Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:00:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Parasite (new Bong Joon-ho film)

Started by zomgmouse, July 02, 2019, 07:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zomgmouse

Bong Joon-ho's new film is a sharp, weird social satire about an unemployed family who work out a plan to infiltrate a rich family's household through one by one getting employed as various home staff. It's terrific. A little like if Haneke had directed Shoplifters. Many thrilling touches and it gets to some unbelievable places. Go see this!

chveik

zomgmouse

Lost Oliver

Thanks Z, I will definitely check this oot. Stilll not seen Shoplifters yet.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Lost Oliver on July 11, 2019, 08:00:05 AM
Stilll not seen Shoplifters yet.

Do yourself a favour and watch it! Then check out some more of Kore-eda's back catalogue. My favourites are After Life and I Wish. Still Walking is great as well.

zevons1958

Great movie, anyone who likes this should check out Borgman.

Small Man Big Horse

It's now "Available" too and what I plan to watch tonight.

Small Man Big Horse

I thought this was superb too, it didn't have quite the emotional impact of Okja but it was just as fascinating to watch, if not more so.

alan nagsworth

Excellent film, thank you very much for the heads up. Memories of Murder was great and I adore The Host, but this delivered on such a higher level. I was completely sucked into it. Tense, but with a brilliant sense of humour - I'd expect nothing less from South Korean cinema of this calibre, but like I said, this was really top tier stuff.

My one question is if the family are so smart and cunning, how have they come to find themselves in such a shitty destitute scenario as we see them from the start of the film? I know they say that they had a number of failed ventures and folded businesses in the past but it still felt a little farfetched that they were so completely and utterly impoverished.

zomgmouse

Quote from: alan nagsworth on August 17, 2019, 10:56:25 PM
My one question is if the family are so smart and cunning, how have they come to find themselves in such a shitty destitute scenario as we see them from the start of the film? I know they say that they had a number of failed ventures and folded businesses in the past but it still felt a little farfetched that they were so completely and utterly impoverished.

Because of society

Puce Moment

Late-stage capitalism is quite the foe of the feckless thief.

I stupidly watched this the day after Shoplifters, so the coldness of his style was not quite what I was in the mood for. Going to give it a rewatch.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Puce Moment on October 15, 2019, 12:57:30 PM
Late-stage capitalism is quite the foe of the feckless thief.

I stupidly watched this the day after Shoplifters, so the coldness of his style was not quite what I was in the mood for. Going to give it a rewatch.

What did you make of Shoplifters? It's been on my hard drive for a while now but I've not yet got round to watching it.

Puce Moment

Well, I love it. It is a completely different idea, but does have a sense of falling through the gaps of contemporary society. It is lighter than Parasite and at points rather heart-warming and lovely, but also contains what are probably darker themes, and ends in a less clear way.

If you saw and liked his earlier film Nobody Knows, then this is almost an accompanying film thematically. I love both.

Enrico Palazzo

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 15, 2019, 01:07:31 PM
What did you make of Shoplifters? It's been on my hard drive for a while now but I've not yet got round to watching it.

Shoplifters is great.

Small Man Big Horse

Thank you both for that, I'll definitely watch it sooner rather than later.

peanutbutter

Looking forward to this but a bit guarded too. Liked Memories of Murder and loved Mother (it has been ages, mind), but I've fucking hated the rest of his films.

RE: Shoplifters, I absolutely lapped it up, but I'm a sucker for Koreeda and think there's a few blunt choices in it that could swing some people towards hating it.

Crabwalk

Wow. It's not subtle, but this is an incredible piece of modern satire. Tense, funny and entertaining as it is along the way, it ultimately wields an absolute axe. Don't want to spoil it if you've not seen it, though.