Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,191
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 02:35:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Corbyn 24: OUR party, people!

Started by Johnny Yesno, July 02, 2019, 10:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pancreas

Quote from: Buelligan on September 15, 2019, 10:48:39 PM
Well, I never have gone on Facebook.  What's more, I never, ever, will.  Ever.   

I know this means my comments will never achieve any sort of status there, I'll never get to post something there and it be considered so much as a minor post by anyone at all.  And I don't even care.  Completely sanguine.  Relaxed. 

In fact, this moment is the first time and the last time I will ever even consider it.

👍1 😢2 ❤️1 😡134959

Sebastian Cobb

How do you know if someone's never been on facebook?

They tell you through some other form of internet social networking.

Buelligan

Yeah, I don't object to this stuff, I just point out that its relevance, its meaning or importance is only as big as its adherents.  It's like measuring the world against the boy scout pledge or whatever the fuck they have, fine and meaningful if you're a boy scout.

pancreas

Quote from: Buelligan on September 15, 2019, 11:30:43 PM
Yeah, I don't object to this stuff, I just point out that its relevance, its meaning or importance is only as big as its adherents.  It's like measuring the world against the boy scout pledge or whatever the fuck they have, fine and meaningful if you're a boy scout.

👍288k 😢201 ❤️1 😡10

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Buelligan on September 15, 2019, 11:30:43 PM

Have I ever told you I have never been a boy scout?

Buelligan

Yeah, me neither.  It's a twat's game.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 15, 2019, 11:01:19 PM
How do you know if someone's never been on facebook?

They tell you through some other form of internet social networking.

I have to say that that along with the complaints about people saying they "don't watch TV or X-Factor" this stuff is tedious in the main and also just reeks of somekind of desperate attempt to not feel embarrassed about their own life choices (regardless of it being true or not).

Never doing something is a statement of behaviour despite an absence behaviour, you are dangerously close to arguments like "why would atheists say they don't believe in god" or "why would vegetarians say they've never eaten meat"'

In short it is bollocks.  Someone has a different opinion to you, whether that opinion is right or wrong has nothing to do with you advertising your inferiority complex and sneering at them.

NoSleep

You're assuming a lot there, Trenter.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 16, 2019, 09:37:29 AM
I have to say that that along with the complaints about people saying they "don't watch TV or X-Factor" this stuff is tedious in the main and also just reeks of somekind of desperate attempt to not feel embarrassed about their own life choices (regardless of it being true or not).

Never doing something is a statement of behaviour despite an absence behaviour, you are dangerously close to arguments like "why would atheists say they don't believe in god" or "why would vegetarians say they've never eaten meat"'

In short it is bollocks.  Someone has a different opinion to you, whether that opinion is right or wrong has nothing to do with you advertising your inferiority complex and sneering at them.

This text, although coming from no doubt the right place smacks of hypocrisy.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: NoSleep on September 16, 2019, 09:43:05 AM
You're assuming a lot there, Trenter.

It is a broader point based on shitty logic that gets employed around these things, that is the real and present danger, as it creates the space for things that are potentially damaging and harmful to stand on a platform of "haters be hating".

The annoying hypocritical aspect of it though the is idea that whilst the we are meant to believe the person not doing x behaviour is doing so on their own virtuousness the person calling them out is absolved of any intention.

It is literally the kind of shite Piers Morgan comes out with yet some people seem to have a complete blind spot for this. 

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: BlodwynPig on September 16, 2019, 09:51:51 AM
This text, although coming from no doubt the right place smacks of hypocrisy.

Good.  Do as I say piggy not as I do.

#fairerkinderpolitics

NoSleep

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 16, 2019, 09:53:45 AM
It is a broader point based on shitty logic that gets employed around these things, that is the real and present danger, as it creates the space for things that are potentially damaging and harmful to stand on a platform of "haters be hating".

The annoying hypocritical aspect of it though the is idea that whilst the we are meant to believe the person not doing x behaviour is doing so on their own virtuousness the person calling them out is absolved of any intention.

It is literally the kind of shite Piers Morgan comes out with yet some people seem to have a complete blind spot for this. 

So you're saying Buellers has an inferiority complex and is sneering?

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: NoSleep on September 16, 2019, 09:56:16 AM
So you're saying Buellers has an inferiority complex and is sneering?

No, i'm saying literally the opposite. That someone is sneering at her for not doing something.

NoSleep

AH!!! Sorry. It wasn't too clear.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 16, 2019, 09:37:29 AM
I have to say that that along with the complaints about people saying they "don't watch TV or X-Factor" this stuff is tedious in the main and also just reeks of some kind of desperate attempt to not feel embarrassed about their own life choices (regardless of it being true or not).

