Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:40:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Films with honkingly-bad titles

Started by thecuriousorange, June 27, 2019, 04:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hobbs & Shaw

I've never seen any Fast or Furious films, but I quite like Jason Statham and The Rock, so if this bit of of nonsense had a better title I would maybe give it a go. When I see it advertised, or glimpe a poster, i just think, "What a waste".

If it were called Headbutting Exploisonfest  or even something as formulsic as Extreme Carnage i'd be on board.

Alpha Papa was also a woeful title.

Blumf

John Carter (2012), not 'John Carter of Mars', nope, just 'John Carter'.

Sure, 'A Princess of Mars' wouldn't get the boys in, but nobody knew who the fuck John Carter was, and even the adverts just basically blurted out the name with no other info. So people just shrugged and passed it by.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Free Willy

There's not even any cocks in it, just some dolphin fannying around or something.

The Last Airbender suffered the same fate as popular-beat-combo The Morning Benders, damned by a name that can't cross the Atlantic without being met with schoolboy sniggers.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: thecuriousorange on June 27, 2019, 05:15:31 PM
The Last Airbender suffered the same fate as popular-beat-combo The Morning Benders, damned by a name that can't cross the Atlantic without being met with schoolboy sniggers.

And that other film, 'Benders Say No', have you seen it?

St_Eddie

There's a great list here.

I've had friends offer to put on at least 3 of those films in my time and every time it's the same response from me; "uuhhh... have you got anything else?  We could watch that, I guess, but uhhh....".

jobotic

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on June 27, 2019, 05:08:34 PM
Free Willy

There's not even any cocks in it, just some dolphin fannying around or something.

Free Willy (Balls are extra)

Although to be fair, I think they just directly translated the French title, which I assume has some clever wordplay/double meaning the Gallic tongue.

Replies From View

Les Femmes de l'ombre

crudely goes as women of the shadows or shadow women

Quote from: A Hat Like That on June 27, 2019, 05:41:41 PM
Les Femmes de l'ombre

crudely goes as women of the shadows or shadow women

Well either of those would have been better titles!

sorry, distracted by distant memories of The Cement Garden and Charlotte Gainsbourg in the summer of 1993.

yes.

Avril Lavigne

1993's Kevin Klein / Sigourney Weaver comedy Dave.

phantom_power

Quote from: thecuriousorange on June 27, 2019, 05:39:47 PM

Although to be fair, I think they just directly translated the French title, which I assume has some clever wordplay/double meaning the Gallic tongue.

I think "Chariles Angles In WWII Save The Day" would have been a great title

mothman

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on June 27, 2019, 05:54:48 PM
1993's Kevin Klein / Sigourney Weaver comedy Dave.

Worth pointing out this is actually a good film though. But, yeah: "Dave." https://youtu.be/92w7mzSX5P0

Absorb the anus burn

Blumf

Replies From View

Quote from: Johan Cruyff on June 27, 2019, 06:39:51 PM

The third film tries to rack them up:  A Cock of the Land of the Sea.

Absurd.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: thecuriousorange on June 27, 2019, 05:39:47 PM

Depens?
EDIT: Chariles Angles too. LOL. I assumed it was something you made yourself as a joke but Image search shows that it's all over the place.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

But the sequel, Fanny and Alexander, was fabulous.

idunnosomename

Prequel Fanny By Gaslight isn't bad either

The series lost its way with the gender-flip reboot, Dick.

Gerald Fjord

Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium? Fuck off. Was "Mr. Baloystrops Magical Toy Shop" taken?

Mr McFrackingstone's Hydraulic Saxophone. Get outta here.

machotrouts

Quote from: Blumf on June 27, 2019, 04:58:36 PM
John Carter (2012), not 'John Carter of Mars', nope, just 'John Carter'.

I only just realised that "John Wick" is something different to this, and that a notorious space flop wasn't somehow on its third instalment.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus

Mr Magoriums Wonder Emporium

purlieu