Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:07:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Softmodding A Wii

Started by Delete Delete Delete, July 01, 2019, 01:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
After picking up a Wii at the Carboot sale for £15 and softmodding it. I was suprised how easy it was. I've installed Genesis, Snes, Nes and MAME emulators on it. Is this currently the easiest and cheapest way to make an emulation machine at the moment. Wii's seems to be dirt cheap.

Ferris

Probably - I've given away 2 Wiis and a Wii U in the last few years. I bought them "refurbished" 2nd hand from the Canadian CeX equivalent for next to nothing, and remember they were laughably easy to hack (though I didn't have a go at the Wii U).

Didn't realize you could get emulators for them though, regretting giving mine away now. Could get another one second hand for peanuts if I really cared though...

kngen

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on July 01, 2019, 01:20:17 PM
After picking up a Wii at the Carboot sale for £15 and softmodding it. I was suprised how easy it was. I've installed Genesis, Snes, Nes and MAME emulators on it. Is this currently the easiest and cheapest way to make an emulation machine at the moment. Wii's seems to be dirt cheap.

How did you manage this? I got one to do much the same, but got as far as putting Homebrew on it then giving up after all I got was some bubbles and any tutorial I could find online would just direct me to github, which would as well be in sanskrit.

I should mention that I'm fairly shit at this sort of thing.

Ferris

Quote from: kngen on July 01, 2019, 05:52:24 PM
How did you manage this? I got one to do much the same, but got as far as putting Homebrew on it then giving up after all I got was some bubbles and any tutorial I could find online would just direct me to github, which would as well be in sanskrit.

I put homebrew on it, put ISOs onto an SD card and played off that. I followed a youtube tutorial as I am also shit at this sort of thing

Quote from: kngen on July 01, 2019, 05:52:24 PM

After getting the Homebrew channel I googled for the emualtors and extracted them to the SD card, then put the Roms on a seprate USB stick. Then when I bott up the Wii and go to the channel the Emualtors are on the menu, I then opened them and changed the settings to point at the USB instead of the SD.

Best thing is you can also emulate N64 and GC through the internal shit, don't need to do anything else. Also you can play Wii games.

kngen

Nice one folks, I'll have another stab at it

Johnny Textface

Do all N64 games work now? Last time I did this it was hit and miss.

Apologies if I'm wrong about that but can't you just download the Wii shop versions?

If you can get hold of a cheap Wii U you can do everything you can with a Wii plus install Wii U games, run emulators with a bit more grunt and have it output in HD via HDMI.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/a-homebrewed-wii-u-is-an-amazing-retro-console.39306/

madhair60

Unfortunately you also have to fanny around with the piece-of-shit space-taking-up gamepad

You can mostly just chuck it in a drawer and use a pro controller instead.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on July 02, 2019, 11:15:22 AM
If you can get hold of a cheap Wii U you can do everything you can with a Wii plus install Wii U games, run emulators with a bit more grunt and have it output in HD via HDMI.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/a-homebrewed-wii-u-is-an-amazing-retro-console.39306/
You've to softmod the wii u and then softmod the wii u's virtual wii iirc?

I got one a while back and only really used it for BotW and a bit of MK8 tbh. From what I recall you can play GameCube games on the controller, which is pretty neat really.

madhair60

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on July 02, 2019, 03:20:39 PM
You can mostly just chuck it in a drawer and use a pro controller instead.

Hakchi literally requires it to boot anything in my experience. Once you've done that you can switch to the Pro, but it's a fucking fannyabout. I'd recommend a standard Wii over Wii U anyday for emulation

Quote from: madhair60 on July 02, 2019, 10:46:23 PM
Hakchi literally requires it to boot anything in my experience. Once you've done that you can switch to the Pro, but it's a fucking fannyabout. I'd recommend a standard Wii over Wii U anyday for emulation

CBHC has superseded Haxchi and doesn't require the gamepad at all.

madhair60

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on July 03, 2019, 06:13:05 AM
CBHC has superseded Haxchi and doesn't require the gamepad at all.

Well then!!