Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:17:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Corbyn 24: OUR party, people!

Started by Johnny Yesno, July 02, 2019, 10:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambient Sheep

For what it's worth, the link works for me.

Paul Calf

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on July 12, 2019, 11:05:43 AM
Get into your workplaces, family dinners and bars and start telling dickheads they are talking shit.

Quote from: Sir William Of BraggOne leap forward, two leaps back
Will politics get me the sack?
Here comes the future and you can't run from it
If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it

The success of this campaign lies in making Corbyn so toxic that supporting him will lead to ridicule, ostracism and affect relationships with colleagues. What do you do if a Jewish colleague is angry that you've expressed support for someone that they (incorrectly, obviously) regard as antisemitic? I can see how these things could easily escalate into disciplinary matters.

Endicott

Quote from: NoSleep on July 12, 2019, 11:27:39 AM
That means you've already taken their side.

Sounds a bit George Dubya mate.

NoSleep

Well, what would be the answer, a compromise? Something less extreme?

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 12, 2019, 11:32:35 AM
The success of this campaign lies in making Corbyn so toxic that supporting him will lead to ridicule, ostracism and affect relationships with colleagues. What do you do if a Jewish colleague is angry that you've expressed support for someone that they (incorrectly, obviously) regard as antisemitic? I can see how these things could easily escalate into disciplinary matters.

That is the kind of result they are they are trying to achieve, yes. The success of it or not remains to be seen and depends on whether people take it lying down. If we get all despondent and run down about it then we have done their work for them.

Buelligan

It depends on solidarity.  Every oppressed movement wins by standing firm.  Stand firm.  They can only win if we waver.

Quote from: phantom_power on July 12, 2019, 11:06:28 AM
Imagine if pop svengali Tom Watkins was Deputy Leader of the Labour party

I have done. Endless covers of West End girls in the party manifesto.

Endicott

Quote from: NoSleep on July 12, 2019, 11:39:57 AM
Well, what would be the answer, a compromise? Something less extreme?

If I had a good succinct answer I'd have written it already. I agree with you and Zoyza, I also get where people are coming from. It's hard. It's worth it but it's hard. And the workplace may not be the right place for it, it all rather depends on individual responses.

NoSleep

What can you do but laugh at such stuff as that article yesterday that said Corbyn was the worst thing since WWII (i.e. Hitler, the Holocaust). I have hope that this hysteria is as apparent as the claims they're expecting people to swallow.

Buelligan

If the claims about Corbyn are true, why where they not mentioned when he was an MP for thirty years?  Or when he stood for the leadership for the first time? 

Most political journalists were saying who he? at the time and laughing complacently about his "joke" candidature, his beard, allotment and vests. 

And yet he's as bad as Hitler.  Hitler with a prize-winning marrow and bicycle clips.

pancreas

Quote from: imitationleather on July 12, 2019, 11:15:55 AM
Tom Watson's character makes me sick, and so it seems fitting that it is situated within his bizarre baggy and sagging formerly-fat face all wobbling about as he feigns legitimate concern about Panorama's latest hatchet job, which was essentially an extended political broadcast for his wing of the party.

I know. Not even Ricky Gervais's best work.

pancreas

Quote from: Pdine on July 12, 2019, 10:55:39 AM
Imagine if Dr Watson had acted like Tom Watson.

Imagine if Jeremy Brent were LOTO.

Cuellar

Imagine

Imagine

Imagine if Paul Joseph Watson was Dr Watson who was Tom Watson and Jereny Corbyn was dog

Dr Rock

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 12, 2019, 11:32:35 AM

Work colleague? Probably best not to discuss politics maybe. Or just say you've carefully looked at the evidence and you don't think he's antisemitic.

NoSleep

Yeah; it isn't an unarguable position. Unless they're being disingenuous dicks.

pancreas

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 12, 2019, 12:27:53 PM
Work colleague? Probably best not to discuss politics maybe. Or just say you've carefully looked at the evidence and you don't think he's antisemitic.

