Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:11:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Super Mario Maker 2

Started by BritishHobo, June 27, 2019, 08:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consignia

I must be in the minority, because I love the 3D World style. I think it looks and plays great, but no else seems to want to make levels for it. Mario World is my favourite though.

DocDaneeka

Quote from: Consignia on July 04, 2019, 08:44:40 PM
You sure? I definitely completed it last night. Maybe it takes sometime to update?

Weird nothing was showing all today and I checked again and it still wasn't, went to take a screenshot and there you were! No favourite though, absolute disgrace.

Had the week off from this because work has been a total cunny farm but can't wait to get back to see how many levels yall have made. I followed every bloke in the damn thread so I'll always stay 'abreast' of the situation. Can't wait for more, see you soon!

Thursday

I got fed up of making my level and so just uploaded it. I assume this is how all games are released.

JBS-SFN-CMF

Consignia

Quote from: DocDaneeka on July 04, 2019, 10:05:36 PM
No favourite though, absolute disgrace.

All I can say is I hate Snake Blocks.

EDIT: Just sent you some love, anyway.

Kelvin

Quote from: DocDaneeka on July 04, 2019, 08:20:34 PM
Ah my latest magnum opus A Snake's Progress is stuck on 0 plays! KF7-9GR-L9G to free it from limbo.

I'm slightly underwhelmed with the 3D world theme, without the 3D elements it's very similar to the NSMB but with Cat Mario and a Koopa cart. If they were going to go with an incompatible theme they should have gone with Yoshi's Island.

I agree about the 3D World theme. It looks nice, but it's lacking in options and it's frustrating how few ways there are to combine the different elements. It really seems like the graphical jump made it too hard to overhaul or reimagine the enemies, etc.

I also don't like the 'feel' of it compared to the other themes. Mario moves slower, the mid air spin takes too long, the moves don't flow into one another so effortlessly. I've played a few good levels in the style, but it's easily the most limited from a purely gameplay perspective.

madhair60

Bowser's Astle

XD0-5WP-68G

Thursday

Fuck off Luigi, I'm a big boy, I can do it myself.

What's that a reference to, buddy? Where's Luigi in this game?

If you lose a couple of lives in story mode, Luigi offers you some parts to add to the level to make it easier. If you die completely, he offers to finish the level for you (ie, skipping).

Thursday

I think he's pretending not to know to imply he's never once lost a couple of lives in a level.

He might have not just touched story mode though, both are very possible.

kittens

most of the levels posted in this thread are too hard. can you make some easier one please. i pretty much always give up if i die 3 times at the same thing, unless it's really late in the level. i like the ones that are like explore the fun castle and don't worry about anything.

It's funny how you sit down to make a level and three hours later you've come up with something that only takes 60 seconds to complete.

Not too hard either, I don't think...

XBR-TW7-YWG

Kelvin

Finally finished my first level; a refined version of one of my Mario Maker 1 levels.

S8T-G5W-V1H

Thursday

Quote from: Kelvin on July 06, 2019, 01:43:22 AM
Finally finished my first level; a refined version of one of my Mario Maker 1 levels.

S8T-G5W-V1H

Selling a rehash to us as new content? Fucking state of this industry! Get Jim Sterling on this cunt.

Kelvin

Quote from: Thursday on July 06, 2019, 12:19:41 PM
Selling a rehash to us as new content? Fucking state of this industry! Get Jim Sterling on this cunt.

We offer a very generous rolling content package, including super mushrooms for players who want to clear the level faster.

Only $3.99

BritishHobo

Quote from: DocDaneeka on July 04, 2019, 08:20:34 PM
Ah my latest magnum opus A Snake's Progress is stuck on 0 plays! KF7-9GR-L9G to free it from limbo.

I'm slightly underwhelmed with the 3D world theme, without the 3D elements it's very similar to the NSMB but with Cat Mario and a Koopa cart. If they were going to go with an incompatible theme they should have gone with Yoshi's Island.

