Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:56:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

black midi - Schlagenheim, a fuckin post punk/hardcore wet dream

Started by alan nagsworth, July 01, 2019, 06:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

Woof my god this band of young lads is an exciting unit. I was really not feeling this, their debut album, on the first listen as the frontman's got quite a distinctive voice which I found off-putting, but I'm very glad I stuck with it. This is gonna be one of the best things I hear this year.

An immense amalgamation of sound, sharp angular guitars and brutal repetition, big militant beats, a fantastic loud/quiet dynamic, great smatterings of dub noise, and a clear influence from so many bands like Talking Heads, Pere Ubu, Polvo, Slint and Shellac. I've played this fucker through about three or four times today and just can't get enough of it. Thrilling. Now I see why people have been banging on about them for so long, despite them having released little to no music before this but building up a seriously fierce reputation on the road with a bunch of previously untitled songs.

Get a hold of this thing. If you ain't got the means right now, then cop their KEXP session from earlier in the year because it's a friggin whirlwind.

sevendaughters

incredible drummer but feels like all the bands who used to play Sounds From The Other City on the Fat Out stage from 2005-2012, precious and annoying, not hearing what anyone else is hearing here and they fall right into my woodshed.

alan nagsworth

Listen to some fucking new music you bellwipes (not you sevendaughters, at least you have a go).

sevendaughters

i like that video that is basically zooming in on a drawing, felt different

Funcrusher

Watched a bit of that. They all look about 12. They have some chops but no songs thus far. They're like Bitch Magnet or some other second tier band on Touch and Go or Homestead or whatever.

Cheers, nags. I was introduced to them today at work and was meaning to get round to their debut this evening.

Had no idea they were so young (and British).

Neville Chamberlain

Yes, yes, yes, been meaning to start a thread about this lot, but completely forgot, mainly because I've been too busy listening to the album. Yes, it's an absolute belter and I'd be surprised if anything tops this for me this year.

I was lucky enough to see them live here in Berlin back in February this year. I turned up at the small venue without a ticket, massively underestimating the hype surrounding them. I was one of the last in before the woman at the ticket desk put up the "Ausverkauft" sign. The place was absolutely rammed, had never seen it like that before. Seeing them again in October in a much bigger venue here in Berlin - and this time I've already got my ticket.

I first discovered them about two years ago when my brother saw them as one of the support acts for the Spratleys Japs at the Windmill, Brixton, where they were effectively one of the "house bands." He excitedly mentioned this band of sickeningly young scamps making a noise somewhere between This Heat and The Pop Group, with a bit of mathiness thrown in. Christian Hayes - former Cardiacs and Levitation guitarist - was at the gig and was drunkenly heard to say, "How good are these cunts?!?"

Anyway, the album: any accusations of preciousness or whatever might stick for me if they weren't so fucking good at what they do. I've heard a few bands that sort of plow a similar furrow but sound annoyingly contrived, a bit too try-hard. But not Black Midi. The songs on Schlagenheim flow, build, collapse and dash off at unexpected angles with total ease and a lack of pretension. (Funnily enough, for me, the only vaguely "skippable" track on the album is BMBMBM, the very track that's kind of become their signature tune.) And not to take anything away from Geordie, Matt and Cameron, but how fucking lucky do you have to be to play with a drummer like Morgan Simpson?!?!?

And, nags (and anyone else), if you haven't already, listen to this live performance of Black Midi backing up Damo Suzuki.

the

I approve of this product or service, but I think they've done themselves an arseache naming themselves after this sort of caper, as previously when they've cropped up in discussion or weblinks I tended to assume that that's what was being talked about.

alan nagsworth

Oh that's where the name is from. Yeah, that's lame. Generally the "Black" prefix in a band name is shit, I think. Black Sabbath is the only good one because it's one of the originals.

Black Lips, Black Dice, Black Pus, Black Lace. All fantastic artists, all shite names.

