Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 05:27:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Corbyn 24: OUR party, people!

Started by Johnny Yesno, July 02, 2019, 10:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

Quote from: Paul Calf on September 12, 2019, 07:38:43 AM
I have. I get the impression that there's a lot of bullying and exploitation there though. Is this what care work is like these days?

I think that's what work is like for a lot of low paid low skilled workers.  No names, no pack drill, as they used to say but as you probably realise, I'm the lowest of the low in terms of work status.  However, I did stand up to my employers last year, very firmly and alone (it's a small company), spent quite a few months working to rule and I appear, finally, to have broken their will, they are now treating me and paying me, correctly.  And our relationship is actually far better.  Never give up.  Get her to join a union.

Paul Calf

She's also - as a proper Thatcherite Tory - instinctively opposed to unions. it's an uphill battle.

Buelligan

Yes, I understand that.  You need to sell it to her like insurance, sell it on the basis of sensible precaution because employers don't always know their law etc.  Forget converting her to the cause of solidarity.  Self interest may open the door but once she's inside, if the welcome is warm and she sees the not only the benefits but the humanity of the other occupants, you may have achieved more than just saving her some worry at work. 

NoSleep

Everything decent in the standard of life for ordinary people had to be wrested from the hands of the ruling elite. They don't voluntarily proffer to us anything, so solidarity is an essential, whether it's had bad publicity this week or not.

Buelligan

Oh yes indeed, I completely and ureservedly agree.

Unfortunately though, for some, words like solidarity are magic words that do the opposite of open sesame.  The ears and minds close and the backs go up.  IMO, these people need to be rescued in small gentle increments, without any dangerous words, so's they don't even notice what just happened to them.  It's like getting kids to eat their veg.

NoSleep

Ironic that people that harp on (or perhaps just swallow the shit) about the power of unions are firmly behind WMDs and the military as deterrents.

Gamma Ray

Alexi Sayle slayin' it on R4 ...

idunnosomename

aye good that was. balance it out tomorrow with some hack guest host reading out some magic grandpa gags.

gib

yeah that was pretty good, breath of fresh air really

greencalx

gib

Quote from: greencalx on September 13, 2019, 07:44:19 AM
What did he say?

He has a customer comes in who is represented by Hitler speeches. When he leaves, Sayle says 'That was Jeremy Corbyn' and people laugh like they would at the usual 6:30 shitshow. Then he adds, shouting, 'if you believe the mainstream media portrait of him!' and goes on to explain his thoughts unapologetically. The actual stand up bits are not bad at all too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0008bbc

phantom_power

I was going to listen to that last night but was worried that it would tow the media line and make me disappointed in him like with Armando et al. Glad this doesn't seem to be the case

Dr Rock

Quote from: Paul Calf on September 12, 2019, 09:19:55 AM
She's also - as a proper Thatcherite Tory - instinctively opposed to unions. it's an uphill battle unwinnable battle.

Lock her in a cupboard on voting day.

Absorb the anus burn

I thought Alexi pitched that brilliantly: "... the worldwide global crisis being caused by people in Wolverhampton wanting too many libraries....." was a big lol, but belly-laughs paled in comparison to the points being made - he said things you never hear on the BBC anymore.

Brilliant.

NoSleep

Green christmas tree on his file, then.

Buelligan

I so desperately wish they wouldn't put laughter tracks on these things, it's so jarring.  Imagine if they put applause tracks or booing ones on speeches.  Weird.

If it's real laughter, I urge Sayle to stop allowing robots into his shows.

gib

Quote from: Buelligan on September 13, 2019, 11:53:15 AM
I so desperately wish they wouldn't put laughter tracks on these things, it's so jarring.  Imagine if they put applause tracks or booing ones on speeches.  Weird.

If it's real laughter, I urge Sayle to stop allowing robots into his shows.

It'll be real. Radio 4 let a number people in to be the studio audience and see these things get recorded, or at least they always used to.

