Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:47:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Alan McGee biopic

Started by Ballad of Ballard Berkley, July 03, 2019, 01:05:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hundhoon

i wonder who will play Bobby Gillespie, need to find someone who looks like a school geek on smack.

seriously though Alan was (after Ivo Watts Russell) the best talent scout  in the past 30-40 years.

Jockice

Quote from: Hundhoon on July 08, 2019, 11:36:54 PM
i wonder who will play Bobby Gillespie, need to find someone who looks like a school geek on smack.

seriously though Alan was (after Ivo Watts Russell) the best talent scout  in the past 30-40 years.

There actually was a guy in the year below me at school who looked exactly like Bobby Gillespie. Although he had the same name as a famous snooker player. He was in a band at one point as well. Dunno about smack, but a friend of mine met him on a train a few years ago and said he had black teeth, through smoking I'd guess.

Jim_MacLaine

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 04, 2019, 11:33:13 PM
An epic, eight-hour Netflix miniseries about the Scottish indie music scene of the late 70s, 80s and 90s would be amazing. And by 'amazing' I do of course mean 'Staggering that such a thing could even exist and hilarious for that very reason if nothing else'.

Not 8 hours but Scottish indie of those eras is covered in a few docs.

I would say

The Outsiders https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdee7QaZgAU

and

Big Gold Dream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP_-2wBTHi4

are definitely worth a watch.

imitationleather

It should focus on all the utter shit landfill indie he signed to Poptones once The Libertines happened.

jobotic

Quote from: Jim_MacLaine on July 09, 2019, 11:05:13 AM
Not 8 hours but Scottish indie of those eras is covered in a few docs.

I would say

The Outsiders https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdee7QaZgAU

and

Big Gold Dream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP_-2wBTHi4

are definitely worth a watch.

I couldn't be less interested in an Alan McGee biopic by Irvine Welsh, but these do look worth a watch. Where can we see them?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: imitationleather on July 09, 2019, 11:11:04 AM
It should focus on all the utter shit landfill indie he signed to Poptones once The Libertines happened.
The Hives were quite fun, at least at first, but I recall the Cosmic Rough Riders being absolute tedium.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: imitationleather on July 09, 2019, 11:11:04 AM

The Montgolfier Brothers album is so great.

Lordofthefiles

Teenage Fanclub aren't gonna get a look in are they? - Nice guys, great musicians and incredible songs... Fuck THAT!

Jim_MacLaine

Quote from: jobotic on July 09, 2019, 11:15:27 AM
I couldn't be less interested in an Alan McGee biopic by Irvine Welsh, but these do look worth a watch. Where can we see them?

The Outsiders is here.. https://www.dazeddigital.com/artsandculture/article/22716/1/watch-our-full-length-documentary-the-outsiders

Big Gold Dream is here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M5aOKj3UQI

jobotic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Thanks, Jim. I've seen Big Gold Dream, it's great, but I haven't stumbled across The Outsiders before.

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on July 09, 2019, 01:36:02 PM
The Hives were quite fun, at least at first, but I recall the Cosmic Rough Riders being absolute tedium.

Hate To Say I Told You So by The Hives is an absolute banger, one of the few great songs to emerge from that whole 'garage rock' revival. Unfortunately, it was their only memorable song. Good fun live, but the novelty wore thin.

The squat singer from Cosmic Rough Riders is the most laughably arrogant musician I've ever interviewed. He carried himself with the imperious self-belief of a man who could comfortably excrete three Forever Changes and a Bandwagonesque before breakfast, but in reality all he ever came up with was anaemic, generic, jangle-pop drivel.

He probably still thinks he's an overlooked genius.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 09, 2019, 09:13:41 PMHate To Say I Told You So by The Hives is an absolute banger, one of the few great songs to emerge from that whole 'garage rock' revival. Unfortunately, it was their only memorable song. Good fun live, but the novelty wore thin.
A very good friend of mine paired up with a Swedish girl around the time, and I got tipped off about the Hives a bit ahead of the curve. Which unfortunately meant by the time 'Hate to Say I Told You So' became a hit here, I was a tad bored with it. 'Main Offender' was a decent song too, and I remember the proper parent album ('Veni Vidi Vicious') having one or two other entertaining garage rock numbers. Not in any hurry to revisit it, mind you. 

And your Cosmic Rough Riders bloke story made me chuckle, thanks.

kidsick5000

I expect Hate To Say I Told You So to turn up on an advert soon.

SteveDave

They'd made a house near me up to look like Supernova Heights last week. I am shocked and annoyed that I was asked to be an extra.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Lordofthefiles on July 09, 2019, 02:14:59 PM
Teenage Fanclub aren't gonna get a look in are they? - Nice guys, great musicians and incredible songs... Fuck THAT!

Of course they were ON Creation, but only after Paperhouse went bust in the great Indie Crash of '92 (what was all that about - was it Rough Trade connected?

