Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:48:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Super Mario Maker 2

Started by BritishHobo, June 27, 2019, 08:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Quote from: Emotional Support Peacock on June 30, 2019, 07:05:59 PM
I uploaded a level last night, then an updated version of it this morning, but not a single person has played it! Sad.

5WP-783-X2G

Apparently the new system they use to filter out crap levels has also resulted in lots of levels not getting played at all. People think it might be because the levels only get put into certain modes if they're liked by at least one person. But that means it's hard to get into circulation in the first place.

I've also noticed another problem with the way they're prioritising creator levels now. It seems like, although the levels you play are generally of a much better overall quality than in Mario Maker 1, there's far less room for weird and quirky ones to break through, meaning you get countless fairly traditional Mario levels, but much fewer really inventive, unconventional or mad ones.

I've not really played around with tags/filters, though, so maybe that's better for finding more quirky stages.

Quote from: Consignia on June 30, 2019, 05:01:20 PM
The long awaited sequel to Basketball Heads (2015 Mario Maker Course):

TPT-C9S-CRG

This was great fun. Stupid but excellent idea I didn't even know was possible.

Thursday

I've got this now, although I want to play through the story first, and by the time I get to being able to scrape together a basically functional level I feel like everyone will have moved on.

Thursday

Quote from: Thursday on July 01, 2019, 04:43:36 PM
I've got this now, although I want to play through the story first, and by the time I get to being able to scrape together a basically functional level I feel like everyone will have moved on.

Why would you want to play through the story first, fool? Just make some Mario and get on with it. I'm sick of this gamer ticking shit off fetish. Just make the fuckin Mario and fuck on.

Kelvin

Quote from: The Boston Crab on July 01, 2019, 06:01:25 PM
Why would you want to play through the story first, fool? Just make some Mario and get on with it. I'm sick of this gamer ticking shit off fetish. Just make the fuckin Mario and fuck on.

The story mode is fucking brilliant, as I've outlined in posts above. It just gets better and better, more and more inventive with its ideas, and is honestly shaping up to be my 2nd favourite 2D Mario behind Super Mario World. Nintendo finally shaking off the idea of what a Mario level "should be", without losing the fundamentals of what makes the games so fun to play.

Keep your self made levels. I've barely touched them. 100+ levels made by Nintendo developers at their most goofy; yes, please.

Oh, I totally agree. Played like twenty hours of this since I got it, I'm just trying to motivate the guy to get stuck in. I also would say that the self made levels can be brilliant, totally left field approach and some brilliant challenges. I'd say my own level is one of the best I've EVER played.

Thanks for playing my course, people.

I've made a new one, possibly a little more challenging.

TC8-9RG-N8G

Fucks sake. I've only just realised you're YOU. Nice level.

Thursday

Quote from: The Boston Crab on July 01, 2019, 06:01:25 PM

Yeah I've just jumped in now, I was being a nerd who thought "I must watch every tutorial first" but nah fuck that, I can just do that if I'm looking for something specific.

And fuck me I wasn't expecting this to be so quite so addictive, as is probably the norm, I've started with something that's probably too ambitious for a first course.. well either that or it's very obvious and cliche, but I'm having a hell of a time making it. Handing in my notice at work tomorrow so I can work on this full time.

Quote from: The Boston Crab on July 01, 2019, 09:20:12 PM
Fucks sake. I've only just realised you're YOU. Nice level.

Thanks for playing. Your comment about the waiting around is absolutely fair but it was hard to avoid with the theme I was trying to uphold.

After so much trial and error getting all the timings right I couldn't face going back and doing major rework. I probably should have come back to it another day, but was feeling impatient!

I totally understand where you're coming from. It's necessary to have the waiting because of the theme and the tension you get from the rising level. It's just a little unforgiving and difficult to predict at times and this meant several deaths and restarts. That's where the waiting drags slightly. It was genuinely satisfying and relieving to finish it, though, and the idea is cool.

kittens

realistically i have about two weeks in which to buy a switch and this game or my levels will have absolutely zero chance of being played. stressing me the hell out. could afford it if i do literally nothing else this month.

in the meantime, is it possible for videos of levels to be posted so i don't miss out or is that a total pain in the arse

We can do that yes mate. Don't sweat it.

Also plenty of people will play your levels, just got to share them with pals online.

kittens

fuck it buying it tonight expect my first level later

BritishHobo

Quote from: Emotional Support Peacock on July 01, 2019, 09:05:54 PM
Thanks for playing my course, people.

I've made a new one, possibly a little more challenging.

TC8-9RG-N8G

Cracking level that. Dead satisfying when you figure out what's going on and what to do.

I need to get a stylus, start making levels without having to jab my fat finger on the screen. Tried a 3DS one but it didn't work.

Consignia

Needs to be a capacitive stylus, as the touch screen is different to a 3DS or WiiU one. Worth it if you are going make a few levels as it's far easier.

kittens

horrific realisation that i have totally forgotten how to make levels. £300 down the drain. gonna try story mode.

madhair60

Batallion Wars: 388-F80-C2H

kittens

had me ragin. so happy to discover i could just skip the boss fight.

Quote from: kittens on July 02, 2019, 09:29:08 PM
horrific realisation that i have totally forgotten how to make levels. £300 down the drain. gonna try story mode.

I felt like that at first but you soon get back to grips with it.

kittens

made my first level: 7LS - RBN - 0NF

it's short and bad cos i made it at work, but it was fairly fun doing it i suppose.

kittens

Can't believe the parody games already comin out, absolotely disgusting some of them

Super Raper Maker  is one I saw, don't even make sense :(

Super Mario Raper, yeah I get that, it's a hard level, "yo I got repd by that lvl bru" I can image someone saying but its still not cool.

The worst was Super Raper Raper which I don't even know what it's about, except it sounds like someone real bad got their comuppance

DocDaneeka

Ah my latest magnum opus A Snake's Progress is stuck on 0 plays! KF7-9GR-L9G to free it from limbo.

I'm slightly underwhelmed with the 3D world theme, without the 3D elements it's very similar to the NSMB but with Cat Mario and a Koopa cart. If they were going to go with an incompatible theme they should have gone with Yoshi's Island.

kittens

i pretty much hate all the themes aside from smb1 and smw. rest are shite. the 3d ones look horrible. borrowed odyssey off my mate so no levels from me for a long time probably.

Quote from: kittens on July 04, 2019, 08:27:13 PM
i pretty much hate all the themes aside from smb1 and smw. rest are shite. the 3d ones look horrible. borrowed odyssey off my mate so no levels from me for a long time probably.

You don't like smb3? Lunatic.

I like the wall jumps of NSMB but can't stand the aesthetic - I'm sure I'll end up making some levels in that style just for the wall jumps but it's never first choice otherwise.

As for the 3D world style - I skip every level I come across...

kittens

smb3 is third. it's ugly, but fine really. the 3d ones are on a different horrible planet populated by dumb babys.

Consignia

Quote from: DocDaneeka on July 04, 2019, 08:20:34 PM
Ah my latest magnum opus A Snake's Progress is stuck on 0 plays! KF7-9GR-L9G to free it from limbo.

You sure? I definitely completed it last night. Maybe it takes sometime to update?

Quote from: DocDaneeka on July 04, 2019, 08:20:34 PM

I'm at what I assume is the last bit and have failed and failed and failed to blow up that last block. I've given up for tonight but I will conquer it tomorrow!