Inspector Norse

Black Uhuru, Black Star, Black Sheep, Black Grape, that guy who was literally just called Black, Black to Comm, The Black Madonna

There's a lot of them about without even getting into the Black Eyed Peas.

sevendaughters

Black Moth Super Rainbow is a good name. Black Eyes makes sense but not inspired. Black Angels meh.

Neville Chamberlain

I like the name "Black Midi" :-(

Not so keen on "black midi" as a genre - just sounds like billions of notes all played at once!!!

jobotic

Big Black is good.

Black Helicopters, not sure

Blackanory is great but sadly I made it up.

holyzombiejesus

Black Kids was a good name.

I listened to Black Midi and just felt confused. Possibly the first time I've felt that about a new band. Just couldn't make head nor tail of it.

thugler

Saw at glastonbury, really enjoyed. Vocals reminded me of the jesus lizard.

The guitarist is fucking excellent.

Inspector Norse

I had a wee listen to this today.

There's certainly plenty going on and they do well to mix some quite contrasting influences into a pretty individual style; it's all performed with skill and no small amount of gusto.
What I think holds it back is that there's nothing that really connects: no hooks other than the occasional OK riff, a weak frontman who strains and mumbles rather than bringing more personality, and a few passages that stray into meaningless artwank.
I don't think they need to change the essential sound, there's potential there, but I think the material can improve. They don't have to start writing MTV choruses or anything, but something is needed to make the songs stick.

I can imagine they'd be a blast live.

Bobby Treetops

Quote from: thugler on July 03, 2019, 04:32:06 PM
Saw at glastonbury, really enjoyed. Vocals reminded me of the jesus lizard.

The guitarist is fucking excellent.

Much like yourself I dragged myself out of a sweaty tent to watch them in a bigger sweaty tent.

Really loud and intense, exactly what was needed to to clear my bleary head.

shh

I've seen them covered in the FT & spectator recently, of all places. But yes, exciting album, I would add kraut/math-rock to the genre blend.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: Bobby Treetops on July 03, 2019, 06:50:06 PM
Much like yourself I dragged myself out of a sweaty tent to watch them in a bigger sweaty tent.

I also did this, although I didn't specifically go to see them, just walking to get a coffee and hard some SIZK TUNEZZZ.

holyzombiejesus

I've just listened to the KEXP session and like that but what I heard of the album really left me cold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMn1UuEIVvA

thugler

Quote from: Bobby Treetops on July 03, 2019, 06:50:06 PM

Yeah, christ that was a strange and refreshing thing to see at 11am bleary eyed! Lots of more fringe stuff hidden here and there amongst the kylies...

jobotic

The bit I heard was quite a lot like Bitch Magnet, although I don't agree they were second tier. My brother saw them quite a while back in Brighton was raving bout them live. And how young they were, and he's no pensioner.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: jobotic on July 04, 2019, 07:55:04 AM
The bit I heard was quite a lot like Bitch Magnet, although I don't agree they were second tier. My brother saw them quite a while back in Brighton was raving bout them live. And how young they were, and he's no pensioner.

Umber is great.

jobotic

Sure was. Star Booty wasn't bad either.

I should add my brother saw black midi, I saw Bitch Magnet. I'm the doddery old one.

Clownbaby

What a magnificent peeerrrrrrrrpusss. I love these boyos. There are so many uncomfortable/strangely hilarious moments in this album. I'm excited to see what else they come up with. Someone said in a Youtube comment they sounded like "the music version of 'name one thing in this picture' " which I thought was strangely accurate. The main singer's voice, oh my god, that was the clincher for me. The first song I heard was Ducter and when it got to the "he could not... break meeeee.... he could nevah breeaaak meeeeeahajtkbgnekxintbksifusjbdbkekxoshdhnagahyxkdohddjdjjdjsuafzbej" I was very sold. I love a bizarre vocal.

Ha n'a n'a n'a n'a n'a n'a n'a hee n'a