Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:45:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Super Mario Maker 2

Started by BritishHobo, June 27, 2019, 08:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

Eight-and-a-half hours until this is playable on my Switch where I downloaded it FUCKING AGES AGO. I think this is the first time I've had a game on release day since Galaxy 2. Dead excited though. Might get off my lazy arse and actually make some courses this time.

Is anyone else playing this tomorrow?

Consignia

Yes. Mario Maker was one my favourite Wii U games. Just great to dip into for a quick Mario platforming hit. It'll fit the Switch even better, I reckon.

Kelvin

Not sure if it's because the game is just out, or because people have learned from Mario Maker 1, or (most likely) because Nintendo have implemented better algorithms/a tagging system, but the overall calibre of homemade levels seems much higher this time. Seems to be greatly reducing the number of auto-play and music levels in the featured and popular levels, anyway.

I'm also really enjoying the single player. I was a big worried if would be a bunch of short, uninspired levels simply showing off new features, a bit like the ones made for Mario Maker 1, but in reality, it plays like a proper Mario platformer, only with more puzzle elements, and a different style of narrative. Lots of levels to choose from at any one time, and a lot that impress in their ambition.

Certainly not a reinvention of the wheel, but seems to be a solid, refined continuation of the first game. Although no fun charachter costumes this time (like sonic, link, etc) feels like it's most obvious misstep.

BritishHobo

I was thinking the same - doubtless shit will creep in, but basically every creator level I've played so far has been at least a decent attempt at a good, fun level. Already seen a drawing of a gaping anus with a spunking cock coming out of it as well, so that's nice.

I'm awaiting the delivery man to bring my copy.

Not that I'm desperate to play it until this evening, just want to be able to go out in the garden without fear of it being undelivered as it's been put in a box that won't fit through my letterbox.

Just played a genuinely well thought out airship level in the Endless mode. I could have played through the 10 Mario Challenge in MM1 a thousand times and not found a single level of that calibre.

Really pleased at how they seem to be filtering out the crap. It's early days, I know, but I've not played a single lolrandom shitheap yet.

kittens

i must have this game. for goodness sake. how much is a switch. are they bringing a new one out? when do i buy a switch

Kelvin

Quote from: kittens on June 28, 2019, 09:57:10 PM
i must have this game. for goodness sake. how much is a switch. are they bringing a new one out? when do i buy a switch

I think they've said they aren't talking about new hardware this year, so 2020 is earliest it will happen.

Thursday

I'm guessing you need to pay for Nintendo's online service to access player generated levels?

I can echo what people have been saying about the standard of levels so far being a bit higher, which is good.

What is not so good is the frustration of trying to place and move and resize items on the Switch screen. I can't remember what it was like on the WiiU - did people use a stylus?

Maybe I'm missing something obvious which would help - skipped the tutorials!

Kelvin

Quote from: Emotional Support Peacock on June 28, 2019, 10:33:49 PM
I can echo what people have been saying about the standard of levels so far being a bit higher, which is good.

What is not so good is the frustration of trying to place and move and resize items on the Switch screen. I can't remember what it was like on the WiiU - did people use a stylus?

Maybe I'm missing something obvious which would help - skipped the tutorials!

I've actually order a £5 stylus, just to make levels. Not tried making at all yet.

Bazooka

Why would I pay to make a game,especially a Mario game, that's Johnny Nintendo's job.

Kelvin

Quote from: Bazooka on June 28, 2019, 11:30:24 PM
Why would I pay to make a game,especially a Mario game, that's Johnny Nintendo's job.

It's both. Nintendo have added an entire single player mode with over 100 levels, many of which have special complete conditions (no jumping, etc). And as you complete levels, you spend the money on building a new castle, and unlocking more levels/jobs. It's really good fun, and plays differently enough from previous Mario 2D side scrollers that it doesn't feel like a tired New Super Mario Bros Game.

Consignia

Gah, why did they put an endless mode in it? Now I've got a just one more level and then stop for infinity.

Seriously love this game.

Bazooka

Quote from: Kelvin on June 29, 2019, 12:01:23 AM
It's both. Nintendo have added an entire single player mode with over 100 levels, many of which have special complete conditions (no jumping, etc). And as you complete levels, you spend the money on building a new castle, and unlocking more levels/jobs. It's really good fun, and plays differently enough from previous Mario 2D side scrollers that it doesn't feel like a tired New Super Mario Bros Game.

Ha sorry Kelvin, was joking, hope you didnt pull into the hard shoulder to reply. I loved the first game.

Kelvin

Quote from: Bazooka on June 29, 2019, 12:20:49 AM
Ha sorry Kelvin, was joking, hope you didnt pull into the hard shoulder to reply. I loved the first game.

Great. I could have spent those minutes sitting in my pants and batman shirt staring at a wall, mate.

Kelvin

Quote from: Thursday on June 28, 2019, 10:29:10 PM
I'm guessing you need to pay for Nintendo's online service to access player generated levels?

Yes. I already have the online service, but I believe that's correct.

DocDaneeka

A bit weird you can't see your Switch friends maker profiles automatically.

Also no one has played any of the levels I've made so I don't know if the new system has taken against me or what.

Anyway play Y9N-V4J-XFF and gimme some likes.

Kelvin

I love love love the single player in this. It's just full of brilliant, original ideas, in a way recent 2D Mario weren't. Lots of missions with puzzle elements, several which are just fun little minigames, then a bunch of levels with specific requirements (like complete the level on a lakitu cloud) that play like more traditional Mario levels, but with a twist.

I even like that they've approached the story from a different perspective, but I'm inclined to say that, while its fairly charming, the amount of dialogue slows down the pacing slightly too much, compared to more traditional world maps/level selects.   

Anyway, I'd almost say the game is worth the money just for the single player. Madhair60, where you "at"? Thought you'd be all over this game.

magval

I am going to download it to Switch now. Tried to buy a cart today in three shops and was foiled twice by price and once by lack of stock. This is on you Kelvin mate.

madhair60

Quote from: Kelvin on June 29, 2019, 08:17:16 PM
Madhair60, where you "at"? Thought you'd be all over this game.

I will be when my stylus comes.

lazyhour

This sounds a lot like the 3ds Mario Maker then, which was stuffed full of excellent new levels with added specific challenges, and is amazing.

I've had a few more rubbishy levels while playing last night. Made sure I booed them. I think the ability to boo is probably helping a lot to sort the wheat from the chaff.

magval

Started single player last night, don't have Ninetndo Online so might never play anyone's levels

The sensation of playing through levels designed with old elements but with new music and baddies and whathaveyou is properly thrilling. Nintendo have dabbled in Mario Nostalgia for years, right up to Odyssey's 2D sections, but nothing comes close to playing brand new officially released SMW ghost houses and for that specifically, this thread gets my thanks.

Here you go

HDM-3DS-VKF

Only ten seconds long.

Consignia

The long awaited sequel to Basketball Heads (2015 Mario Maker Course):

TPT-C9S-CRG

robotam

Quote from: The Boston Crab on June 30, 2019, 01:04:07 PM
Here you go

HDM-3DS-VKF

Only ten seconds long.
Easy mate (spent around an hour doing it)

Consignia

Quote from: The Boston Crab on June 30, 2019, 01:04:07 PM
Here you go

HDM-3DS-VKF

Only ten seconds long.

Piece of piss, just set the world record.

Kelvin

How he fuck can Nintendo consider the 4 player online vs mode acceptable? It runs like sticky dogshit.

I uploaded a level last night, then an updated version of it this morning, but not a single person has played it! Sad.

5WP-783-X2G