhere one of the few people I knew from that group came flying onto the dancefloor and jumped into them.

They raised him above their heads like a returning hero or, if you prefer, a passed out teenage girl at a Korean boy band concert. I was still utterly confused as to what was going on, until the chorus kicked in - this was clearly a routine that had been going on for a long time, as the whole gang sang "OHHHHHHHHHH...SEAN SEXTON'S ON FIRE" at the top of their voices as Mr. Sexton continued wriggling about above them. Was honestly one of the funniest things I've ever seen, and now whenever I hear that song I think of that night.

The Lion King

Maroon 5 - What Lovers Do

I really should not like this tune, I can't stand anything about Maroon 5, even the name annoys me. Also didn't they used to be a band? I only ever see the main guy. Anyway, this song is so catchy and I sing it to myself every day

garbed_attic

I quite like 'Pick a Part That's New' by The Stereophonics even though its lyrics are absolutely turgid! There was a real wave of bands in the late 90s and early 2000s that released solid, nicely put together debuts and followed them up with increasingly tedious returns - Stereophonics; Coldplay; Badly Drawn Boy etc.