Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:21:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Corbyn 24: OUR party, people!

Started by Johnny Yesno, July 02, 2019, 10:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

Quote from: Replies From View on September 10, 2019, 06:19:55 PM
Have people talked here about Labour Party Ballots Summer 2019 yet?  I've just received an email telling me I have to vote by the end of 12th September; I'm sure it's the first I've heard of it, though.

Anyone else?  Got any suggestions regarding who I should vote for?

Me too. Same question.

Cardenio I

Quote from: monkfromhavana on September 10, 2019, 04:38:24 PM
They'd probably love a muscled leader, naked from the waist up, riding a big horse.

Odds slashed on Chiron to be next PM

lipsink

Yeah I got the same email just now too. First I've heard of it.

Pseudopath

That's weird. I got an email on July 29 about it. Seema and Billy are the pro-Corbyn choices by the way.

Replies From View

Quote from: Pseudopath on September 10, 2019, 09:41:56 PM
That's weird. I got an email on July 29 about it. Seema and Billy are the pro-Corbyn choices by the way.

Thanks; done.

imitationleather

I wonder how many times they have used that exact headline by now.

olliebean

How the fuck have so many workers been convinced over the past few decades that it's a bad thing for workers to have rights?

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: olliebean on September 10, 2019, 10:24:37 PM
How the fuck have so many workers been convinced over the past few decades that it's a bad thing for workers to have rights?

By an incredible amount of overt and covert propaganda. 

Buelligan

But surely the one about wages going up again.   Has there been a decade of Austerity or did I dream it?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Globalisation

If they have rights all businesses will leave!

The same reason we don't have unilateral disarmament of nuclear weapons.

Zetetic

There's going to have to be some concessions.

Leo2112

Tom Watson gonna Tom Watson

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49657006

QuoteLabour must prioritise reversing Brexit through another referendum, over winning power in a general election, its deputy leader Tom Watson is to say.

He will warn that a snap election before the end of the year may fail to resolve the current deadlock.

Putting himself at odds with Jeremy Corbyn, he will say there is "no such thing as a good Brexit deal" and Labour must campaign unequivocally to remain.

Mr Corbyn has said Labour must offer voters both Leave and Remain options.

Following meetings with trade union leaders on Tuesday, Labour's leader promised a further referendum on Brexit with a "credible Leave option" versus Remain if his party wins the next general election.

Its election manifesto will promise to reach a better Brexit deal, but is not expected to commit to either Leave or Remain.

Mark Serwotka, the general secretary of the PCS union, said this was the "only common sense" position and the binary choice on offer in a referendum was a "huge gamble" which risked "perpetuating" existing political divisions.

"I think Tom Watson's intervention is irresponsible and not what Labour communities need," he told BBC's Newsnight.

gib

someone needs to ask him why he hasn't joined the Libs

Paul Calf

I was talking to my sister the other day. She's been working for one of the privatised social care service things (sorry Zet, I don't really understand this stuff :) ) for years and was recently made to reapply for her job. Because she's on a new contract, she's got less than two years' service and so effectively has no rights.

A couple of weeks ago, she was told that she'd been working without a contract over the summer because they've retrospectively decided that her contract was invalid (I've tried to understand the details but a lot of this information was conveyed second-hand so it's difficult) and that they don't have to pay her for six weeks of work that she's done. I suggested she join a union but she's worried she'll get the sack if she does.

She's still voting Tory at the next election.

BlodwynPig

Sorry to hear that Paul

Ps. That Daily Mail front page is so outdated ... kiwi fruit as a superfood AGAIN, get with the fucking times you smug paedos

Replies From View

Quote from: gib on September 11, 2019, 12:20:18 AM
someone needs to ask him why he hasn't joined the Libs

Someone needs to ask him why he doesn't just talk to the leader of the party he is DEPUTY LEADER of.

Replies From View

Quote from: Paul Calf on September 11, 2019, 05:00:31 AM
I was talking to my sister the other day. She's been working for one of the privatised social care service things (sorry Zet, I don't really understand this stuff :) ) for years and was recently made to reapply for her job. Because she's on a new contract, she's got less than two years' service and so effectively has no rights.

A couple of weeks ago, she was told that she'd been working without a contract over the summer because they've retrospectively decided that her contract was invalid (I've tried to understand the details but a lot of this information was conveyed second-hand so it's difficult) and that they don't have to pay her for six weeks of work that she's done. I suggested she join a union but she's worried she'll get the sack if she does.