Sorry yes should have stressed what I have put in bold a bit more.

lipsink

Rachel Riley was on Victoria Derbyshire's show complaining about 'trolls' and then she actually said the words: "I will call Jeremy Corbyn an anti-semite until my dying breath". It was interesting to see her squirm a little and try to laugh it off when she was confronted with her own trolling. Tweeting "Jeremy Corbyn is an anti-semite. Pass it on" is her 'reacting to trolls' rather than trolling apparently.

phantom_power

She is trending on Twitter and most of the results I have read have been condemning her and pointing out the irony of her talking about trolls.

idunnosomename

PROTECT ARE BRAVE BLUE TICK BOYS (AND GIRLS)

mr. logic

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 16, 2019, 09:58:12 AM
No, i'm saying literally the opposite. That someone is sneering at her for not doing something.

They're sneering at her for pompously announcing she doesn't do it. Nobody cares that she doesn't do it.

Buelligan

You're so fucking right, man.  I can only say, I signed up to FB today and I feel much better in my sex life and in my general life.  Salutary lesson there for us all.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: mr. logic on September 17, 2019, 01:29:54 PM
They're sneering at her for pompously announcing she doesn't do it. Nobody cares that she doesn't do it.

My point made for me. Deluded to your own blind spots.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on September 17, 2019, 01:38:25 PM
You're so fucking right, man.  I can only say, I signed up to FB today and I feel much better in my sex life and in my general life.  Salutary lesson there for us all.

*Poked*

bgmnts

Twitter is much worse than facebook anyway.

Buelligan

Not for me it isn't.  They're both psilent.  Just notional concepts, unborn foetuses, floating languidly out in space along with The Great British Bake Off, Stormfront and Tinder and a few others, I'll be honest.

Replies From View

Quote from: Buelligan on September 17, 2019, 03:43:07 PM
Not for me it isn't.  They're both psilent.  Just notional concepts, unborn foetuses, floating languidly out in space along with The Great British Bake Off, Stormfront and Tinder and a few others, I'll be honest.

Twitter is worse than facebook.  Facebook tells me about events, gigs, protests etc that I wouldn't know about otherwise.  Also it was when I joined facebook that I realised my friends were not 'not-inviting' me to various social gatherings, but just assumed all their friends were on facebook and were inadvertently leaving me out until I was too.  I'd absolutely agree that that's probably a shit state of affairs when friends do that, but at the same time I don't want to be a completely lonely fucker for my entire life and in this situation for me it was a case of if you can't beat them, join them.

Whereas Twitter is concentrated self-promotion and trolling by shrieking narcissists, and paid journalists go there to get a sense of 'the pulse of the people' or whatever media hack terminology they use now.  Fuck that shit.

Quote from: Replies From View on September 17, 2019, 04:46:41 PM
Twitter is worse than facebook.  Facebook tells me about events, gigs, protests etc that I wouldn't know about otherwise.  Also it was when I joined facebook that I realised my friends were not 'not-inviting' me to various social gatherings, but just assumed all their friends were on facebook and were inadvertently leaving me out until I was too.  I'd absolutely agree that that's probably a shit state of affairs when friends do that, but at the same time I don't want to be a completely lonely fucker for my entire life and in this situation for me it was a case of if you can't beat them, join them.

Whereas Twitter is concentrated self-promotion and trolling by shrieking narcissists, and paid journalists go there to get a sense of 'the pulse of the people' or whatever media hack terminology they use now.  Fuck that shit.

Yes, I have absolutely no desire to go on Twitter, but I do use Facebook to genuinely keep in touch with distant friends and relatives, and as you say, for general 'what's on?' type stuff, current affairs etc.

TrenterPercenter

Twitter is a toilet of vapid celebrities gasping for attention and journos playing drums for other people to march to.  Facebook is village noticeboard in which people occasionally put up things that raise an eyebrow but mainly people couldn't give a shit in bap about.  It encourages elitism, narcissism and bully but no doubt there are many things people feel are useful about it.  Both are mediums of mass communication and as such should be criticised constantly to keep them in check, they are not things we need to feel defensive over.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 17, 2019, 05:27:46 PM
CookdandBombd is a toilet of vapid celebrities gasping for attention and journos playing drums for other people to march to.  SOTCAA is village noticeboard in which people occasionally put up things that raise an eyebrow but mainly people couldn't give a shit in bap about.  It encourages elitism, narcissism and bully but no doubt there are many things people feel are useful about it.  Both are mediums of mass communication and as such should be criticised constantly to keep them in check, they are not things we need to feel defensive over.

Twed

Honestly you're all just shit at filtering and processing information.

"I don't use Twitter/can't use it effectively, now let me tell you all about how it works once per week until the end of time"