Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:38:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Corbyn 24: OUR party, people!

Started by Johnny Yesno, July 02, 2019, 10:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

honeychile

I'm counting down the days til the Lib Dems change their preferred policy from holding a final referendum to just revoking Article 50. Then they can refuse to work with Corbyn because "by holding another referendum there is still the risk we might leave, only revoking Article 50 will protect our country, and it's deeply irresponsible for Jeremy Corbyn to risk another leave vote".

I'm a little surprised we haven't heard the SNP and PC being more vocally pro-Corbyn on this. They have nothing to lose, and can present themselves as the uber-pragmatists in Scotland and Wales who will vigorously defend having the chance to remain without looking for party political gain. In so doing wouldn't they also be putting the electoral squeeze on the Lib Dems (think the SNP lost three seats to the Lib Dems at the last election)?

idunnosomename

Thing is I'm not going to deny Corbyn getting the caretaker position would be a great coup for his credibility and chances in a GE.

But also, he is literally the only person who can act as leader of a caretaker government with any sort of precedent, the FBPE QC crew should know that, wait but they just keeping coming up with their fantasy football cabinet of Great Uncle Bulgaria, the Downing Street Cat, Dame Barbara Windsor and the Doctor Who theme tune

Cuellar

Quote from: pancreas on August 20, 2019, 04:17:30 PM
He'd be PM *for a month*. No matter how deep the vested interests go, this is sheer madness.

Ahh yes but once he had his foot in the door there's no saying by what trickery he would manage to cling to power for 20 years.

BlodwynPig

Is QC on twitter another Esq or are they genuinely cunt barristers?

jobotic

Quote from: Cuellar on August 20, 2019, 05:02:40 PM
Ahh yes but once he had his foot in the door there's no saying by what trickery he would manage to cling to power for 20 years.

Perhaps he could porogue parliament on Seamus Milne's direction?

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 20, 2019, 01:25:36 PM
she's like a politician version of this sort of blue-tick cunt:

https://twitter.com/davidschneider/status/1163571558142685185

how many times has Jeremy publicly stated in the past month that Labour would have a second referendum and he would campaign for remain? Is Schneider being willfully ignorant? Like, really, does he just outright lie?

If you want to boil your piss, have a look at Matt Fordes twitter feed. Fucking hell, what a dumpy cunt.

idunnosomename

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 20, 2019, 05:03:36 PM
Is QC on twitter another Esq or are they genuinely cunt barristers?
I mean like Jolyon Maugham QC who is indeed a barrister. I mean esq. is also genuinely a polite thing to put when there's no other title so they're not frauds really. Well except the women I suppose.

The big fake twitter thing was putting ecclesiastical titles (Rev. up to hyperbole like Bishop) to attack the BBC getting a fraud Brexiteer loony (who happened to be a minister in some minor dissenting church) on newsnight obsentibly as an Anglican priest. But that seems to have gone away. like halloween names.

TrenterPercenter

I just still can't see how this works for the Lib Dems.

Lib Dems refuse to back Corbyn
Corbyn refuses to back the Lib Dems.

The Lib Dems have fired first. This was silly they could have kept it on the down low and then said Corbyn was just too difficult to work with, however they have incriminated themselves from the start.  It seems quite evident this was a mistake by how the backlash seems to be taking them by suprise and Swinson has almost instantly alienated herself from her some of her party and voters.

Corbyn could still just turn around and say OK i cant believe how petty you are I will stand aside as a No Deal would  be catastrophic for the UK, he would still come out well (though of course the usual people will say he was weak for capitulating, what if it was Putin eh?)

It is a very good position to be in and really well maneuvered.

idunnosomename

well who cares, we need rid of the lib dems, they are rats in the cellar in the fight against the tory menace

idunnosomename

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on August 20, 2019, 05:49:00 PM
If you want to boil your piss, have a look at Matt Fordes twitter feed. Fucking hell, what a dumpy cunt.
i've seen him but christ he seems like a tory first and a comedian second

Cuellar

Hey here's a fun little one liner:

Remainers: We must at least stop No Deal Brexit
Corbyn: Join with me then to stop No Deal Brexit
Remainers: no

!!!

pancreas

Actually it's

Remainers: no, u smell

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteCorbyn could still just turn around and say OK i cant believe how petty you are I will stand aside as a No Deal would  be catastrophic for the UK, he would still come out well (though of course the usual people will say he was weak for capitulating, what if it was Putin eh?)

If he did this he would

A) fail to lead and end up as a sideshow in the UKs crucial moment
B) give opportunity to let the Labour right take over the party

Nothing Corbyn does will ever be good enough for these people. They just retreat to the next bunker, then the next, them the next. This is no basis for an appeasement strategy.

Corbyn is in the position of power. They know it, they hate it.

I cannot think of an alternative to Corbyn's plan which the Lib Dems can actually achieve. Even dragging Brexit through the courts is highly unlikely given that move would politicise the judiciary and reignite the Leave camp which is ailing badly right now.

