Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:45:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Corbyn 24: OUR party, people!

Started by Johnny Yesno, July 02, 2019, 10:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Calf

Quote from: Zetetic on August 18, 2019, 12:37:09 AM
Court case, for what that's worth.

I've never thought about this: would it be a criminal offence for the Prime Minister to ignore statutory legislation?

Zetetic

I don't know if contempt of Parliament ostensibly provides a formal framework for actual use of force.

Regardless, if we're at that point, it's essentially down to whoever can command loyalty from the organs of the state and, maybe, essential labour and the wider population.

Suki Bapswent

Or... Bercow. I've little doubt his office is currently investigating the extent of his reach.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Suki Bapswent on August 18, 2019, 01:02:24 PM
Or... Bercow. I've little doubt his office is currently investigating the extent of his reach.
lol

greencalx

Even by Andrew Rawnsley's usual standards, this is a load of drivel from start to end: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/18/mr-corbyn-wants-a-general-election-but-is-his-party-ready-to-fight-one

Wasn't there something on twitter doing the rounds showing official data that Labour had a £14m election warchest?

Paul Calf

And the Tories are 5 million in debt. Rawnsley's an obsequious brown-nosing shitbag though, so it's not surprising.

Johnny Yesno

We must live within our means.

Oh, wait, that turned out to be FUCKING BOLLOCKS, didn't it?

Johnny Yesno

Chuka Umunna is utterly deluded:

Jeremy Corbyn's plan to defeat a no-deal Brexit - BBC Newsnight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDUcrFWNC38

thugler

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on August 18, 2019, 05:33:23 PM

Jeremy Corbyn's plan to defeat a no-deal Brexit - BBC Newsnight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDUcrFWNC38

Just bizarre. Will absolutely love it if lib dems end up backing out and he has to can all his 'impossible' bollocks.

chveik

greencalx

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on August 18, 2019, 05:33:23 PM

Can you summarise the salient part. Not sure I can drag myself through all that dreck.

Paul Calf

Me neither. I hate asking people to do work for me but I honestly can't sit through that bullshit.

Zetetic

Forward to the 12m10s mark for a start, I guess.

And then whack playback speed up to 3-5x, I suppose.

greencalx

I never knew you could change the playback speed. That's revolutionised this sort of thing for me!

Zetetic

Not fast enough, alas. The highlight is probably arguing about Dominic Grieve, to be honest.

It interesting to see the positions of Tory 'moderates' - that they cannot bring themselves to undergo a Corbyn-led government - being portrayed as so fixed. I can understand that to some extent - I'm more convinced of 'my' side to be able to change their views and actions, and of the utility on focusing trying to achieve this. But that's because I consider us to be on the same side - it doesn't really connect when it's someone telling me that the problem is that Corbyn is an stubborn cunt and he needs to sort himself out because everyone else's views are simply eternal facts.

Practically, I'd have thought that anyone could VoNC such a government anyway. (But by then Corbyn has broken the dubious barrier of statesmanship.) Being generous, perhaps there is some concern about conditions attached to renegotiation with the EU, or A50 extension, or Re-Referenduming - can't really see what those would be, particularly given the lack of options for doing any of those.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: greencalx on August 18, 2019, 05:54:06 PM
Can you summarise the salient part. Not sure I can drag myself through all that dreck.

I see Zet has helped out here. Chris Morris fans may also enjoy the bit at the beginning where the anchor asks for a single word answer, yes, no or maybe.

greencalx

Yes I did see that and was amused by Gethins' response.

Funcrusher

Reading the live coverage of Corbyn's speech in which he absolutely smashes it, laying out exactly the ills that beset our country and how a Labour government will fix them and improve the lives of millions of ordinary people. A Guardian key take away, Corbs having promised a second referendum with remain as option - 'Corbyn refuses to commit to backing remain in second referendum'.

jobotic

Same here - was a great speech.

Rizla

Watched the whole thing as it went out live on BBC2 news, including most of the press questions. Pretty good, right?  When did the beeb last give him 40+ uninterrupted minutes like that?

Cuellar

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on August 18, 2019, 08:54:17 PM
I see Zet has helped out here. Chris Morris fans may also enjoy the bit at the beginning where the anchor asks for a single word answer, yes, no or maybe.

