Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:38:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Corbyn 24: OUR party, people!

Started by Johnny Yesno, July 02, 2019, 10:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteReally? I've never heard anyone siscuss anti-semitism in the Labour party outside of my group of interested friends and family.

Even among Corbyn critics in my extended family this isn't discussed.

Just like Islamophobia, if you encourage the population to not give a fuck about people other than themselves and people like themselves then they won't.

holyzombiejesus

I wonder how many people think that the antisemitism is directed at individuals, like turning Jews away from pubs or shouting abuse at people coming out of synagogues rather than criticising a state.

Zetetic

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 10, 2019, 06:01:34 PM
Just like Islamophobia, if you encourage the population to not give a fuck about people other than themselves and people like themselves then they won't.

What I think it does do - unlike Islamophobia in the Conservative party, for example, or its cousins - is undermine the moral identity of the Labour Party.

pancreas

Yes, and specifically Corbyn. It also means that the extreme racism of the Tories and Brexit party are effectively nullified. 'Well, they're all at it, aren't they?'

jobotic

Yeah fair enough, I wasn't doubting any of you.

I know why it's done I just wonder how effective it is. And as I've said before, I have encountered a few examples of AS on local Labour Facebook pages but it has been challenged and shut down pretty quickly.

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: Replies From View on July 10, 2019, 05:59:21 PM
Yeah.  I can't easily support Labour at work now, for example, because all these smears make it so complicated.  It's a kind of taboo to vocally agree with Corbyn on anything.

Christ you must work with some proper dickheads, my poor fella.

ZoyzaSorris

(I think a large part of this extraordinary and unprecedented mass psychological operation we are seeing in action is designed to try and demoralise labour activists and supporters, by the way, in the hope they'll keep quiet and drift apart, textbook establishment tactics, so the main thing we we have to do to stick two fingers up is brush it off and carry on as normal).

ZoyzaSorris

I think the only cohort of the population who are properly swallowing this bilge are those who deep down desperately want to believe it, who were anti-Corbyn from the very start.

Crazy how that poll of tory members/islam views was in the news (well internet news dont know about TV) for a whole hour then swept away just because they're old and gammon and its expected. I'm all for Labour rooting out racists and being shamed when needed but a bit of equal standards/news space would be nice.

I think this panorama is gonna be brutal tonight tbh

pancreas

Momentum *for a change* actually seems to be sticking up for the party. (Which, when you consider Lansman's position on Labour AS is basically that of the Board of Deputies, is a minor miracle.) Watch the video on facebook. (Not available elsewhere, seemingly.) Basically, it's been made by an ex-Sun journalist with a vendetta against Corbyn and whose 2017 doc on him was found to be riddled with factual errors.

JVL et al. will be poring over this doc for factual errors, so I expect the BBC will have a fuck-ton of a complaints. Not sure if I want to watch it, to be honest.

pancreas

pancreas

Momentum video here:

https://twitter.com/PeoplesMomentum/status/1148846474761003009

There is a chance that this *might* be pulled before airing.

Wowww, that ex employee saying he felt like commiting suicide, addressing his resignation letter to Jennie Formby and jumping off her roof essentially putting the blame on her, what a disgusting thing to say

Replies From View

Quote from: StewartLeehaslethimselfgo on July 10, 2019, 10:02:46 PM
Wowww, that ex employee saying he felt like commiting suicide, addressing his resignation letter to Jennie Formby and jumping off her roof essentially putting the blame on her, what a disgusting thing to say

Nothing Danny Kendall wouldn't do.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on July 10, 2019, 08:04:10 PM
I think the only cohort of the population who are properly swallowing this bilge are those who deep down desperately want to believe it, who were anti-Corbyn from the very start.

My UK supervisor Prof seems to have swallowed it and he's a very honourable man and his arguments were not venomous. Dangerous times

BlodwynPig

Time to end the BBC. Disgusting filth. Worse than The Sun.

BlodwynPig

thugler

Coordinated attacks from the usual suspects within labour, not even entertaining the idea that it's again jumped up horse shit. Incredulous cunts.

olliebean

Quote from: Theresa MayLabour used to have a slogan, "Education, education, education." Now it is just, "Tax, tax, tax."

