Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:02:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Lo and Behold (Herzog, 2016)

Started by Mobbd, June 28, 2019, 09:42:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobbd

Feeling a bit down in the dumps about the Internet and how its tendency to modify behaviour on a mass scale is likely to be the downfall of everything we know and depend on, I watched Lo and Behold, Reveries of the Connected World, a 2016 documentary about the Internet by Werner Herzog.

It's already a little bit dated (and some of it, i.e. "Internet addiction", were a bit old-fashioned even when it was made) but the general thrust of the thing is relevant and the first chapter in particular (about the early Web) is pretty great. It has some fabulously-old information scientists in jackets and ties explaining Arpanet and the likes.

Anyone here seen it? Worth a look. It's on Netflix.

Cool poster:

Paaaaul

It's a solid Herzog doc, or more accurately a compilation of ten short Herzog shorts around a theme. The guy in the early section talking about the Arpanet is a pure, Herzogian character.

Around the same time it came out, Netflix released another of Herzog's new docs, Into The Inferno, which is one of his great films. It's more than just a film about volcanos.

garbed_attic

I think Herzog is such a master of landscape it's inherently perverse for him not to make a film about landscapes.

Mobbd

Quote from: Paaaaul on June 28, 2019, 10:09:42 PM
It's a solid Herzog doc, or more accurately a compilation of ten short Herzog shorts around a theme. The guy in the early section talking about the Arpanet is a pure, Herzogian character.

Around the same time it came out, Netflix released another of Herzog's new docs, Into The Inferno, which is one of his great films. It's more than just a film about volcanos.

Oooh! Into the Inferno is still on Netflix. Will watch with the appropriate INTENSITY.

You sound like someone who knows about Herzog. Have you read Guide for the Perplexed? I am building up to it.

Paaaaul

Quote from: Mobbd on June 30, 2019, 11:36:36 AM
Oooh! Into the Inferno is still on Netflix. Will watch with the appropriate INTENSITY.

You sound like someone who knows about Herzog. Have you read Guide for the Perplexed? I am building up to it.
Netflix own Into The Inferno. It'll always be on there.

Yes, I've read the book, and it's magnificent.
It goes chronologically through all his films, so the more you've seen, the more you'll enjoy it.