Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:26:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bonzo Dog Band Name Stolen

Started by Phil_A, July 02, 2019, 02:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil_A

This is utterly bizarre and somewhat troubling.

https://www.crowdjustice.com/case/bonzodogbanned/

Basically the Bonzos have lost control of their band name because some wanksock has fraudlently registered  copyright over it, which apparently is something you can just do without having to provide proof of legal ownership. And now they're having to raise thousands of pounds on order to fight the claim in court.

I've heard this happens all the time with patent applications, but never with a band before.

Twed

Pet peeve: copyright and trademark are a different thing. You copyright content, you trademark branding (i.e. a band name)

Copyright is mostly default, too. You put a work out there and you have the rights to it. Trademarks have to be registered.

Brundle-Fly

I remember hearing once that Garth Brooks bought the rights to the letter 'G' as a brand. Years ago, when Geri Halliwell was about to embark on a solo tour of the States she was not allowed to have a giant 'G' as her backdrop. Nuts, if true.

Maurice Yeatman

I thought it was Gareth Gates Warren G he had a G-spat with.

hummingofevil

Can't they just call themselves The B0nz0 D0g D00da Band or something?

DrGreggles

Didn't they officially drop the 'Doo Dah' and become The Bonzo Dog Band anyway?

Paaaaul

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 03, 2019, 07:51:29 AM
Didn't they officially drop the 'Doo Dah' and become The Bonzo Dog Band anyway?

I think everything they've done in the last fifteen years or so has had the Doo Dah in it.

I saw the band play a couple of years ago, and didn't think they deserved to be using the name anymore. It was Rodney Slater and a few other blokes.

daf

samadriel

Quote from: daf on July 03, 2019, 07:40:05 PM
The Bonzo Dog-Doo Band?

That's how I've always perceived their name, it's very off-putting.

Nowhere Man

I prefer it with the 'Doo-Dah' in the title, it rolls of the tongue better.

Unlike actual dog doo.

wosl

Dog doo don't; doo-dah deffo doo.

Jittlebags

zomgmouse

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Phil_A on July 02, 2019, 02:34:24 PM
the Bonzos have lost control of their band name........ And now they're having to raise thousands of pounds on order to fight the claim in court.

fuck's sake. shit like this boils my piss, so it does. I hope they get an enlightened judge who tells the wanksock he's going to be hanged for this.

I mean, why? why would you pick on the bonzos & not someone genuinely deserving of the bother?

Panbaams

It's been done by a company called Anglo Atlantic Media. According to their discogs page their main business is in (what look to me like) grey area "official bootlegs" of live performances – including a BDDDB reunion concert: https://www.discogs.com/label/952613-Anglo-Atlantic-Media-Ltd

Golden E. Pump

Change the name to Anglo Atlantic Are Cunts.

Triple A Cunts is actually pretty badass.