Time will get on and the Lib Dems will have to jump on board or slide back into the abyss of irrelevance. Capitulation is their signature move. Corbyn should absolutely hang them out to dry because he is the one who has put forward a plan. For them to be so violently uncooperative yet call the opposition leader divisive is a joke. And the public and media seem to think so too.

peanutbutter

I wasn't paying attention tbh but how does Swinson get the leadership? From what I've seen she's a fairly charmless individual with a bad track record?

Was it just viewed as her turn for the role or something?

NoSleep

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 20, 2019, 08:46:59 PM
If he did this he would

A) fail to lead and end up as a sideshow in the UKs crucial moment
B) give opportunity to let the Labour right take over the party

Nothing Corbyn does will ever be good enough for these people. They just retreat to the next bunker, then the next, them the next. This is no basis for an appeasement strategy.

Corbyn is in the position of power. They know it, they hate it.

I cannot think of an alternative to Corbyn's plan which the Lib Dems can actually achieve. Even dragging Brexit through the courts is highly unlikely given that move would politicise the judiciary and reignite the Leave camp which is ailing badly right now.

Time will get on and the Lib Dems will have to jump on board or slide back into the abyss of irrelevance. Capitulation is their signature move. Corbyn should absolutely hang them out to dry because he is the one who has put forward a plan. For them to be so violently uncooperative yet call the opposition leader divisive is a joke. And the public and media seem to think so too.

Agree with most of this, although i'm obviously not suggesting appeasement just that even the requested position of the Lib Dems is still better for Corbyn than them.

I don't see how point b) could actually happen the right-wing of the party resembles about 15-20 Blairites, the NEC is broadly left-wing and the members would vote Corbyn back in over any right-wing candidate.

pigamus

Quote from: peanutbutter on August 20, 2019, 09:05:40 PM
I wasn't paying attention tbh but how does Swinson get the leadership? From what I've seen she's a fairly charmless individual with a bad track record?

Received wisdom says you have to be an MP. And also not a bloke. Which narrowed down their options a bit, because they've only got 12 MPs.

honeychile

In non-brexit related affairs for a minute, you may remember last year Labour produced a tranche of new animal rights proposals (in case you don't remember: enshrining the principal of animal sentience in law, ending the government's culling of badgers, introducing mandatory CCTV in all slaughterhouses, mandatory labelling of method of production and slaughter for all domestic and imported meat, the creation of post-Brexit farm subsidies to discourage factory farming, and a total ban on imports of foie gras).

I said at the time, at the last general election the fox-hunting and elephant ivory issues were completely toxic for the tories and my own anecdotal evidence backed that up, i met people who said they'd normally vote Tory but couldn't because of that stuff. So hammering out animal rights stuff seems to be a good tack. It's been barely mentioned with all the brexit kerfuffle of the last few days but Labour have also now proposed a ban on keeping primates as pets:

QuoteShadow environment minister Luke Pollard said: "It is astonishing that it is still entirely legal to keep primates as pets, regardless of how endangered or dangerous the animal is.

"Anyone can browse the internet and buy a primate with little or no checks and inspections.

"Labour will ban people from keeping pet primates as part of our plans to bring Britain's animal welfare laws into the 21st century."

An RSPCA spokeswoman told the Star: "The RSPCA has been calling for a complete ban on the keeping and trade of primates as pets, so we would welcome any policy which aims to achieve that.

"We don't believe that primates should be kept as pets because their needs simply cannot be met in a domestic environment.

"They are intelligent, sentient and highly social animals with complex needs."

Check out the RSPCA endorsement. That's pretty good. Same for all the previously mentioned proposals too:

QuoteCompassion in World Farming's campaigns director Emma Slawinski said the draft could signal "the beginning of the end of cruel factory farming."

She added: "We are thrilled by this announcement from the Labour Party, which would revolutionise conditions for British farm animals."

Cruelty Free International's Michelle Thew said: "We wholeheartedly welcome the proposals in the animal-welfare strategy announced today by Labour.

"We believe this is the very start of a journey that will finally put a stop to needless animal experiments in the UK."

Get these proposals and the enthusiastic responses from animal welfare groups blazoned far and wide peeps. Brits have a disappointingly low regard for the rights of humans, but they lap this stuff up.

idunnosomename

Quote from: peanutbutter on August 20, 2019, 09:05:40 PM

http://viz.co.uk/2014/10/30/vinces-cable/

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Aside of the fact they are all good policies, strategically, building non-party political alliances is a major way of cutting through to voters who are not seduced by direct party political advertising or interested in that side of things.

Outside of the areas covered by the trade union movement, can anyone think of some good policies to reinforce Labour's working class 'desperation leaver' support? Not necessarily big ones, it could be (for example) safe standing at football clubs + reforming ownership of clubs to give a 50% share to supporters etc. Increasing the right of local communities to preserve local assets from property developers. A commitment to subsidise heavy industry during difficult trading periods. Opportunities for kids from deprived schools, stuff like that.

