Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:23:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Blackadder Series 5?

Started by Phil_A, June 30, 2019, 02:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil_A

Looks it like it might possibly be happening? Well according to "a source", so take that as you will.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/5399/blackadder_series_5/

It would be nice to see the old boys back together(particularly Stephen and Hugh), but...the odds of such a thing being any good are pretty slim, let's face it.

bgmnts

Richard Curtis and Ben Elton have turned into such shitty writers though.

Jumblegraws

It could work of there's competent millennials heading up the writing. If it's Curtis, Elton & co giving older people's takes on younger people's takes on older people, I guarantee it will be shit.

Quote from: Jumblegraws on June 30, 2019, 03:03:31 PM
It could work of there's competent millennials heading up the writing. If it's Curtis, Elton & co giving older people's takes on younger people's takes on older people, I guarantee it will be shit.

Didn't Elton once write a teenage girl whose catchphrase was 'hashtag (various words)'-you know, like you always hear teenagers going round saying!?

Jumblegraws

Dunno but it sounds so much like something he'd do that it's valid to make fun of him for it.

ajsmith2

There's no way this could be any good. Also, it probably won't happen.

DrGreggles

It'll be the shittest shit since Simon Shit (the shit shitter) shat shit onto a shitty stack of shit.

I don't have high hopes.

idunnosomename

Sounds shit but I remember this sort of rumour not that long ago

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 30, 2019, 04:36:30 PM
It'll be the shittest shit since Simon Shit (the shit shitter) shat shit onto a shitty stack of shit.
lol

marquis_de_sad

Apparently it's going to be set in the immediate aftermath of 9/11.

kidsick5000

Maybe Curtis can work in a joke where the characters connive to have one of their wives unwittingly, and under the influence, be lured into having sex with another man..

They could set it at the start of the eighties, when Edmund Blackadder, aspiring sitcom writer, seems on the verge of having his medieval ancestor's comic adventures accepted to be made into a series, only for his script to be stolen and used by someone else...

Clive Langham

STUDENT: Actually I'm not a woman any more - I identify as a man, and wish to be known as Bob.

PROFESSOR BLACKADDER: "Bob"?

Clive Langham

CHANCELLOR LIZ TUDOR:
Did I hear you make a sexist remark in that lecture, Professor Blackadder?

PROFESSOR BLACKADDER:
Most assuredly not, Chancellor. Why I'd sooner call you a stupid cow who's got her position by being on her back more times than the winner of the 2020 all-comers lying down competition, than make a sexist remark.

BritishHobo

Hopefully just another in the long long line of many Sun stories where a 'source' reveals news about some film/TV sequel that never actually happens.

up_the_hampipe

Gregory Torso

They can't possibly be thinking of using the same cast? Tony Robinson is now a hundred-year-old moleman who steals skeletons out of Salisbury plain; Rowan Atkinson earns a billion pounds a year saying the word "wibble" in front of the queen; Steven Fry is a great slumbering hill of pate; Hugh Larry is off being in American things and who even fuck knows about Tim Mcinnery probably getting his knob out in Starlight Express like some kind of rollerskate nonce.

lankyguy95

Quote from: Clive Langham on June 30, 2019, 06:00:30 PM
CHANCELLOR LIZ TUDOR:
Did I hear you make a sexist remark in that lecture, Professor Blackadder?

PROFESSOR BLACKADDER:
Most assuredly not, Chancellor. Why I'd sooner call you a stupid cow who's got her position by being on her back more times than the winner of the 2020 all-comers lying down competition, than make a sexist remark.
That made me laugh and now I'm thinking it wouldn't be quite as horrendous an idea as it seems.

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on June 30, 2019, 05:21:12 PM
Apparently it's going to be set in the immediate aftermath of 9/11.

Should be as least as far back as the 80s, to have any sort of period feel.

Alberon

It'll never happen and it would be a late series AbFab level disaster if it did.

Spiny Norman

Quote from: Phil_A on June 30, 2019, 02:48:49 PM
Looks it like it might possibly be happening? Well according to "a source", so take that as you will.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/5399/blackadder_series_5/

It would be nice to see the old boys back together(particularly Stephen and Hugh), but...the odds of such a thing being any good are pretty slim, let's face it.
"It should be noted the characters returning has not been officially confirmed by anyone involved, and it is not the first time that a fifth series has been reported but then nothing has appeared."

At least, I was going to say that, but the article itself beat me to it!

When has a sequel 30 years later EVER let us down? (Could we be suffering from let-down-syndrome?)

garbed_attic

I'm going to take a stab at the contents to come...

Ep 1: Safe Spaces
Ep 2: Political Correctness
Ep 3: Transgender
Ep 4: No Platformed
Ep 5: Postmodern
Ep 6: Harassment

Basically, this Simpsons sketch extended for a six episode season:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8M2tg2RkIQ

Clive Langham

I'm struggling to think of who the Baldrick character would be. I suppose if it was a posh Oxbridge university he'd be a porter.

Ferris

Quote from: Clive Langham on June 30, 2019, 11:33:30 PM
I'm struggling to think of who the Baldrick character would be. I suppose if it was a posh Oxbridge university he'd be a porter.

Mature student maybe?

The whole idea sounds awful. Product of too much curvoisier in a posh London club. Let it die now.

Danger Man

Quote from: Clive Langham on June 30, 2019, 11:33:30 PM

The History Man meets a load of snowflakes.

Please don't do this.

(It will be set in a redbrick because they all think 'redbrick' is funny)

Ferris

Or at Hull University, because it's funny to have a sideways pop at the plebs (many of whom weren't even privately educated)!

Obviously I'm classically educated but my point re: snobbery still stands.

greenman

Quote from: gout_pony on June 30, 2019, 11:10:00 PM
I'm going to take a stab at the contents to come...

Ep 1: Safe Spaces
Ep 2: Political Correctness
Ep 3: Transgender
Ep 4: No Platformed
Ep 5: Postmodern
Ep 6: Harassment

Basically, this Simpsons sketch extended for a six episode season:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8M2tg2RkIQ

Which I could imagine being the reason behind such a potential choice of subject, a setting that would allow for recycling a lot of existing comedy rather than having to come up with something more wholly original.

bgmnts

Blackadder was never contemporary though, and it wasn't even using it's setting to make any kind of social or political commentary, I mean it touches on gender (bob) and class system most of all but I don't feel it goes out of its way to be political. It's all about Blackadder getting into shit situations and digging himself out in the nick of time, classic sit com stuff.

St_Eddie

Hopefully there's no credibility to this rumour.  Just leave it the fuck alone.  Not everything needs to be revived, especially decades after the fact, when the creatives involved are way past their peak.

Ferris

Quote from: bgmnts on July 01, 2019, 12:35:53 AM
Blackadder was never contemporary though, and it wasn't even using it's setting to make any kind of social or political commentary, I mean it touches on gender (bob) and class system most of all but I don't feel it goes out of its way to be political. It's all about Blackadder getting into shit situations and digging himself out in the nick of time, classic sit com stuff.

It'll be all "snowflakes" and "SJWs" ie a load of shit