Not that I agree with what she was saying, but it annoys me to an unreasonable degree that she didn't say "Taxation, taxation, taxation." The woman has no poetry in her soul.

pigamus

Quote from: olliebean on July 11, 2019, 12:07:21 AM
Not that I agree with what she was saying, but it annoys me to an unreasonable degree that she didn't say "Taxation, taxation, taxation." The woman has no poetry in her soul.

Don't agree. It's punchier the way she said it.

olliebean

Quote from: pigamus on July 11, 2019, 12:12:35 AM
Don't agree. It's punchier the way she said it.

It might be punchier but it doesn't sound like "Education, education, education," which is the comparison she was going for.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: olliebean on July 11, 2019, 12:07:21 AM

Yes and Colonel Gaddafi could not lay down a bass hook.

colacentral

Armando Iannucci seems to mostly just retweet twats on Twitter: JP, James O'Brien, Baddiel, and so on. He's just retweeted Tom Watson saying he's "shocked," "appalled," and "chilled" by Panorama. How disappointing. I think things like that make me more angry than anything else: the realisation that a hero of yours, someone who tweets against austerity on a regular basis, is helping to prop up the system that caused it.

Absorb the anus burn

Iannucci: Telegraph-reading, centrist cunt.

KennyMonster

R4 headlines this morning start with quotes from Watson and Lord Falconer saying how shocked and dismayed they were about the program, the news reader then followed up with Labour's official statement that the show was politically biased and misrepresented the situation - and that was it, no examples or details were given, just a line saying Labour disagreed, the detail was for those who agreed with Panorama.

I haven't seen Panorama yet but it sounds like a complete misrepresentation judging by the this Labour have stated as being uncorrected and doctored evidence etc.
Jackie Walker was saying that the doc mentioned her meeting with someone who she'd never met before, didn't even know who this person talking about her was.

It sounds like there's a ton wrong with the documentary with lots of it just fabricated and I really worry the damage has been done and anti-Corbynites are having a field day and democracy is being throughly subverted.

Also recently (last Monday) the BBC Complaints upheld someone's complaint that Nick Robinson had misinformed everyone in his statement about Jackie Walker when using Chris Williamson's support of her as evidence that he was an anti semite, basically the complaints dept upholding the complaint meant that Robinson's portrayal of Williamson had nothing to back it up.

All very well and good except no retraction from Robinson and on the same day the compliant was upheld Emma Barnett on a 5Live show was repeating the same claims.

On top of this there is the selective choosing of which poll to report on, ic it shows Labour in the lead its not to be highlighted.

The damage has been done and they're getting away with it.

I can only hope that it turns out that no one's actually watching or listening anymore.

KennyMonster

Quote from: colacentral on July 11, 2019, 12:49:02 AM
Armando Iannucci seems to mostly just retweet twats on Twitter: JP, James O'Brien, Baddiel, and so on. He's just retweeted Tom Watson saying he's "shocked," "appalled," and "chilled" by Panorama. How disappointing. I think things like that make me more angry than anything else: the realisation that a hero of yours, someone who tweets against austerity on a regular basis, is helping to prop up the system that caused it.

He's the worst in all of the celebs who hate Corbyn.
For a start he's spent the last 10 years or so beforeCorbyn got elected leader decrying that all political leaders were the same bland suited people and he 'just wanted someone different' , in come Corbyn, posh Ianucci goes silent, it seems that 'different' had to be on his terms.

He's supposed to be a satirist but he's swallowed the mainstream consensus about Corbyn, he can't see through the machinations of the press, media etc. That should be his strong point and he swallows it all whole (or he's happily part of the status quo and doesn't really want any change because it might affect his Oxbridge chums).

Also going by his retweets he believes anti Israel = anti semitism.

phantom_power

No mention yet on the BBC News page, or in the list of most read articles

idunnosomename

it's got to the point now where anti-semitism is just like a miasma. they don't even need to find examples of someone saying something anti-israel now. just say labour is anti-semitic and what are you doing about it??? nothing!!

GET RID OF THOSE SIDEBURNS

greencalx

The Guardian morning briefing covers Labours complaint rather than the substance of the documentary itself, which is interesting. Maybe they realise the shark has been jumped (though I felt that a year ago). Maybe the complaint will be taken seriously, but I doubt it. The BBC has always taken the attitude that it never makes a bad decision.