Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:42:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dream Corp LLC

Started by dr_christian_troy, July 03, 2019, 03:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr_christian_troy

I originally posted about this in "what makes you cry" thread in relation to the trailer specifically, and then I debated about posting about in the TV section, but ultimately decided to post about it here.

In other words, has anyone else been watching this?

From Adult Swim, Dream Corp LLC focuses on Dr Roberts, the head of a shady laboratory located in a warehouse, and his misfit team, in which desperate patients allow the doctor to enter their dreams / mind space to help identify their root cause anxieties or phobias. It's a hefty blend of live action and rotoscope animation, is produced by Stephen Merchant (who also voices a robot which was created specially by The Henson Company) and John Krasinski, and features an abundance of guest stars (Toby Kebbell playing a serial killer and Maria Bamford voicing a friendly garbage creature are particular highlights).

Although it is technically a comedy, there's a lot more depth to it than meets the eye. The animation is at times gorgeous and the trailer linked here is a montage of dream sequences through which Dr Roberts, Patient 88 (who also works there to pay off his debt and is often the fall guy) and Randy (played by Mark Proksch, On Cinema fans) are seen navigating through a variation of psyches of different patients. Various phobias, anxieties and root cause issues are identified in the trailer (fear of rejection, abandonment issues, anger management, humiliation, family separation, hoarding culture, fear of commitment, loneliness, fear of drowning, fear of spiders, to name but a few), and with the beautiful accompanying track (Gentry by Chris Garneau), for reasons I can't explain the whole thing devastates me every time I watch it.

In summary, I love this show. The first two seasons are on All 4.

St_Eddie

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on July 03, 2019, 03:52:56 PM
Dream Corp LLC focuses on Dr Roberts, the head of a shady laboratory located in a warehouse, and his misfit team, in which desperate patients allow the doctor to enter their dreams / mind space to help identify their root cause anxieties or phobias.

Sounds like a bit of a rip-off of Psychonauts, to be honest.

Small Man Big Horse

I've watched the first six episodes and then never got round to finishing the rest, or watching the second season, but due to your enthusiasm I'll definitely give it another go now. I did like what I saw of it as well, it just wasn't a show I was madly in love with and at the time there was a lot else on.

Blue Jam

I guess Stephen Merchant had a blast voicing Wheatley in Portal 2...

Thanks for the recommendation Dr CT, I'm three episodes in and enjoying it so far.

Mister Six

Watched the pilot on a plane months ago and then promptly forgot all about it. Which is crazy, because the pilot is brilliant - fantastic dialogue, great characters and those gorgeous, hideous dream sequences. Definitely going to have to track the rest of it down when I get the chance (alas, I'm out of the US at the minute, and Asian Adult Swim/CN streams don't always have the more edgy stuff).

McFlymo

I've watched 6 episodes so far and love it! It's almost annoyingly quirky and busy, but actually, I think every element of it is just right. A bit creepy, but not too creepy. Very funny, but not over-egging the corny jokes. A bit scary, dark, twisted, but that's held together with some great characters. And the dream sequences are very pretty, as well as being quite sincere and warm.

My only gripe is how 4OD have over 3 minutes of ads per 10 minute episode (or maybe it's only 3 minutes of ads for the first episode, I got annoyed and didn't hang about) so I ended up watching it on Daily Motion. (TPB had links to episodes but no seeds). Any suggestions of where to get more of this without a ridiculous amount of ads? I'd be up for paying for it (although only if it's stupidly cheap, because I'm a tight cunt, with a serious attitude problem... )

dr_christian_troy

I recently watched the Pickle Trip episode of Season 2 - it's just...beautiful. It's as beautiful as the the final episode of Season 2 is both terrifying and devastating. I do hope more people watch this series.

I would argue that if there were enough folks interested, the series is actually ripe for discussion - not even necessary on a comedy length but also in terms of analysis in relation to root cause psychology and dream interpretation.

...and Gentry by Chris Garneau - as featured in the gorgeous Season 2 trailer and towards the end of Pickle Trip - is overwhelmingly emotive.

Season 3 is now in post-production.

bgmnts

Quote from: McFlymo on July 09, 2019, 06:18:42 AM
I've watched 6 episodes so far and love it! It's almost annoyingly quirky and busy, but actually, I think every element of it is just right. A bit creepy, but not too creepy. Very funny, but not over-egging the corny jokes. A bit scary, dark, twisted, but that's held together with some great characters. And the dream sequences are very pretty, as well as being quite sincere and warm.

My only gripe is how 4OD have over 3 minutes of ads per 10 minute episode (or maybe it's only 3 minutes of ads for the first episode, I got annoyed and didn't hang about) so I ended up watching it on Daily Motion. (TPB had links to episodes but no seeds). Any suggestions of where to get more of this without a ridiculous amount of ads? I'd be up for paying for it (although only if it's stupidly cheap, because I'm a tight cunt, with a serious attitude problem... )

Big red flag.

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: bgmnts on August 02, 2019, 01:48:18 AM
Big red flag. 12 minutes per episode on Adult Swim.

Fixed.

dr_christian_troy

Season 3 is now out in the US (and around online as and when...). Still beautiful and brilliant.