Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:35:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

John Carpenter

Started by bgmnts, July 05, 2019, 01:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zomgmouse

Russell was a fantastic Elvis!

oy vey

"I'm Elvis" - Father Jack.

Today's fix - a new re:view of In the Mouth of Madness by RLM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6VNAcd1Dgs&t=698s

greenman

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on July 09, 2019, 01:42:27 PMEscape From LA...(some of) its parts are better than its sum.  It has moments, but too much of it feels like a made for TV parody of New York, which would be fine if that was the intention.  Which it wasn't.  Amazing that the original draft of the script was even more cheesy and comical before JC, Debra Hill and Kurt rewrote it.  Also Peter Fonda's cameo - one of the worst scenes in mainstream sci-fi history if you ask me.

Vampires, at the time, was a pretty spunky little film and seemed to point toward JC making a comeback, and for a little while there it had quite a devoted cult following worldwide (IIRC when it came out it was one of the biggest selling VCDs ever in East Asia, which, at a time when it was the most popular format over there, was a LOT of VCDs).  Alas, it's another one that has suffered from clock ticking decrepitude and current critical and audient thinking is even worse than when it came out (when it got mixed reviews, although nothing overwhelmingly negative from memory).

A lot of that stage of his career feels like it should have been on TV, Vampires always felt a bit like a pilot episode of a TV series that morphed into a stand alone film to me having a pretty decent and prolonged setup but a rather bland climax.

QuoteIn the Mouth of Madness is definitely the last properly decent film he made.  I got the American Shout Factory blu ray release when it came out, and it REALLY REALLY holds up well.  I think it's up there with his best late 70s/early 80s films.

I really need to pick this up as I remember enjoying it from TV viewing in the past, my memory is it was a  little "Stephen King TV movie" in places(which I spose makes some sense given the plot) but very effective in others, arguably one of the best more overt lovecraftian horrors?