Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 03:09:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

StS: Wednesday Weekly Whigmaleerie

Started by MojoJojo, July 03, 2019, 10:47:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MojoJojo

Welcome to a Slay the Spire Whigmaleerie*!

The idea is we all play with same seed and then recount our experiences. Setting the seed is done by clicking on this button when you start a game:

(on switch it tells you which button to press). Playing with same seed means (I think) we all play on the same map. Although that might only be if we make the same choices, I'm not sure.

As many of us are new to this you can play with whichever character you want. Hopefully runs will be similar enough that we'll be able to compare how we've done.

For this first run, the seed will be today's date in the One True Date Format: 20190703

Fry

Yeah I'm going to crack on that big time, just finished my first run feelin' invincible.

gmoney

Going to give this a blast when I get in. Gonna shiv ya bastards!

Jerzy Bondov

Noonling

I imagine when using different characters the experiences will be pretty different, even though the relics and enemies/bosses will be the same.

I think I'll try some point today with The Silent - its actually the character I've played the least (and am worst at!).

MojoJojo

I actually tried it yesterday with the silent. Got to the act 3 boss. It was definitely a case where I should have looked at the boss and planned around it instead of just grabbing the shineys on my path.

I had planned to take screenshots and do a big rambling post about it but some real life shit put me in a bad mood so I couldn't be arsed.

[edit] I will try again and do the screenshots thing later, but it will probably be Sunday now at the earliest [/edit]

Jerzy Bondov

I decided to have a go with the Silent as that seems to be a popular choice, even though I've only played as him once before. Slaughtered by the first boss. I was building a deck based around getting lots of draws and discards, but it didn't really have a focus and rarely worked the way I wanted it to. I'm playing this using Xbox Game Pass on the PC and I'm not sure how to take a screenshot so you'll have to imagine a really shitty deck.

Went up the right hand path as it seemed to have the best mix of stuff to do and hit all the elites I could. I had to heal at all the bonfires which is a bad sign. Poor show all round frankly. Will have another crack soon

Junglist

Did my run with Ironclad as he's the one character I fully understand synergies with. First floor selection of cards were a bit weak but some solid 2 energy damage cards, coupled with a STR card and Limit Break. Second floor brought about a ton more quality damage cards and some more STR cards, and a few bonfires allowed me to upgrade Limit Break for shits and giggles.

Third Floor was fun as hell. I weas hitting minimum 7 STR every fight, and with end of floor relics I had 5 energy to negate the 2 cost cards. There was a ? right before final boss was Mind Bloom, and as I was full health, I took I Am Awake. This upgrades all cards, but stops you healing. Final boss, Timekeeper, was a no block effort, just slam the fuck out of him with damage and use Offering+ and Seeing Red+ to boost energy. Screenshots below:

I'll try Silent tomorrow. I'm fucking terrible with Silent.

Noonling

I WON! I won with Silent no less!

I had made a shiv-heavy (and generally card-playing-heavy) deck, so when I saw the final boss was Time Eater I thought I was done for, but I managed to scrape by. My general combo was actually all acquired in Act 1, everything else was a bonus. After Image+ (gain 1 block for every time you play a card - upgrade its innate so you get it on round 1) was my main way of getting block for the sheer number of cards I would play. I also (riskily!) exchanged my strikes for bites, losing a lot of max HP but allowing me to heal during combat.

For most bosses it was Choke+ (deal 12 damage, plus 5 more for each further card played) plus shiv-generating cards with Burst (next skill is played twice). If I was lucky this was boosted early on by Accuracy (Power: shivs deal extra damage) and Infinite Blades (gain 1 shiv at the start of each turn). And although Phantasmal Killer (next turn attack damage is doubled) actually didnt end up being that useful due to bad draws, it was still a bonus sometimes.

My lengthy time was partly because I got distracted a couple of times, but mostly because I play super slowly.

MojoJojo

Yeah, wrist blades made me go deep into shivs in the final act, but time eater got me - he is sort of the counter to shiv builds. I did fuck up by not realising I could only play 1 card when I needed block to live but it would have been a very close run thing without my screwup.

MojoJojo

Well it's Wednesday so lets have another seed.

This time it'ss a date precious to CaB's heart - 20140528 - bonus points for those he work out the significance.

I'll try and write an interesting post about it this time.