I would like to make it known I completed this level after fucking ages, only for the game to tell me the server was down for maintenance, and to boot me back to the main menu without registering my great victory.

BritishHobo

You know what's great, I've played hundreds of levels on Endless Mode and I think I've only played two which used the unavoidable death gimmick.

Kelvin

Some of the player created levels are so good. I played one from the popular stages called "The Mystery of Luster Lake" (or similar) this morning, and it was just such a simple idea, elevated by details and execution. I just love how clever some of them are.   

Consignia

Another reuse of a mechanic from a Mario Maker 1 level I made: 8DC-09Q-SHF.

Twed

Story Mode is not to be sneezed at, there are some damn fine levels, no filler. Plus you get unlockables.

Kelvin

Quote from: Twed on July 07, 2019, 11:14:36 PM
Story Mode is not to be sneezed at, there are some damn fine levels, no filler. Plus you get unlockables.

Yeah, its brilliant, and probably goes overlooked by many players because of the focus on homemade stuff. It's basically paced like Mario 3, but with a density of ideas and styles rare even for a Mario game. The focus on earning money also really incentivises you to collect and keep the coins on every level; which has basically been pointless in every 2D Mario since the beginning.

This is right up there with Sekiro and Rolling Gunner as GOTY so far. It's probably better than both, in fact. It's pretty much perfect for what I want.

Kelvin

It kind of crept up on me, tbh. I loved the original, but honestly expected this to be more of the same, just without the added novelty. A bit like how Splatoon 2 is really good, but just didn't pop for me like the first one did.

Instead, Mario Maker 2 has impressed me at every turn. Yes, it feels very similar to the original, but the far higher standard of levels being selected, and the brilliant single player have both caught me off guard and left me grinning for hours every day since it launched. Even with their strong line up in the second half of the year, I can't really see any 2019 Nintendo game winning me over like this one has.

Consignia

Story mode is great in general, but there are a few levels that feel they could come up randomly in endless mode, such as the Koopa kart level, and the one you basically keep running right over spikes whilst invincible. I wish a few more levels embraced the Kishoutenketsu philosophy.

Kelvin

Quote from: Consignia on July 07, 2019, 11:56:43 PM
Story mode is great in general, but there are a few levels that feel they could come up randomly in endless mode, such as the Koopa kart level, and the one you basically keep running right over spikes whilst invincible.

Agreed. But I don't think that's a problem in single player. A short kart level is fine as part of 120+ varied and well designed levels, it's just another gameplay style. It's repetition that makes music levels, "hold right", and kart levels feel boring in the online mode.   

QuoteI wish a few more levels embraced the Kishoutenketsu philosophy.

One of the reasons I so like the single player is that, generally speaking, they don't. 2D Mario has got too formulaic in recent years, precisely for this reason. It's nice to play levels made by Nintendo developers which feel less like conventional Mario, and more like they were allowed off the leash a bit. There's something more personnel and whimsical about the levels that way. They don't neatly conform to a house style. 

Twed

Quote from: Kelvin on July 07, 2019, 11:35:31 PM
Yeah, its brilliant, and probably goes overlooked by many players because of the focus on homemade stuff. It's basically paced like Mario 3, but with a density of ideas and styles rare even for a Mario game. The focus on earning money also really incentivises you to collect and keep the coins on every level; which has basically been pointless in every 2D Mario since the beginning.
Plus these basically are homemade levels, except by professional level designers. It shows.

Twed

Plus it's really fun figuring out what the level designer names are referring to.

Kelvin

Quote from: Twed on July 08, 2019, 12:12:04 AM
Plus these basically are homemade levels, except by professional level designers. It shows.

Exactly. Not sure if this is the reality, but I just imagine each developer fucking about making loads of levels to amuse their colleagues, then selecting the best, rather than setting out to make each carefully planned level by agreement. I never get that sense of ownership or personality from the New Super Mario Bros. games, by way of contrast. These just feel like really well made Mario Maker levels, rather than "Official Mario Levels" - and that's refreshing after all these years.