Fuck's sake.  This is a tragic situation in itself but the final sentence is gutting.

Replies From View

Paul can't you help your sister to understand why the Tories are to blame for her situation?

rue the polywhirl

She won't be voting Tories at the next election because you'll persuade her why she should for Labour instead. Either that or you lock her in a cupboard and select Labour on her postal vote.

Zetetic

one of the privatised social care service things (sorry Zet, I don't really understand this stuff :) )
If it's any consolation, social care is a complete mystery to me too (along with where the line is between health and social when it comes to the NHS paying to get people out of hospital...).

Our health minister, Vaughan Gething describes Labour's position as "Utter BS." and that Labour "will deserve all the ridicule we get".

I'd quite like him to go soon.

pancreas

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on September 11, 2019, 08:14:36 AM
She won't be voting Tories at the next election because you'll persuade her why she should for Labour instead. Either that or you lock her in a cupboard and select Labour on her postal vote.

^

Paul Calf

Quote from: Replies From View on September 11, 2019, 08:08:52 AM
Paul can't you help your sister to understand why the Tories are to blame for her situation?

I've tried, for decades. My whole family is dyed-in-the-wool working class Tory and there really is no arguing with them about this. I'm the wrong person to try tbh because they've already decided that everything I think is entirely irrelevant to their lives. Someone else might have a better chance.

This is, you might have guessed, why I'm quite fatalistic about this sort of thing. There are vast, vast numbers of people in this country whose lives would be improved immeasurably by a proper Labour government, but who are implacably opposed to voting Labour. I've seen them. I grew up with them.

holyzombiejesus

Just looking at Tom Watson's constituency and he's already got George Galloway and, bizarrely, Harvey "rentboy" Proctor up against him at the next election. Can't see him losing his seat though.

Paul Calf

Buelligan

I think they're hoping she's stupid.  My understanding of British employment law indicates, to me at least, that an employee does not need a written contract in order for the employer to have a contract in law with (and so be obliged to pay) the employee (an unwritten contract is referred to as an implied contract).  Even if that was not correct, writing the contract is normally the responsibility of the employer.  Therefore, if the contract is faulty in any way, that is also the responsibility of the employer (and the employee should not lose earnings as a result).  If you can't get her to join a union, at least point her towards ACAS. 

https://beta.acas.org.uk/what-an-employment-contract-is

They may be a gateway to a revolution for her.  Information often is.

Replies From View

Maybe you could convince her that a government of Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage would be a sexist one that no woman in her right mind should vote for?

I mean if she's resolutely opposed to voting Labour the least she could do is not vote at all.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Buelligan on September 11, 2019, 10:59:02 AM
I think they're hoping she's stupid.  My understanding of British employment law indicates, to me at least, that an employee does not need a written contract in order for the employer to have a contract in law with (and so be obliged to pay) the employee (an unwritten contract is referred to as an implied contract).  Even if that was not correct, writing the contract is normally the responsibility of the employer.  Therefore, if the contract is faulty in any way, that is also the responsibility of the employer (and the employee should not lose earnings as a result).  If you can't get her to join a union, at least point her towards ACAS. 

https://beta.acas.org.uk/what-an-employment-contract-is

I told her this. The thing is, until she's been there for two years, they can just find an excuse to can her if she kicks up a fuss.

Buelligan

I don't think that is correct.  Obviously I don't know her circumstances but you said she'd worked for them for a great deal longer than that but been obliged to reapply for her own job.  This was fed to her as a new contract, the implication being that her previous rights were nullified.  Check the ACAS site, I'm rusty here (and probably out of date) but unless there was a break in service between the two contracts, I'm pretty certain they count as unbroken service (which would therefore return all her rights and protections).  Similarly if she was TUPEd.  I urge you to check this with ACAS, just do a bit of reading.

I would add that it's surprising how many employees trust the word and authority of their employers without question (and how many employers are ignorant of the law or dishonest).  Check it.

EtA  Thinking about it, seriously, check it.  This bullshit about the contract over the summer being wrong and so them not being obliged to pay her may be a way of forcing a break in service onto her record, making it possible for them to fuck her off (because they, perhaps now, realise that their forcing her to reapply did not break her service).  They may be simply trying to do that, they may also be worried about the business and looking to redundancy costs, if she's actually been with them for some time, that could amount to a significant sum which they're trying to avoid liability for.  PLEASE CHECK THIS OUT.