KennyMonster

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on August 20, 2019, 05:49:00 PM

Just seen him in Edinburgh a couples of hours ago, after having a go at BoJo and No Deal for 20 minutes he, for balance I guess, lied about Jeremy Corbin for 10 minutes.

Did you know for instance that Corbyn never campaigned for remain and wanted brexit?
Is literally a racist.
Everyone in Labour is now racistbecause they don't like Zinionism, which is the same as not liking Jews?

I would've heckled correcting him but it would've made the person who bought me the ticket feel bad.

Matt Ford's, I KNOW you lied about Corbynn so now I don't trust what you've said about Trump and BoJo.

That is the effect of your 60 minutes is smears-with-impressions you smug Blairite, Proud the Iraq war happened, lying CUNT.

3 stars.

greenman

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 20, 2019, 09:59:00 PM
Aside of the fact they are all good policies, strategically, building non-party political alliances is a major way of cutting through to voters who are not seduced by direct party political advertising or interested in that side of things.

Outside of the areas covered by the trade union movement, can anyone think of some good policies to reinforce Labour's working class 'desperation leaver' support? Not necessarily big ones, it could be (for example) safe standing at football clubs + reforming ownership of clubs to give a 50% share to supporters etc. Increasing the right of local communities to preserve local assets from property developers. A commitment to subsidise heavy industry during difficult trading periods. Opportunities for kids from deprived schools, stuff like that.

I think by far the best idea here would be a very straight forward approach to Labour's improved employment standards layed out honestly and directly.

Big posters saying "Under Labour you earn £10 an hour and Zero Hours contracts are over", simple, honest and lacking in distrusted PR language and easy to manipulate figures.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: KennyMonster on August 20, 2019, 11:50:50 PM
Just seen him in Edinburgh a couples of hours ago, after having a go at BoJo and No Deal for 20 minutes he, for balance I guess, lied about Jeremy Corbin for 10 minutes.

Did you know for instance that Corbyn never campaigned for remain and wanted brexit?
Is literally a racist.
Everyone in Labour is now racistbecause they don't like Zinionism, which is the same as not liking Jews?

I would've heckled correcting him but it would've made the person who bought me the ticket feel bad.

Matt Ford's, I KNOW you lied about Corbynn so now I don't trust what you've said about Trump and BoJo.

That is the effect of your 60 minutes is smears-with-impressions you smug Blairite, Proud the Iraq war happened, lying CUNT.

3 stars.

Did any cunt heckle or was it just gentle titters from the bovine masses?

Zetetic

Quote from: greenman on August 21, 2019, 06:24:24 AM
Big posters saying "Under Labour you earn £10 an hour and Zero Hours contracts are over", simple, honest and lacking in distrusted PR language and easy to manipulate figures.
Pro-youth, pro-immigrant, pro-city.

KennyMonster

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 21, 2019, 07:24:41 AM
Did any cunt heckle or was it just gentle titters from the bovine masses?

I was in the minority, plenty laughed along, I think we can put MFo in the Clever stuff forGlorified Cattle thread.

One Scot tried to heckle, it sounded like his slagging of the SNPs ideas of a new currency post independence was wrong in the same headline grabbing way.

Paul Calf

Is there anything about the Fringe that wouldn't be improved by about 80% of the 'artists' there shutting the fuck up and fucking off back to London?

Johnny Yesno

jobotic

Quote from: honeychile on August 20, 2019, 09:48:47 PM
In non-brexit related affairs for a minute, you may remember last year Labour produced a tranche of new animal rights proposals (in case you don't remember: enshrining the principal of animal sentience in law, ending the government's culling of badgers, introducing mandatory CCTV in all slaughterhouses, mandatory labelling of method of production and slaughter for all domestic and imported meat, the creation of post-Brexit farm subsidies to discourage factory farming, and a total ban on imports of foie gras).

I said at the time, at the last general election the fox-hunting and elephant ivory issues were completely toxic for the tories and my own anecdotal evidence backed that up, i met people who said they'd normally vote Tory but couldn't because of that stuff. So hammering out animal rights stuff seems to be a good tack. It's been barely mentioned with all the brexit kerfuffle of the last few days but Labour have also now proposed a ban on keeping primates as pets:

Check out the RSPCA endorsement. That's pretty good. Same for all the previously mentioned proposals too:

Get these proposals and the enthusiastic responses from animal welfare groups blazoned far and wide peeps. Brits have a disappointingly low regard for the rights of humans, but they lap this stuff up.

Related news

https://leftfootforward.org/2019/08/leader-of-controversial-fox-hunting-group-paid-for-boris-johnsons-helicopter/?fbclid=IwAR0GSTtzHMkX7vjNmwh_rotIkpEj4VIcuDSJpyOkei_i4hH39DplWNFJq4Q