Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:55:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Loudermilk

Started by steveh, July 03, 2019, 11:19:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveh

Just finished watching the first two series of this and ended up quite liking it.

A former music journalist with one book to his name, Sam Loudermilk (played by Ron Livingston) is an alcoholic who drove his car drunk into a tree maiming his wife. Now divorced he cleans floors for a living while running an alcoholics support group for other middle-aged men like him at the local Catholic church. He shares an apartment with another alcoholic, played by Will Sasso, and as a favour to the church's priest they're joined by a young woman who went off the rails after her dad died, played by Anja Savcic. While set in Seattle it's a Canadian production, created by Peter Farrely, of 'brothers' fame, and Bobby Mort, a Colbert Report writer.

The first couple of episodes probably aren't going to convince many people to watch and the earlier performances are at times less natural too but it develops into a nice ensemble comedy with some quiet absurdism. Alongside the main characters, the misfits in the group are mostly well drawn and provide scope for side stories while plots are allowed to develop in pieces over time rather than in self-contained episodes. One annoying thing though is that the 'Previously' section at the start of each episode rather telegraphs exactly what you're going to get to follow. There's a slight sag at the start of the second series and it's not on the whole laugh out loud material but it's decent enough and I found it a grower.

Seems to be an exclusive for AT&T cable in the US but included with Amazon Prime Video in the UK. Third series airs in the US this winter apparently.

olliebean

Season 3 of this never got shown because the channel it was due to be shown on went down the tubes. But apparently it's appeared on Canadian Prime Video in the last couple of days. Hoping it will turn up on UK Prime Video soon (or become otherwise available).

olliebean

Season 3 has now become otherwise available.

mippy

I started it, quite enjoyed spotting the Vancouver buses etc in the background.

dead-ced-dead

I've been enjoying this. I found a way to see season 3 and it's as good as seasons 1 and 2.

If there's one flaw in the show it's that it falls into the same strawmen as After Life, with Loudermilk yelling at some Twitter parody of a millennial etc, and those scenes are the most eye-rolling of all, but it sidesteps this in several ways:

1. It's not the main thrust of the show. It's usually one or two scenes in a plot driven show to give the boomers watching an erection.
2. The plot (Loudermilk's recovering addict being a therapist to a bunch of other addicts) is very compelling.
3. Ron Livingstone is 1,000,000x the actor Ricky Gervais is.
4. Ron didn't write the role, so unlike After Life it's not a wish fullfillment fantasy.
5. Will Sasso's genial role as the role mate often finds a way to cut the legs from under Loudermilk when he's being an ass.

Overall, good stuff.