Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:09:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Blackadder Series 5?

Started by Phil_A, June 30, 2019, 02:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
In the kind of mood tonight where I actually hope this is all true and they are going ahead with this, because I'm at the point where I'd like to see yet another widely beloved British institution get destroyed by hubris

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Jumblegraws on June 30, 2019, 03:03:31 PM
It could work of there's competent millennials heading up the writing. If it's Curtis, Elton & co giving older people's takes on younger people's takes on older people, I guarantee it will be shit.

Young people attempting to emulate classic Curtis and Elton dialogue is a far more horrific thought than the actual Curtis and Elton attempting to copy what they sounded like when they were themselves young, clever and funny.

greenman

Quote from: bgmnts on July 01, 2019, 12:35:53 AM
Blackadder was never contemporary though, and it wasn't even using it's setting to make any kind of social or political commentary, I mean it touches on gender (bob) and class system most of all but I don't feel it goes out of its way to be political. It's all about Blackadder getting into shit situations and digging himself out in the nick of time, classic sit com stuff.

Goes Fourth was arguably more political but in a general sense rather than making it the specific subject of jokes/plots which again I suspect would be much easier to recycle existing jokes.

checkoutgirl

Upstart Crow was somewhat of a return to form for Elton so it could be decent. Although I enjoyed Blackadder Back and Forth so I'm easily pleased. The fact that Curtis hasn't made anything decent in 30 years means it behoves the producers to keep him away.

I'm all for it. Comebacks are all the rage now. Spice Girls, Take That, even East 17 tried it. If there was any decent music about these comebacks wouldn't work. Comedy must be in the shitter for this to even be considered.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on June 30, 2019, 07:59:22 PM
That show almost managed to devastate the history of British comedy.

I can't understand how Paul Merton's career survived the 'Is it a Dolphin in a bathtub?'. But then he was on a long past it BBC TV show, and they're pickled in aspic, and he's safe for life. Like the show.

Norton Canes

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 01, 2019, 07:48:15 AM
Curtis hasn't made anything decent in 30 years

Vincent And The Doctor

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 01, 2019, 07:48:15 AM
Curtis hasn't made anything decent in 30 years

Just realised we're very nearly at the thirtieth anniversary of Goes Forth airing.

gilbertharding

I just hope this is as good as The Wright Way. That show really skewered the way we're all obsessed with Health and Safety (Elfen Safety, I call it!!) and Political Correctness.

A 70s setting would be good, with hippy leftyism and the new permissive society contrasted with hungover old-fashioned reactionary views and culture.

Panbaams

Maybe it'll be set in a universe where Edmund Blackadder wakes up and is the only person who remembers Richard Curtis existing.

TheMonk

Although it's all bollocks, the mention of Russel Brand appearing instantly put me off the whole idea. Ich.
It's like Izzard and Mike Myers in the Python reunions. It just seems to make the whole thing seem wrong somehow.

ajsmith2

Quote from: TheMonk on July 01, 2019, 12:05:25 PM
Although it's all bollocks, the mention of Russel Brand appearing instantly put me off the whole idea. Ich.
It's like Izzard and Mike Myers in the Python reunions. It just seems to make the whole thing seem wrong somehow.

Maybe it'll be set in the early 2010s when Brand was still culturally relevant.

Seriously though, considering how unadvanced plans are at this stage, why even mention a potential guest cast unless you're just throwing out click bait to annoy forums like this? Should've added Corden too for the full outrage bingo.

99 per cent chance it wilnae happen anyway as we all know.. I remember the rumours of the New Testament era one that were going around in the mid/late 90s..  even then that seemed wrong: out of chronology. not set in Britain,  high chance of being a poor mans Life of Brian.. the idea failed to excite back then.

However, although I know I'm in the minority on this, I do dearly wish they'd made the 60s one they were postulating, The Blackadder 5 in 1991 ish. It would have good, but only they'd made it then.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on July 01, 2019, 11:39:37 AM
A 70s setting would be good, with hippy leftyism and the new permissive society contrasted with hungover old-fashioned reactionary views and culture.

With Rupert Rigsby-Blackadder running a boarding house or something?

Icehaven

Maybe they'll hologram in Rik Mayall and Patsy Byrne.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: gilbertharding on July 01, 2019, 11:34:48 AM
I just hope this is as good as The Wright Way. That show really skewered the way we're all obsessed with Health and Safety (Elfen Safety, I call it!!) and Political Correctness.

Why do you have to be so negative? The Wright Way was 6 years ago, Upstart Crow is still going.

St_Eddie

Well, I for one, am incredibly excited for this upcoming series and think that it will be an outstanding comedy.  A future classic, to be sure.

St_Eddie

Oops, sorry.  I posted in the wrong thread by mistake.

The Wiki entry about actual historical Blackadders of note contains some gems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_Blackadder#Historicity

Gulftastic

Blackadder was all downhill after the almost perfect series 2. I can't see this reversing the trend.

Maybe they can tack on another unearned 'emotional' ending that people can rabbit on about for fucking years.

Quote from: Gulftastic on July 01, 2019, 08:44:29 PM
Blackadder was all downhill after the almost perfect series 2. I can't see this reversing the trend.

Maybe they can tack on another unearned 'emotional' ending that people can rabbit on about for fucking years.

Hot take.

Yes, people have been wanging on about it for 30 years - it's become like Del Boy falling through the bar, only sad - but ending a sitcom about a group of soldiers in the trenches during WWI with their inevitable, futile deaths is hardly a piece of unearned emotion. It works.

ajsmith2

Heresy. 'Don't drink the wine!' was brilliant.

DrGreggles

Blackadder was all downhill after the almost perfect series 2.

I agree, but not in a 's3 and s4 were shit' way.
They just weren't as good.

S2 is one of the most perfect comedy series IMHO.

Spiny Norman

What if they bring back Lord Percy Percy?

Some might say that the stupidiy is too predictable, but that never stopped Baldrick. And certainly every "Darling" joke was a complete and utter surprise until the very last second. I never saw those coming at all...

Ferris

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 01, 2019, 08:36:45 PM
The Wiki entry about actual historical Blackadders of note contains some gems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_Blackadder#Historicity

This was great, thanks for sharing

My pleasure. I was particularly tickled by this line: "Edmund Blackadder was at the battle of Carberry Hill in June 1567, and was one of the first to abandon the Queen and ride away."

Replies From View

More Lackadder than Blackadder, am I correct, haha!!!

Replies From View

Blackadder Five?  Blackadder Shite, more like!!!

Glebe

greenman

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 01, 2019, 10:07:19 PM
I agree, but not in a 's3 and s4 were shit' way.
They just weren't as good.

S2 is one of the most perfect comedy series IMHO.

Still s3 for me, perhaps because its the one of the three that's not so much focused on Edmond in conflict with a rival(Melchett in s2 and Darling in s4) and has to be a little more original as a result.

The "bald rick" idea never really seemed like a starter to me considering Blackadder was always taking aim at the establishment previously, something like cold war Mi5 or the press in the same kind of era seem a much better fit.

Quote from: greenman on July 01, 2019, 11:08:43 PM
something like cold war Mi5 or the press in the same kind of era seem a much better fit.

That's a great idea. Not if they made it now, obviously, but I think all concerned could've come up with the goods in the early '90s. Blackadder, Baldrick and George as low level MI5 agents, Melchett as their boss. Potentially very funny.