Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:25:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Succession - Series 2 (HBO)

Started by chveik, June 26, 2019, 04:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

new trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhfYB0xaJvE

airing in August.

one of the rare series that I look forward to watch.

(thread for series 1: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=68458.0)

Small Man Big Horse

I'm greatly looking forward to this as well, certain elements in the finale frustrated me a little but as a whole I enjoyed it a lot.

peanutbutter

Season one was grand but I feel like it's had a weird reappraisal since airing; overhyped via topping many "most underappreciated shows of 2018" lists, maybe?

It was grand, I'll watch season 2 and hope they add a few more songs to the score.

Small Man Big Horse

We're two episodes in to season two and I'm enjoying this as much as ever. The various game playing is lots of fun and even though the majority of characters are horrendous I do have to admit to liking Shiv, and feeling sorry(ish) for Kendall, though right now I'm not sure if he's going to rally round or implode horrendously.

chveik

enjoyed these episodes too. it will never become a top tier hbo series, but it is pretty well written. Shiv is as awful as the rest of them, but the fact that she's incredibly attractive tends to make you forget it.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: chveik on August 19, 2019, 10:06:46 PM
enjoyed these episodes too. it will never become a top tier hbo series, but it is pretty well written. Shiv is as awful as the rest of them, but the fact that she's incredibly attractive tends to make you forget it.

Heh, I guess, I suppose because she was fairly detached from the family business in the first season she didn't seem quite as monstrous, but she is definitely cuntier this year. I'm still a bit confused as to what she sees in Tom though, he's such a twat of a man, sure I love the character as he's so ridiculous but why she does is beyond me.

Mobius

I'm about 4 episodes into Season 1 and quite enjoying this, although I'm not really sure why?

It's quite weird that it's written by one of the guys from Peep Show

EOLAN

The season finale last year was certainly better than Chappaquidick/The Senator.

Absolutely loved this weeks episode. Boar on the Floor and the real Brian Cox's performance was great and reminded me so much of Monty Python's movie producer sketch with Graham.
Chapman and all the yes men.
Great enjoyable indulgent show. More silly than high brow.

chveik

loved this week's ep. and after the boar on the floor one, i'm starting to think there's a lot of potential for this series to be truly great.

particular highlights:
the nazi guy stuff made me laugh
interesting development in tom & greg's relationship
gerry phone sex (!)
the ending

peanutbutter

Feel like it's really hitting its stride this season. All the characters seem a lot more settled into their identities. Loving Jeremy Strong's performances, although the current position he's in seems very unstable.

It feels like a more natural successor to the Thick of It than Veep to me. The pivot towards drama and a corporate environment in this period in time is a much better fit.

dirkgonnadirk

this is the best season of television in years. it's really quite phenomenally good.

Small Man Big Horse

EOLAN

Looks like there are plenty of items being tied up together. Obviously expect Rhea to be totally screwed come season's end. Love all the Romain reactions throughout; especially to the Kendall rap. Also finding the Romain/Gerry kind of romance to be very sweet.

peanutbutter

Enjoying this a lot, the whole owning Hearts thing feels like it has the potential to be a fun bizarre side story.

How is it that Logan's senility has all but vanished?

EOLAN

Quote from: peanutbutter on October 01, 2019, 09:24:25 PM
Enjoying this a lot, the whole owning Hearts thing feels like it has the potential to be a fun bizarre side story.

How is it that Logan's senility has all but vanished?
I think it's just going to be a side-note; but yes could see a lot of fun with the Hearts/Hibs confusion story-line and Logan using his ownership to totally jettison Hearts; sell their best players on cheaply to Hibs and finally getting hordes of protesters rather then the one lonesome one outside his house.

There was a possible hint of his senility when Shiv was going through their houses in the booklet and he didn't recognise any. Although I read this more that he just didn't care about any of his children's houses. While it adds to the story-line; I somewhat persevered through season one while Logan was recuperating and find season 2 to have stepped on leaps and bounds particularly with Logan being the big boss bully that has some hold of his faculties. Hope to see him stay somewhat healthy for a quite a bit longer. 

Crabwalk

I'm still enjoying it but I much preferred the first season. The story was more compelling, with higher stakes and it was funnier and darker. But my main issue with this series is that the characters have become wildly inconsistent. Shiv is probably the worst victim of this when you consider how smart and sharp she was in S1. She's getting played left, right and centre, making frequent faux pas, and acting petulantly. And as for Kendall...

I get that it's showing how Logan is fucking them up, but the quality of writing has dropped off so they just feel like different, dumber characters to me. I think Roman and Marcia have been let down by that too.

Plus each episode this year seems to be all of them heading off on a trip somewhere together. I miss them all having separate professional lives and then sparks flying when they meet in different combinations.

On the plus side, Tom and Greg are still a delight. Matthew Macfayden deserves to be showered with awards. Despite his character being the absolute worse type of person, the obsequious bully, I can't help but like him.

On the Hearts/Hibs thing, sorry but that was such a predictable and hacky joke. It also would've worked better and been more credible if it had been a mix-up between Dundee and Dundee Utd.

EOLAN

Some of the little things that I loved in this episode among all the darkest in the foreground.