It normally becomes an issue when one person in a group (work or other) poses a question, e.g. "I don't know what all this fuss about Corbyn is about"

and then someone says "well he's bloody worse than Hitler" and there are murmurs of curiosity and agreement. I can't just ignore that.

ZoyzaSorris

I tend to avoid politics in the workplace but if someone else brings it up and is talking shit then just polite and firm disagreement of the form Dr Rock was suggesting seems pretty sensible and hard to fault.

pancreas

Brexit is the worst. The Europeans in the Uni are even more furious about it than your average FPBE.

sponk

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on July 12, 2019, 12:36:28 PM
I tend to avoid politics in the workplace but if someone else brings it up and is talking shit then just polite and firm disagreement of the form Dr Rock was suggesting seems pretty sensible and hard to fault.

Act the big man sending abusive, sweary insults to people who disagree with you online. Act meek and open minded in person. Got it.

No one I work with gives a shit about politics luckily, although I have heard all the usual 'I work hard so why should so-and-so be getting summat for nuffink?' bullshit about benefits claimants on occasion. I generally assume those people aren't going to change their minds too much anyway and politely agree to disagree.

Most people are of the 'they're all as bad as each other' school when it comes to politicians.

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: sponk on July 12, 2019, 12:40:54 PM
Act the big man sending abusive, sweary insults to people who disagree with you online. Act meek and open minded in person. Got it.

http://www.generatorland.com/usergenerator.aspx?id=13001

ZoyzaSorris

Yeah, its fucking great. As always. Love Mr Cook's work.

Buelligan

Yes, it's a superb piece and worth forwarding to anyone and everyone.  Thanks pancs, phancs.

On the other thing, I think I make it plain to everyone around me where I stand politically.  I don't need to say anything, my values are what shape my life.  Plain as a pikestaff.

lipsink

I'm starting to think my friends are a little sick of me posting pro-Corbyn stuff on Twitter or re-tweeting Owen Jones/Ash Sarkar stuff. Pretty much all of my friends consider themselves on the left but a lot of them have parroted the usual "Corbyn is unelectable, Corbyn needs to deal with the anti-semitism in his own party". 
I've become one of those people who believes there's a mad conspiracy to smear Corbyn.

Replies From View

Why is it not illegal for Corbyn to be so comprehensively smeared?

Could somebody explain please?

Paul Calf

It's defamation, but it's a civil matter and British libel law is a tool and a toy for the rich and powerful.

Kelvin

Quote from: lipsink on July 12, 2019, 12:53:06 PM
I'm starting to think my friends are a little sick of me posting pro-Corbyn stuff on Twitter or re-tweeting Owen Jones/Ash Sarkar stuff. Pretty much all of my friends consider themselves on the left but a lot of them have parroted the usual "Corbyn is unelectable, Corbyn needs to deal with the anti-semitism in his own party". 
I've become one of those people who believes there's a mad conspiracy to smear Corbyn.

At this point, and in hindsight, looking back on how long this anti-Semitism story has ran for, I actually think Labour and Corbyn should be much more critical of the media, and much more open that the accusations are, in many cases, politically motivated smears.

As it stands, Labour have always repeated the line that they oppose all racism... but then the Tories say that too. It's what you expect any party or organisation to say in that situation - even though, in this case, it's true.

Instead, Labour probably needed to implant an idea much earlier that all these media attacks are politically motivated, so that the public could start viewing all criticism of Labour through that prism - and over time, it would start to seem obvious to most people there was truth in that argument.

It wouldn't kill the attacks, but it might have provided a more compelling alternative narrative for people to bear in mind when hearing this stuff. Plus, the media can't resist talking about itself and defending itself, which would have meant more coverage for Labour's counter arguments.

I understand why Labour tried to avoid this at the time, but looking back, I'm sure it would have helped them by this point.