Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:49:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Psst

Started by Fambo Number Mive, July 03, 2019, 03:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Can we do something nice for Neil given that he's in hospital? Have a whip-round for something he'd like? This isn't a HS Art thread but I thought I would put it here so it was a surprise.

Didn't Cabbers contribute towards a games console for Neil several years ago? Can we do something similar and is there something we can think of that he would like?

This is a serious thread - is there anyone who knows Neil particularly well and can organise the purchase of whatever was nice for him and get it sent to his house?

Neil puts up with a lot of crap and this forum has meant a lot to me - and I am sure all of us - over the years and I think it would be nice if we got him something to cheer him up.

I wonder about the logistics of some kind of card electronically signed by us all as well.

Buelligan

This sounds like a really lovely idea - I don't have paypal or anything but could send cash to whoever the trustee is (it would be in €).  Hope this helps.  Shhhh.

PS  I think he needs a new puter/laptop - I remember him saying something about having to do all the tinkering on the site using his phone and what a ballache it was.  Events might have overtaken this, mind.

Fambo Number Mive

That's a good point - a new computer would be a great idea.

Fambo Number Mive

So we'd need to decide

- How we would collect the funds
- Who would be the treasurer (I'd rather not do this, sorry)
- What computer/laptop we would buy
- Whom we would buy it from and how we would transfer the money
- How we would get the computer to Neil
- Whether we want to try and make some kind of card as well

Can you all help come up with a plan? And do we need a committee?

Ferris

I'd be happy to kick in a few quid. Typically we email/PayPal someone the cash and they keep track and do the final transfer on an honours system if memory serves. That's how it worked for Serge, though I think we went the cash to Neil/Barry

Re: stuff to get him - it's nice to have a gift pre-bought but I wonder if the logistics is a bit much. Maybe sending him the cash and saying "spend this on a computer" is easier? Not sure, thought I'd put it out there.

chveik

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on July 03, 2019, 05:01:43 PM
So we'd need to decide

- How we would collect the funds
- Who would be the treasurer (I'd rather not do this, sorry)
- What computer/laptop we would buy
- Whom we would buy it from and how we would transfer the money
- How we would get the computer to Neil
- Whether we want to try and make some kind of card as well

Can you all help come up with a plan? And do we need a committee?

it'd be probably better to send him the money, you can't guess what sort of computer he wants.

anyway I'd like to contribute.

Fambo Number Mive

Money would probably be easier. I don't know if you can buy vouchers that people can use towards the cost of computers. But then you can only buy the computer from one particular place.

Maybe we should go for money. It would be great if we could get something for Neil to do in hospital as well as he must be bored. I just like the idea of a small present as well as the money.

holyzombiejesus

I'm happy to be treasurer; I did it for Serge and didn't keep any. Having said that, my paypal address contains my name so would really want to PM it to people rather than posting on here. Dunno if that rules me out.

Buelligan

Would you be OK with receiving cash in € through the post or is there some other kind soul who would be willing to take my cash and include it in a paypal payment of their own?

BlodwynPig

I'll add Buells contrib to mine and buells, you could donate that share to somewhere. Double win

pancreas

The problem with giving poor people money is that they spend it on drugs. Not sure this is a good idea.

popcorn

pancreas

Did you manage to buy your account back?

popcorn

I'm not really meant to be using it while the investigation is underway but between you and me I'm just going to say it got hacked.

Buelligan

Quote from: pancreas on July 04, 2019, 09:21:33 AM
The problem with giving poor people money is that they spend it on drugs. Not sure this is a good idea.

Do you want to buy some?

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 04, 2019, 08:17:06 AM
I'll add Buells contrib to mine and buells, you could donate that share to somewhere. Double win

I'm not sure that would be right, would it?  (Thank you hugely, I mean).  But if someone (even you Blods) can trust me with their address (I can be trusted), has paypal and can use euros (I know, it's a big lot of if, especially now we're having brexit), then I will send them some actual money (and they will get a lovely French stamp for their collection).

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Buelligan on July 03, 2019, 10:34:30 PM
Would you be OK with receiving cash in € through the post or is there some other kind soul who would be willing to take my cash and include it in a paypal payment of their own?

I don't mind receiving cash through the post.

Buelligan

Thanks, that's fantastically kind of you.  Let me know your address when the time is ripe and I will send you my contribution. 

Do you (any of you fucks) think we should try to publicise this better?  I was wondering about whether PMs might be a good idea - each of us PMing a few good souls with the link to this thread perhaps?

Ferris

Quote from: Buelligan on July 04, 2019, 03:18:43 PM
Thanks, that's fantastically kind of you.  Let me know your address when the time is ripe and I will send you my contribution. 

Do you (any of you fucks) think we should try to publicise this better?  I was wondering about whether PMs might be a good idea - each of us PMing a few good souls with the link to this thread perhaps?

Anyone have an idea to what extent Neil isn't checking CaB? ie would a "get Neil something nice" thread be too obvious?

You can set up group PMs, they work like group emails and you can add people as we go. Could be a less visible route?

Buelligan

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 04, 2019, 03:22:59 PM
Anyone have an idea to what extent Neil isn't checking CaB? ie would a "get Neil something nice" thread be too obvious?

You can set up group PMs, they work like group emails and you can add people as we go. Could be a less visible route?

I think this is already too public, if we want it to be a surprise.  The PMing and then getting others to PM other, like those phone tree things, might be an answer.

pancreas

He's probably seen this already. Fuck it, start a thread in GB and tell him he's not to look in it.

holyzombiejesus

Suggested that to him and he said nah.

a duncandisorderly

amazon vouchers. then we can all buy them individually & just post the codes somewhere.... isn't that how they work?

then he can buy what he wants. or is amazon cancelled?

Fambo Number Mive

Might be an idea. Can Amazon vouchers be bought through Amazon Smile?

How would the Amazon vouchers get sent to Neil? Never bough them.

pancreas

I think the best thing to do would be just to donate as normal, no? What's the point of converting it into something worse?

pigamus

Quote from: pancreas on July 07, 2019, 12:02:14 AM
I think the best thing to do would be just to donate as normal, no? What's the point of converting it into something worse?

Yeah I was going to say - the thing is the Donate option is just below General Bullshit, nowhere near the top of the page, so you have to scroll down before you even see it, and you kind of forget it's there I think.

pigamus

Quote from: Buelligan on July 03, 2019, 10:34:30 PM

I've got a TSB account that's verified with Paypal, I don't know if that's any use to you or anybody else in terms of bank transfers or whatever - I know I've donated in the past without any problems - not saying that to big myself up or anything - don't really know the ins and outs of it in terms of transferring money round the world and so on.

Fambo Number Mive

In terms of getting more people involved, what are the best threads to mention this in?