Haha Chuka going full Soviet Union KGB guy in Chernobyl there: 'why waste time worrying about something that is never going to happen?'

jobotic

Looks like The Guardian published an article slagging the speech off for being "too tribal" before he'd even delivered it.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: jobotic on August 19, 2019, 12:25:13 PM
Looks like The Guardian published an article slagging the speech off for being "too tribal" before he'd even delivered it.

This one?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/19/jeremy-corbyn-nation-saviour-speech-labour-no-deal

QuoteThe Labour leader should recognise that he is in large part responsible for this crisis, by refusing to support Theresa May's sensible withdrawal agreement. He voted against it even when such a vote was certain to lead to precisely the no deal he now claims to oppose. His motive then was not the national interest but to bring down May. He succeeded.

honeychile

The speech was good, but the off the cuff responses to the journos questions were better. How a guy of his age has the energy to be so on the ball in almost permanent campaign mode i have no idea.

I liked what seemed like new lines about Labour having won the argument over police numbers and austerity, proving it was only ever ideological. That's a good stake to start hammering into Johnson.

There were a couple of sly reminders about the Lib Dems facilitating austerity too which are particularly timely and will hopefully remind anyone wavering between Labour and Lib Dem what unreliable cunts they are.

I don't know if Labour feel like Corbyn can't get away with saying he'd vote remain? Insofar as, if he commits to saying it now, it would make it look like any Labour-negotiated leave option had been deliberately engineered to produce a remain vote, so they want to avoid inflaming leave voters by being seen to stitch-up any referendum? As Corbyn said, the leave option on any referendum should be "credible".

Once the terms of a referendum have been finalised he could he say that he would vote remain in a personal capacity. Until we get there, having McDonnell and everyone else saying they'd vote remain drives home that Labour is a remain party. I don't know why any remain voter would give a rat's ass how Corbyn would vote anyway - the important thing is that voting Labour would give you the chance to vote remain. Corbyn's individual vote would have no bearing on that.

That's what so ridiculous about people saying Corbyn is too "divisive" to lead an interim government. The only unity required is the unity to bring down the Johnson government and get an extension, then secure a second referendum. At the moment it seems like the reason the Tory rebels say he's too divisive is that he can't bring in the Lib Dems, and the reason the Lib Dems say he's too divisive is he can't bring in the Tories. They should be asked exactly what it is about Corbyn's very limited proposal that they find so unbearable, and asked if the other skeptics were on board would you support it? That would make clear that Corbyn is not the one standing in the way of progress here.

Harriet Harman has been one name floated as a potential leader for an interim government, if she had any sense she'd come out and say Corbyn's offer is perfectly reasonable.

holyzombiejesus

I get the impression that Labour, and McDonnell in particular, have been working on the forthcoming manifesto for a while now. I know I went to a Momentum even back in the spring and they had an economist speaking who stated that J McD had been in discussions with other economists and money people for a while. It'll be hard to trump the impact that the last manifesto had - it still seems bizarre that people felt so thrilled by one of those dreary pamphlets that parties produce before each election - but I'd hope that the next one would be far more detailed and able to stand up  to the predictable heckles of 'magic money tree'. On the other hand, it seems that the tories are in disarray and are only starting to look at policies now.

Cuellar

You'd think the amount of money getting sloshed around on Brexit would put paid to any 'magic money tree lol' jibes

holyzombiejesus

You'd think so. The DUP pay-off too. But it won't stick with that lot.

BritishHobo

Looking at that shit Guardian article - why do people keep using 'all Corbyn wants is a general election!!!!' line like it's some brilliant criticism. Of course he fucking does; he's the leader of the opposition. He can't anything without one. He gets slagged off for supposedly being a backbencher at heart- people saying he wants to stay on the sidelines and snipe because there's less risk - and then he gets slagged off for actually wanting to gain office to make changes.

All these people criticising him because Brexit should be the only issue - how do they expect him to achieve anything in opposition? JK Rowling's right in one respect to say Corbyn isn't Dumbledore - he can't fucking do magic.

greencalx

I'm feeling a lot of the same frustrations as those expressed here.

Corbyn: "I'll do anything to stop a no-deal Brexit"
Everyone else: "Apart from stand aside to let someone else lead a temporary government"

Would Jo Swinson step down for national unity if Corbyn asked her to? Of course she fucking wouldn't.