Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:06:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Who's this SAULT lot then?

Started by Sebastian Cobb, July 04, 2019, 04:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

I heard Let Me Go on Mary Anne Hobbs earlier and thought it was great so decided to check them out.

They seem to be all over the streaming platforms, but there is FUCK ALL information about them anywhere, discogs don't seem to have any info on them or the label they're signed to. Their label site is useless as well.

So anyone know anything about them at all?

Brian Freeze

Ive not long half heard this on t'radio and to my uncultured ears it sounded a little bit like Beth Ditto doing some of the vocals. Possibly.

Sebastian Cobb

Update they've got another lp out - 7. It is good.

Still no real info. Their bandcamp seems to think they're UK though.

https://saultglobal.bandcamp.com/album/7

Sebastian Cobb

They have yet another album coming out, Gilles Peterson played it on his 6 music show. It's related to some of the blm stuff and seems a bit less of a fun soul party album this time, a bit slower and with more serious lyrics. He also revealed some of the people involved. I was surprised to hear one of the producers does stuff for Little Simz, as her stuff is quite gritty and raw yet Sault is much more polished.

poodlefaker

Inflo, who was also involved with the last two Michael Kiwanuka albums. I think the vocals are Cleo Sol.

Head Gardener

they were featured in a good mix a friend did last year

Amahla – "Consider This"
Sault – "Waterfalls"
Little Simz – "Pressure"
Neue Grafik Ensemble – "Dedicated to Marie Paule"
Bryony Jarman-Pinto – "Emerge"
Blood Orange – "Berlin"
Melo-Zed – "Savanah"
Tawiah – "Good"
Loraine James – "Vowel Consonant"
King Midas Sound – "Zeros"
Tony Njoku – "Glorious"
The Comet Is Coming – "Blood of the Past"
Hejira – "Thread of Gold"
Kokoroko – "Uman"
Kano – "Got My Brandy, Got My Beats"
FKA Twigs – "Cellophane"
Klein – "Claim It" (
Nerija – "Blume"
Michael Kiwanuka – "Light"
Amahla – "These Times I'll Wait"

https://musicophilia.wordpress.com/2020/01/04/old-souls-pt-8-london/

Sebastian Cobb

That looks like a great tracklist, will listen! Nice moody artwork as well, slight throwback to The Streets as well.
Quote from: poodlefaker on June 16, 2020, 12:20:20 PM
Inflo, who was also involved with the last two Michael Kiwanuka albums. I think the vocals are Cleo Sol.

Yeah, think you're right with Cleo Sol now you mention it, the name cropped up on the show but I forgot and couldn't be bothered re-listening.

Sebastian Cobb

New album out now, just in time for bandcamp day.

Blinder Data

ANOTHER new album out now - called Untitled (Rise).

I'm listening to Untitled (Black Is) from June, it's great - especially loving the afrobeaty 'Bow'. Good stuff on a sunny day

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah I ordered that but haven't listened yet. Still waiting for Untitled (Black Is) to turn up.

justin_bennett

Just checked their website and the Untitled (Black Is) album is there for free download via a WeTransfer link.

https://www.sault.global/