Author Topic: Christopher Booker dead  (Read 1216 times)

Christopher Booker dead
« on: July 04, 2019, 03:16:32 PM »
Private Eye co-founder and latterly climate change denial evangelist Christopher Booker has died:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/jul/04/christopher-booker-obituary

gilbertharding

• Not even the rudest man in the Beatles
Re: Christopher Booker dead
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 03:55:50 PM »
I'm sure there are people will miss him...

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 04:22:47 PM »
Didn't realise he was responsible for Thribb.  That would explain why the column's tone -- which one would have thought was easy enough to mimic -- has changed in recent issues.

c

• Sandalwood by George Ezra
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 04:23:17 PM »
He might have been far away from most of us here on the political spectrum but for story nerds, his Seven Basic Plots was an impressive piece of scholarship and also very influential (John Yorke's Into The Woods for example, seems heavily influenced by it).

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 04:34:14 PM »
Didn't realise he was responsible for Thribb.  That would explain why the column's tone -- which one would have thought was easy enough to mimic -- has changed in recent issues.

According to this it was Barry Fantoni? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._J._Thribb

Panbaams

• Your face here
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 04:38:02 PM »
According to this it was Barry Fantoni? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._J._Thribb

Original writer Barry Fantoni left the position in December 2010, to retire and live in France. It is unknown who now writes the poems.

It may well be that no one person writes them.

Maurice Yeatman

• His Reverence won't like it
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 10:36:16 PM »
It's a pity he won't be alive to see his views on asbestos vindicated.

Maurice Yeatman

• His Reverence won't like it
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 10:38:55 PM »
He might have been far away from most of us here on the political spectrum but for story nerds, his Seven Basic Plots was an impressive piece of scholarship and also very influential (John Yorke's Into The Woods for example, seems heavily influenced by it).

I know I was enjoying it a couple of years ago, but now I see my copy bookmarked at The Snow Queen on p196. Only 500 pages to go.

c

• Sandalwood by George Ezra
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2019, 07:20:50 AM »
I know I was enjoying it a couple of years ago, but now I see my copy bookmarked at The Snow Queen on p196. Only 500 pages to go.

Yes it could've done with a massive edit

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2019, 03:30:45 PM »
He helped start the backlash against the social revolution of the sixties with The Neophiliacs (1969), which Malcolm Muggeridge loved. He believed disillusion had already set in by 1967-1968, whereas it seems obvious to any left-liberal that that's when the progressive trend in the arts really kicks in and the universities become radicalized.