NoSleep

I wouldn't be surprised if the live audience gets supplemented with some robots if the producer decides so. It's a good reason to do as Stewart Lee does and comment on the audience reaction at regular intervals to prevent this.

kalowski

Quote from: gib on September 13, 2019, 08:08:11 AM
He has a customer comes in who is represented by Hitler speeches. When he leaves, Sayle says 'That was Jeremy Corbyn' and people laugh like they would at the usual 6:30 shitshow. Then he adds, shouting, 'if you believe the mainstream media portrait of him!' and goes on to explain his thoughts unapologetically. The actual stand up bits are not bad at all too.

It was great and I nearly crashed the car listening to it this morning.

greencalx

Thanks for the tip-off - had assumed it was just a couple of minutes on some Now Show type bollocks. But a  half hour show (kind of) devoted to this topic. Good stuff.

And a nice line about Miliband D...

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: gib on September 13, 2019, 08:08:11 AM

D'Oh! Series three. I'm sure I favourited series one. Bloody useless BBC Sounds. Thanks for being more reliable with this headsup, gib.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Paul Calf on September 12, 2019, 07:38:43 AM
I have. I get the impression that there's a lot of bullying and exploitation there though. Is this what care work is like these days?

It seems that it is, yes. To me, the care industry serves as an exemplar of our nonsensical view of the value of work.

QuoteIn his book, Bregman contrasts the 1968 sanitation worker strike in New York City — which resulted in 10,000 tonnes of garbage piling up on the streets every day until authorities were forced to declare a state of emergency — with Ireland's bank employee strike two years later.

"That lasted for six months and nothing much happened," he said. "The economy kept growing, and after six months the bankers came back and said, 'OK, we'll get back to work.'"

Bregman argues we need to "rethink what work is" and who the actual wealth creators are. "We really still rely on nurses, teachers, garbage collectors, jobs that are incredibly important," he said.

"Most of the jobs done by women, mostly unpaid — caring for kids, the elderly, volunteers, community workers. There is a huge amount of work being done in offices that is useless or even worse, destructive.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/at-work/too-many-bullst-jobs-dutch-author-rutger-bregman-says-we-need-a-15hour-work-week/news-story/f1669b5200a80ccc76e16bad91ea9259

It is saddening that many of the people who are exploited can't see who the real villains are.

gib

Quote from: greencalx on September 13, 2019, 08:16:29 PMAnd a nice line about Miliband D...

Yes, that was a proper laugh out loud gag.

peanutbutter

Saw a person on a Guardian thread on Facebook criticising Corbyn as being a big IRA fanboy was promoted as a "Top Fan", had a bit of a trawl and they were generally a pro-Farage account with little else to say but the sheer level of focus they had placed on the Guardian must've given them this title and was seemingly pushing their post to the top replies on posts.
On their profile and they had 5 friends, 2 of which were deactivated.

How on earth does Facebook's algorithm not factor in that someone with <10 friends is highly unlikely to have anything of merit to say. Seems so easy?
1. require a minimum of say 20 friends before you really consider them for major posts
2. cross reference the data across their friends to see if there's any kind of connection which actually makes sense. If yes, are there any fishy signs across the friends that they're trying to game the system
3. if 2 returns a low success rate, they're likely trying to game the system so fuck em

Buelligan

Did I ever mention, I've never been on Facebook and I will never ever go on it or read anything on it at all, ever?

pancreas

Quote from: Buelligan on September 15, 2019, 10:23:11 PM
Did I ever mention, I've never been on Facebook and I will never ever go on it or read anything on it at all, ever?

No, you never did. Please, please tell us about how you've never been on Facebook and you will never ever go on it or read anything on it at all, ever.

king_tubby

Buelligan

Quote from: pancreas on September 15, 2019, 10:27:44 PM
No, you never did. Please, please tell us about how you've never been on Facebook and you will never ever go on it or read anything on it at all, ever.

Well, I never have gone on Facebook.  What's more, I never, ever, will.  Ever.   

I know this means my comments will never achieve any sort of status there, I'll never get to post something there and it be considered so much as a minor post by anyone at all.  And I don't even care.  Completely sanguine.  Relaxed. 

In fact, this moment is the first time and the last time I will ever even consider it.