Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:15:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What kind of bed do you have?

Started by peanutbutter, June 29, 2019, 06:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutbutter

I'll have to buy a bed soon Pretty tempted to buy  a murphy bed (one you can spring up into the wall) but it'd cost x2-x3 as much). Alternatively might just have a mattress on the floor, anyone do that?

What kind of bed do you have? Do you like it? Whats the worst bed you ever had?

and how about mattresses?

imitationleather

bgmnts

I sleep on a memory foam mattress on top of a longer but thinner memory foam mattress that's been folded. I've slept on better beds.

Not a joke btw.

tookish

We've got a superking so there's room for the three of us. It's fairly glorious.

The worst bed I ever had was a very manky double that was left in the house I moved into. I couldn't afford another bed, but it was filthy even after a good scrubbing, and the slats frequently broke.

mothman

King size faux leather sleigh bed from Dreams. Pocket-sprung mattress with an integral memory-foam topper, medium-firm I think it is.

Twed

Quote from: tookish on June 29, 2019, 06:43:25 PM
We've got a superking so there's room for the three of us. It's fairly glorious.
Imagining you all tucked into a little packet of cigarettes, all poking out the top. It's very cute.

Twed

I sleep on a cheap metal bed frame, with a mattress and boxspring wrapped in airtight casings, no headboard, the legs of the bed placed in ClimbUp™ traps and the entire bed isolated from the wall.

Why? Fucking neighbour keeps bringing bed bugs into the building and this is the only way to prevent getting infected.

Jockice

It's from Ikea. On my one and only ever visit there in my life, 22 years ago.

buzby

Ikea Malm Ottoman Standard Double (lifts up so you can store stuff underneath):

Pocket sprung medium-firm mattress (from Argos - I had vouchers to spend) on top. Would have cost £500 all in without the vouchers.
S'alright.

Danger Man

Big fancy bed from the Conran Shop. Quite expensive but I spend over a third of my life in it.

shiftwork2

2 grand for a bed frame?  Who do you think you are, Paul Raymond?

studpuppet

Me and the missus sleep in Coco (along with the kids and the cats on a Sunday morning):

https://loaf.com/products/coco-french-bed

Before that we slept in a peasant's coin-de-lit like this (one side goes against the wall). I had to make the slats myself, luckily out of 4x2s because neither of us have the physique of a French peasant from the 1800s.

QDRPHNC

When I moved last year, I decided to treat myself by buying a platform-style bed with a solid headboard (for feng shui) and no footboard, because I am quite tall. Being able to freely dangle my toes off the end of the mattress is a sublime freedom.

peanutbutter

Quote from: buzby on June 29, 2019, 07:57:01 PM

Pocket sprung medium-firm mattress (from Argos - I had vouchers to spend) on top. Would have cost £500 all in without the vouchers.
S'alright.
My current one is like this, it's good and all but the going prices seem to start at around £250 and, I dunno, just having a bed with legs gives you greater access to the space below and whatnot.

Just realised a murphy bed would require drilling holes into the wall, is that something you have to ask the landlord about?

buzby

Quote from: peanutbutter on June 29, 2019, 09:22:39 PM
My current one is like this, it's good and all but the going prices seem to start at around £250 and, I dunno, just having a bed with legs gives you greater access to the space below and whatnot.
Yes but a bed with legs also gives monsters and peeping toms easier access to the space below too - have you considered that?

The cheaper  faux-leather ottomans come in around £150-£200, but they are pretty nasty (the fake leather coating starts flaking off after a while. The Ikea one is £300 and very sturdy.
Just realised a murphy bed would require drilling holes into the wall, is that something you have to ask the landlord about?
They say you should anchor the frame into as many studs in the wall as possible with 2.3" or 3" screws, which is something the landlord probably wouldn't be happy about.

imitationleather

Quote from: buzby on June 29, 2019, 09:38:56 PM
The cheaper  faux-leather ottomans come in around £150-£200, but they are pretty nasty (the fake leather coating starts flaking off after a while.

Harsh.

thenoise

Nice oak slatted bed frame from a local shop. Our mattress is micro springs or something, big and fancy but not memory foam as we are not fans (we are hot sleepers). I wouldn't necessarily recommend a big fancy mattress tho as it's a pain to make the bed properly with such a heavy one. If you're young and will sleep anywhere, like me, just get a normal one.

Invest in some decent pillows though.

Pingers

The only way to get a mattress up the dog leg stairs into the attic bedroom without having to bend the mattress was to get a super king-size that comes in two halves that zip together. And because there is then a slight ridge down the middle where the zip goes, we bought a good quality, thick memory foam topper. Oh my fucking God. It's the best bed I've ever slept in and I sleep in it every night. If I've had a bit of weed, then lying on it feels like I'm floating. A truly great bed.

mothman

Dr Trouser

Quote from: buzby on June 29, 2019, 07:57:01 PM

S'alright.

You could fit a whole Shannon Matthews in there

Twit 2

Custom made super king sized, with fucking expensive mattress and goose feather duvet/pillows. You gotta go all out on a bed, make it an absolute decadent luxury, only way to sleep.

Cerys

With a black duvet cover and pillows, dark red sheets, and an occasional large fluffy moggy.

mothman

Replies From View

peanutbutter

Any futon sleepers? that'd be one hell of a space saver if it worked

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: peanutbutter on June 30, 2019, 09:22:12 PM
Any futon sleepers? that'd be one hell of a space saver if it worked
'Slept' on a futon once 25 years ago, still recovering.

Ian Drunken Smurf

220cm x 200cm boxsprung bed. V. comfortable.

Neville Chamberlain

I have a massive bed for enormous amounts of sex.