I hope the film focuses in great detail on the compilation of C-RE 128, which was sellotaped onto the front of Select magazine in 1992.

MiddleRabbit

The Cosmic Rough Riders' album - something about Melodic Sunshine - remains the only album I've taken back to the shop and swapped it on account of it being the biggest pile of shit I've ever heard.

Surprisingly, the assistant had no qualms about swapping it which surprised me on one level and not at all on another.  I love all that jingly jangly indie wank but, it turns out, even I have limits.

As for the film, I wonder if they're going to include the part about Oasis never signing to Creation at all because Marcus Russell advised against it?

wosl

Quote from: gilbertharding on July 18, 2019, 03:59:17 PMI hope the film focuses in great detail on the compilation of C-RE 128, which was sellotaped onto the front of Select magazine in 1992.

I've got my fingers crossed for a scene showing Jim Reid and Bobby Gillespie teaching Stephen from The Telescopes the correct way to stagger around in a nihilistic torpor while clutching onto a microphone stand.

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: gilbertharding on July 18, 2019, 03:59:17 PM
Of course they were ON Creation, but only after Paperhouse went bust in the great Indie Crash of '92 (what was all that about - was it Rough Trade connected?

I hope the film focuses in great detail on the compilation of C-RE 128, which was sellotaped onto the front of Select magazine in 1992.

They left because they wanted to be on Creation, I thought,  Paperhouse were pissed off at having their contract fulfilled by 'The King', the instrumental album they tossed off.

Fabian Thomsett

He came. He invented Baby Amphetamine. He sold his soul to Sony. He signed up Mishka.

Goldentony

This should be a redo of Passion of The Christ except instead of blasphemy the bald cunt's crucified for giving the world Oasis and Bobby Gilespie, and instead of resurrection or whatever else he just gets shoved into a fucking big microwave specially built by Amstrad and nobody gets saved, learns fuck all or anything else

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: MiddleRabbit on July 18, 2019, 04:45:43 PM
They left because they wanted to be on Creation, I thought,  Paperhouse were pissed off at having their contract fulfilled by 'The King', the instrumental album they tossed off.

The King was released after they'd signed to Creation and after the release of Bandwagonesque, apparently to fulfil their contract with Matador in the US so they could sign to Geffen.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Goldentony on July 18, 2019, 05:47:18 PM
This should be a redo of Passion of The Christ except instead of blasphemy the bald cunt's crucified for giving the world Oasis and Bobby Gilespie, and instead of resurrection or whatever else he just gets shoved into a fucking big microwave specially built by Amstrad and nobody gets saved, learns fuck all or anything else
Oasis would have happened even if McGee had exploded in a puff of cocaine in 1992 or whatever - Sony would have found/created some other quasi-indie to stick them on. You can blame him for Gillespie having a career in pop music for nearly two decades, though, that's his true legacy.

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 18, 2019, 06:17:33 PM
The King was released after they'd signed to Creation and after the release of Bandwagonesque, apparently to fulfil their contract with Matador in the US so they could sign to Geffen.

The King was definitely released before Bandwagonesque, but you're right about it being on Matador.  A Catholic Education was on Paperhouse wasn't it? 

NattyDread 2

Yes it was. The King was on Creation I think. They were definitely on there by '91.

PaulTMA

The King is such a short album (32 minutes or something) but it's remarkably boring.

holyzombiejesus

I know someone whose favourite TFC album is Catholic Education. Fucking weirdo.

buzby

Quote from: gilbertharding on July 18, 2019, 03:59:17 PM
It was Rough Trade Distribution that went under wasn't it? The lack of distribution then impacted thier clients. That was a delayed aftershock of the collapse of Red Rhino and The Cartel in 1988, followed by Fast Forward in 1990. Factory's demise in 1992 was of their own making, of course.

I wonder if Bill Drummond will be a character in the film? The Man is McGee's 5th favourite album.

gilbertharding

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 19, 2019, 08:46:26 AM
I know someone whose favourite TFC album is Catholic Education. Fucking weirdo.

It's mine, I must say - but I gave up after Bandwagonesque (which I thought at the time was overrated).

I mean, it's got Everything Flows on it.

gilbertharding

Quote from: buzby on July 19, 2019, 08:57:26 AM
It was Rough Trade Distribution that went under wasn't it? The lack of distribution then impacted thier clients. That was a delayed aftershock of the collapse of Red Rhino and The Cartel in 1988, followed by Fast Forward in 1990. Factory's demise in 1992 was of their own making, of course.

I was thinking of Boo Radleys, who were on Rough Trade when it went bust. Paperhouse didn't fold (!) until a little bit later - and a while after TFC left.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: buzby on July 19, 2019, 08:57:26 AMI wonder if Bill Drummond will be a character in the film? The Man is McGee's 5th favourite album.
With good reason, of course. 'Julian Cope is Dead' is fantastic.