Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:28:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Unhalfbricking has the best album sleeve.

Started by holyzombiejesus, July 04, 2019, 11:18:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

It's just perfect isn't it? Everything. Without it the LP would just be a 9/10 but with it, it gets 9 1/2.

PlanktonSideburns

purlieu

BlodwynPig

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 04, 2019, 12:43:31 PM
It's what Brexiteers want to return to

Brexit can clearly be solved with moderately progressive folk pop.

daf

Um,halfnaked

(Was looking for that one with the 'Lady and the trombone', but this'll do)

Glebe

daf

An "Open Face Sandwich" sounds a bit fruity - like something we might catch a glimpse of on the back cover of this.

Maurice Yeatman

I love it - it's brilliantly composed. I'm sure I've seen other photos with Denny's parents from the same session, but I can't remember where now. (They're not in the 2003 CD booklet.)

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on July 04, 2019, 10:50:36 PM
I love it - it's brilliantly composed. I'm sure I've seen other photos with Denny's parents from the same session, but I can't remember where now. (They're not in the 2003 CD booklet.)

I think there were some in a Mojo article a few years back.

Imagine having an album that looks this ace and also contains Who Knows Where The Time Goes. That's some fucking chutzpah.

EDIT: Ha ha ha! Look at the sleeve that A&M gave it in the US!

alan nagsworth

The one in the OP looks like it's got some sort of Instagram filter on it..? I much prefer it like this.

Keebleman

I've always marvelled at how the only aspect of the photo which looks out of date is the band.  Except for them, the pic looks like it could have been taken in any well-to-do village of the present.  Dad in particular is dressed in clothes which many late 60-something men would wear today.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

What, having a bunch of pot-smoking folkie longhairs hanging about in their gardens?

kalowski

wosl

Always loved it.  It also has one of the very best band photos there is on the back. Sandy and co. tucking into some breakfast scran:

Sandy's poor old dad, not young at the time of Unhalfbricking, as you can see from the cover, went on to outlive his wife, his daughter, his son and his son-in-law.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: wosl on July 04, 2019, 11:36:37 PM
Sandy's poor old dad, not young at the time of Unhalfbricking, as you can see from the cover, went on to outlive his wife, his daughter, his son and his son-in-law.

didn't know this. fucking hell

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 04, 2019, 10:55:11 PM
I think there were some in a Mojo article a few years back.

Rings a bell. I wondered if it was Shindig, but anyway I might have it lying around with a dead spider and half a crisp on it somewhere.

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 04, 2019, 10:55:11 PMImagine having an album that looks this ace and also contains Who Knows Where The Time Goes. That's some fucking chutzpah.

A song I shouldn't listen too when I'm melancholy-drunk, but it's so often the one I go to when I am.

poodlefaker

It's great the way the band's heads are framed by the trellis. I love that 60s Island logo as well.

Neville Chamberlain

It's a beautiful cover indeed. Properly hauntological and all that. I tried to look for the scene on Street View, but can't seem to locate it...

Norton Canes

Always liked Brian Griffin's incredible photo for the cover of Depeche Mode's 'A Broken Frame'

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: Norton Canes on July 05, 2019, 10:40:52 AM
Always liked Brian Griffin's incredible photo for the cover of Depeche Mode's 'A Broken Frame'

Yes, it is a beauty.

Norton Canes

If only she'd been there to finish him off with that sickle.

sevendaughters

Unhalfbricking is definitely one of the best album covers. I showed it to my bass player and he became a fan just based on the cover. Trying to think of others I like as much as that. Untitled EP by Slint has a spectral quality that is very understated and works with the music well. Propaganda by Sparks too is very good.

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: poodlefaker on July 05, 2019, 10:18:45 AM
It's great the way the band's heads are framed by the trellis. I love that 60s Island logo as well.

In the book Electric Eden, photographer Eric Hayes says people often ask him how hard it was to get each person's head framed in five different gaps in the lattice, but it was actually just luck.

jobotic

I'd like to return to the days when a house with a garden like that in Wimbledon wasn't only for billionaires but I know Brexit won't get me there.

Great cover.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: sevendaughters on July 05, 2019, 12:05:41 PM
Propaganda by Sparks too is very good.

I think pound for pound Sparks have the best run of brilliant album covers. One of these days I'm going to have framed vinyl sleeves for Propaganda, Angst in My Pants and Indiscreet lined up on my wall.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on July 05, 2019, 12:10:22 PM
In the book Electric Eden, photographer Eric Hayes says people often ask him how hard it was to get each person's head framed in five different gaps in the lattice, but it was actually just luck.

Reading that right now.  Had a yen after enjoying that Joe Boyd book so much.  Loving it so far.  Totally taps into my pre-industrialist England fantasies (except without the weird racist connotations contained therein).  Love that he decided to start it all off with Vashti Bunyan in a horse and cart.

Incidentally, I took a leap and finally asked someone what that 'folk singers with one finger in their ear' phrase meant.  Always assumed it was them saying folk music was a bag of shite.  But no.  They did it so they could hear themselves sing.  It's good to ask questions.

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: Sin Agog on July 06, 2019, 09:29:25 PM
Reading that right now.  Had a yen after enjoying that Joe Boyd book so much.  Loving it so far.  Totally taps into my pre-industrialist England fantasies (except without the weird racist connotations contained therein).  Love that he decided to start it all off with Vashti Bunyan in a horse and cart.

It's an excellent read. You're probably ahead of me, but I recommend Seasons They Change on similar lines.