Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:02:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Aggretsuko (Netflix Original anime)

Started by Blue Jam, June 28, 2019, 04:34:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Series 2 is now on Netflix- any other fans here?

Aggretsuko is an anime sitcom which follows the life of Retsuko- a meek, put-upon, socially inept "office lady" (and red panda) who gets her frustrations out by turning into her Aggretsuko ("Aggressive Retsuko") alter-ego and screaming out death metal karaoke.

Her frustrations include her menial job where her boss, Director Ton- a sexist boor (and a literal male chauvinist pig) overloads her with work and spends most of his day practicing his golf swing; Tsunoda, an irritatingly perky and ruthless office politician (and gazelle); Kabae, the office gossip (and hippo); her meathead yoga teacher yelling at her about "PROTEIN!"; her much cooler and more glamorous friends, and her non-existent love life.

In this new series they're joined by Anai , the supremely passive-aggressive new intern (and badger) who makes her job even less bearable, plus her overbearing mother who is desperate to get her married off- something which would allow her to quit work and which she would be very happy with, if it wasn't for the whole marrying part...

I like the way it approaches the whole "old meets new" culture of Japan and explores the less pleasant side of that- one minute Retsuko is using Instagram in an attempt to make herself look much cooler than she really is, the next she's contemplating an arranged marriage and falling in line with Japan's surprisingly conservative and sexist culture. There's also something about the combination of cute Sanrio-designed characters and bleak storylines which makes it funnier.

Anyone who's lived in Japan (and there seem to be a lot of us here on CaB) will recognise a lot in this and I'd recommend you give it a go...

boki

Ah, yeah, I've seen a few episodes and really enjoyed them.  Thanks for the reminder.
[TAG]Salarypan(da)[/TAG]

alan nagsworth

This sounds right up the alley of me and my partner, thanks for the tip!

Blue Jam

The episodes are only about 15 minutes long, you can breeze right through it. There also a Christmas special, We Wish You A Metal Christmas, with some death metal covers of festive favourites.

Also Retsuko's Instagram account is real:

https://www.instagram.com/retsuko1106/