Conor's reaction at the Senate hearing; especially after Kendall's put down of the senator.
Not sure whether it was meant to be a slight parody on how bad fictionalised football usually is on screen; but found it funny that the big highlight from the Hearts training session was someone blasting the ball with supreme conviction into an empty net from one-yard out.

peanutbutter

Only one episode left this season now? Don't really have much of note to say regarding that last episode, it was fine.

Quote from: Crabwalk on October 02, 2019, 11:06:20 AM
On the Hearts/Hibs thing, sorry but that was such a predictable and hacky joke. It also would've worked better and been more credible if it had been a mix-up between Dundee and Dundee Utd.
Oh I didn't mean the mixup, I just mean the idea of the Roys owning a SPL team.

Quote from: EOLAN on October 02, 2019, 11:00:29 AM
There was a possible hint of his senility when Shiv was going through their houses in the booklet and he didn't recognise any. Although I read this more that he just didn't care about any of his children's houses. While it adds to the story-line; I somewhat persevered through season one while Logan was recuperating and find season 2 to have stepped on leaps and bounds particularly with Logan being the big boss bully that has some hold of his faculties. Hope to see him stay somewhat healthy for a quite a bit longer. 
yep it's way better without him being so totally broken as he was in season 1, they seem to be bringing some allusions towards his health back in the last couple of episodes though.

Crabwalk

Well, the finale was absolutely brilliant. Despite them all being on holiday again.

Wow, that ending was incredible.

Legend Greg strikes again

chveik

boy oh boy that was fucking ace. I can't wait for the next season.

Tom really is a great character. "I'm not a hippie" etc

Small Man Big Horse

I felt oddly distanced by the show after the first two episodes, and it wasn't until the sixth that I got back in to it. I can't quite explain it other than I didn't really care what happened to any of them, but from episode six onwards it was indeed beautiful stuff and the final three episodes were especially twisted and gloriously fucked up, and that ending was a fantastic one. I mean it wasn't quite as great as Kendall's rap, but it was a close run thing.

Moribunderast

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 25, 2019, 09:03:42 PM
I felt oddly distanced by the show after the first two episodes, and it wasn't until the sixth that I got back in to it. I can't quite explain it other than I didn't really care what happened to any of them, but from episode six onwards it was indeed beautiful stuff and the final three episodes were especially twisted and gloriously fucked up, and that ending was a fantastic one. I mean it wasn't quite as great as Kendall's rap, but it was a close run thing.

I love the show but the bolded is what stops it from being in the true top-tier of dramas for me. I think it's an A+ show in terms of writing, acting and plot but all the characters are so hideous (even with their flaws which make them a bit vulnerable and sympathetic) that I don't care what happens to any of them. The stakes are meaningless in that sense because I don't care who inherits the company or who gets fired because realistically they're all so awful that I'd ideally see them dead. The beauty of the show is that it somehow does make it fun to watch all these awful cunts backstab one-another and be mostly miserable despite having the easiest and wealthiest possible life gifted to them. And despite all I've said about not caring about the stakes, that ending was a genuinely great "Ooooh shit" moment.

Mobius

Moribunderast

Quote from: Mobius on October 27, 2019, 12:35:08 AM
https://youtu.be/4yumeB9gMGY

This is great

That is, indeed, quite funny. The Kendall impersonation is spot-on but they're all good.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Moribunderast on October 26, 2019, 06:17:32 AM
I love the show but the bolded is what stops it from being in the true top-tier of dramas for me.
Love the show too but I wonder if our standards in general have slipped over the last few years. Feel like it's a long fucking time since there's been a TV drama that truly felt like it could be even considered amongst top tier stuff. Don't really think I ever could even consider this on that level as a drama, the core concept is set around figures that are just so totally unrelatable and dislikable, I liked season 2 about as much as I could like a show like this.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Moribunderast on October 26, 2019, 06:17:32 AM
I love the show but the bolded is what stops it from being in the true top-tier of dramas for me. I think it's an A+ show in terms of writing, acting and plot but all the characters are so hideous (even with their flaws which make them a bit vulnerable and sympathetic) that I don't care what happens to any of them. The stakes are meaningless in that sense because I don't care who inherits the company or who gets fired because realistically they're all so awful that I'd ideally see them dead. The beauty of the show is that it somehow does make it fun to watch all these awful cunts backstab one-another and be mostly miserable despite having the easiest and wealthiest possible life gifted to them. And despite all I've said about not caring about the stakes, that ending was a genuinely great "Ooooh shit" moment.

You've summed it up perfectly for me, especially the "I'd ideally see them dead" bit, I did wonder if the second season would end with a suicide, and found myself hoping it would, but I really didn't care which one of them it'd be.

Schnapple

Just finished this. Don't think I've had a bigger, more vocal response to something in a TV show since the episode of Breaking Bad with Gus and the bell. He's a fucking killer!

phes

Quote from: Schnapple on November 02, 2019, 09:26:43 PM
Just finished this. Don't think I've had a bigger, more vocal response to something in a TV show since the episode of Breaking Bad with Gus and the bell. He's a fucking killer!

Yes that was definitely a whoaaaaahhhhh up there with Walt mowing down Jesse's pursuers.

Thoroughly enjoyed this season once it got going. I found season 1 quite tiring and sometimes dull. It's more luck than judgement that I left S2 to run in the background while farting about and got properly drawn in. Excellent stuff